PDA

View Full Version : animation -electron microscope look

peterpro
12-11-2002, 07:57 PM
Ok, lets try this again.

electron microscope look

download this avi here (http://www.digitaltreats.com/animation/mov/Petes_electron_hair_example3.avi)

ITs a divx4 encoded avi, if you need the codec it's also in the dir
divx 5 will also play it.

I havn't posted any of my work before on cgtalk, so here it is.
this is a quicky for me, let me know what you think of it.
Any ideas how to do the electron microscope look? make it better looking.
Is this passable for that style..

comments are welcome =)
if you'd like, guess how I did it. what programs i used ect.
I'll post later what i did.

pete:beer:

Remi
12-11-2002, 08:37 PM
My father uses these things and when you're using an electron mic there isn't much motion on the object really unless the object itself is moving and the radiation from the mic kills most anything pretty quickly.....Other than that the look is very good and looks like a EM's output...great job....:surprised :bounce: :thumbsup:

handiklap
12-11-2002, 08:52 PM
electron microscopes don't use light, so the specularity (or at least, what appears to be highlights on certain sections :surprised: ) doesn't quite fit - it looks almost shiny, which would be impossible to produce in a real electron microscope. from a purely modelling standpoint, it's extremely convincing :thumbsup: , and i also like the panning - maybe have it jitter back just a bit at the end of each pan, making it sorta....machine like? like the electron receiver stops suddenly at the end of a pan and kinda jiggles a slight bit.

handiklap

peterpro
12-11-2002, 11:13 PM
thanks remi,
having never really used an electron microscope..
and only using the simple playschool microcsopes =)
i remember than any movement really made the entire slide move alot in the viewfinder. so i tried to make a quick movements to simulate someone screwing with the focus and dials to lock into the detail.

the object is a lightwave object,
the animation blurs, and masks are all done in fusion.

the floating bits in the back are particles blown out with blur.

the object is a super high res mesh,
I took a peice of paper,
ripped it
photographed it,
cloned it in photoshop,
created a seamless map
and made a grey hicon

i then used this to deform the geometry(being high res mesh, it deformed nicely)
the look is created with gradients and more gradients
and dof was used as well.

Once I had a still, the rest is done in fusion. - glow, defocus, particles, masks and 2d movement in fusion (which i hope they improved in 4.0)

total time was about 4 hours. 2 hours for the hair, 2 hours to comp it, (i had about 3 versions before choosing on this one)
most of the time was finding the style in lw, comping was more a matter of looking for a tool to have fun with. Mainstream tools can be used so many differnt ways.
=)

Remi
12-12-2002, 12:17 AM
I guessed Lightwave....yay for me:applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.