PDA

View Full Version : multiparent....how?

a_joke
02-18-2006, 07:13 AM
i've been trying to use multiparent and can't get it to work. what am i missing. need help please.

a_joke

Suricate
02-19-2006, 03:47 PM
What kind of problems do you encounter ? You cannot load the plug-in or do you need explanation how it works ?

a_joke
02-19-2006, 04:58 PM
how it works...do i have to link a keyfader to it? cause i tried and i know i'm doing something wrong just don't know what. anything is much appreciated.

Suricate
02-20-2006, 06:27 AM
You need one object that is controlled by the expression ('child'), up to four different parents 'parent1' to 'parent4') and one controller item that controls which item the child shoud be parented to. Then the basic expression is:

MultiParent(child, parent1, parent2, parent3, parent4, selector, channel)

where:
'child ' is the object that should be parented to the one of the 4 parents.
'parent1', 'parent2', 'parent3', 'parent4' are the possible dynamic parents. If you want to use less than 4 parents, just set the remaining values to the value of 'child'
'selector' is the item whose motion will select the parent and 'channel' is the channel of the selector item that determines the parent (0 = xpos, 1 = ypos etc.)

Depending of the keyframes of the selector channel, the 'child' object will be dynamically parented to one or two parents (with interpolation) according to the following scheme:

1 <= keyframe value < 2: parent 1
2 <= keyframe value < 3: parent 2
3 <= keyframe value < 4: parent 3
4 <= keyframe value < 5: parent 4
any other value: no parent, i.e. the child object will retain its original motion.

If you have a keyframe at frame 10 with the value of 1 and a keyframe at frame 20 with the value of 4, the child object will be at parented to 'parent1' at frame 10 and to 'parent4 ' at frame 20. Inbetween frames 10 and 20 it will be parented to both 'parent1' and 'parent4'.

Let me know if this explanation is enough or if you need help with a specific setup.

a_joke
02-22-2006, 04:32 AM
thanks i'll give it a go!! much appreciated.

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2006, 04:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.