PDA

View Full Version : Not enough memory to create blur

igorstshirts
02-18-2006, 12:56 AM
Hey,
So I have this scene almost done, it's done 1280 by 600 at 30 fps. AE has been super stable and cooperative up to this point but I am now starting to feel the effects of all my big MOVs and PSDs in my comp and I was wondering if anyone out there figured out how to get AE to utilize the 3gb of RAM the help files say you can. I have 8 gigs of RAM in my machine and my scratch and memory setting maxed out in AE. I'm on XP.

Has anyone got AE to use 3 gigs? Any advice, help or links would be super cool. I know I can break this shot into several but semi-complex pan/zoom along with DOF is making me wanna do most of it in one shot. Thanks in advance.
http://www.igorstshirts.com/temp/error.jpg

tb582
02-18-2006, 02:22 AM
I'm assuming that you have already edited the xp boot file to the 3gb switch?

Mylenium
02-18-2006, 07:54 AM
Hey,
So I have this scene almost done, it's done 1280 by 600 at 30 fps. AE has been super stable and cooperative up to this point but I am now starting to feel the effects of all my big MOVs and PSDs in my comp and I was wondering if anyone out there figured out how to get AE to utilize the 3gb of RAM the help files say you can. I have 8 gigs of RAM in my machine and my scratch and memory setting maxed out in AE. I'm on XP.

Has anyone got AE to use 3 gigs? Any advice, help or links would be super cool. I know I can break this shot into several but semi-complex pan/zoom along with DOF is making me wanna do most of it in one shot. Thanks in advance.

How long is your blur?

Mylenium

igorstshirts
02-18-2006, 04:43 PM
tb582,
I'm not quite sure how to do that but it sounds like the first step in the right direction. I'll look it up and try it. Thanks! Anything else I need to do if I figure that out?

Mylenium,
The blur is the duration of the clip... 10 seconds.

Thanks for the quick replies. Later!

Mylenium
02-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Mylenium,

The blur is the duration of the clip... 10 seconds.

No, I mean its length in pixels. From the picture I assume you'r trying to apply a directional blur to convey the illusion of speed. It's quite possible that extreme lengths exhaust the frame buffer.

Mylenium

igorstshirts
02-18-2006, 06:24 PM
Mylenium,
The blur is not a motion blur. I have DOF enabled, so all of my cards and movies correspond from the distance of the camera. I'm not sure about the pixel focal length right now.

However,
the frame buffer exhausting is probably an issue... Any remedies for that?

scrimski
02-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Use proxies for your (pre)compositions.

igorstshirts
02-18-2006, 07:39 PM
scrimski,
Thanks bro... I've not used proxies before... That might do the trick.

tb582
02-19-2006, 03:52 AM
tb582,
I'm not quite sure how to do that but it sounds like the first step in the right direction. I'll look it up and try it. Thanks! Anything else I need to do if I figure that out?

Sorry I should have posted the link earlier..

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

m|3
02-19-2006, 04:01 AM
In somewhat similar situations I've had luck re-rendering the comp as an image sequence instead of a .mov or .avi.

igorstshirts
02-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Tony,
Thanks for the link... Super informative!

m|3,
Props for the heads up... It's always nice to have options.

Thanks for all you guys' help... Later!

igorstshirts
02-21-2006, 05:42 AM
tb582,
Thanks again for the link... No more memory errors, for the meantime anyways.
Had a little trouble changing out the boot.ini file due to the read-only box being checked... Doh! Lost a half hour outta my life. Looks like this beast might get rendered out after all. Later!
http://www.igorstshirts.com/temp/3gbswitch.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
02-21-2006, 05:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.