PDA

View Full Version : 90 Degrees - Amazing shortfilm

SheepFactory
02-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Yet another amazing short film from France , what do they feed the artists there? :)

http://www.90degrees.fr/

you can view the full short here:

http://www.beam.tv/beamreels/reel_player.php?reel=PdnyzcDdVK&reel_file=wKWdtCShjv&fs=1

Dennik
02-17-2006, 07:59 PM
Hmm, the download stopped in the middle probably due to heavy traffic, but wow, what an eye candy. I love those french and their crazy ideas! It must be a cultural thing.

I'm usually not too fond of abstract art in general, but that can be an exception.

Slurry
02-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Yowza!

The whole time I watched it I was thinking to myself, How did they DO THAT?!
Crazy conceptual stuff and superb execution.
Not very fulfilling (for me) as far as story or anything but, like Dennik said, great eye candy.
Their minds are definitely on a different frequency.
Really amzing stuff.
Thanks for sharing that.

Art

SheepFactory
02-17-2006, 08:04 PM
Hmm, the download stopped in the middle probably due to heavy traffic, but wow, what an eye candy. I love those french and their crazy ideas! It must be a cultural thing.

I'm usually not too fond of abstract art in general, but that can be an exception.

Thats a shame cause it gets really crazy towards the end

seven6ty
02-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Yar, my ADD got the better of me and I wasn't able to finish it. Seemed pretty cool, but didn't find much of a point to it, although maybe you have to actually watch the whole thing and do somethinkin on it or something. That, and I was like, booger, no deformations!

Dennik
02-17-2006, 08:18 PM
It finally finished downloading. Trully crazy untill the end. My mind would never think this way for sure.

I noticed some slight similarities to the style with an older short called Theros (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=240957&highlight=abstract)
Anyone got the same impression?

heavyness
02-17-2006, 08:36 PM
saw that short over here (http://www.maxunderground.com/) and just figured someone posted on cgtalk already.

yes, very well done animation. i love everything about it. i need to get the music! sounds like aphex twin.

SMWilly
Theres such authority in the movements, and the audio is piercing. Very awing, and unique.

strangelife
Ugh..painfully slow download....curiosity is maddening.

wow. that was tricky. c'est bon.

visionmaster2
02-17-2006, 08:54 PM
c'est trop de la balllll !

nice concept and superb music ( c'est qui ? )..front page stufff :buttrock:

JeremyJessup
02-17-2006, 10:29 PM
I agree with Slurry... a little disappointing from the story side of it, but phenomenal animation and effects. The concept is very unique and visually appealing. Excellent work.

Malcolm7
02-18-2006, 02:39 PM
wow great effect work !!

LoTekK
02-18-2006, 05:58 PM
That was seriously trippy. Loved the music, and the visuals were just amazing. *saves to hard drive for future viewing*

yenvalmar
02-18-2006, 06:13 PM
to anyone who is going to bother to download this at all, it is definitely worth sticking through to the very end.

chalkman
02-18-2006, 06:49 PM
This commercial is from 2002 but it is still one of my all time favorites. TV spot for Gaz De France done by La Maison production house. Have a peek: http://www.alamaison.fr/francais/rubriques/galerie/pub/2002/gdf/film/gdf_real.mpg
:thumbsup:

reForm
02-18-2006, 11:28 PM
My jaw has hit the floor....
Breathtaking work.
Well done to the makers!..... do they post on cgtalk?

eek
02-18-2006, 11:42 PM
stunning work.

reminds me of chris cunninghams work. Looks like lots of post work going on.

eek

Zendorf
02-19-2006, 01:15 AM
Thanks for posting...that was truly mindblowing! I haven't been as inspired by a cg short as much as this since Ryan. This has given me a lot of ideas for the short I am working on :twisted:

lehmi
02-20-2006, 07:12 AM
love it!

although it's a bit too long.

Awesome ideas and very innovative visuals!

H2
02-20-2006, 09:23 AM
I saw this at this years animex and was amazed by it! It won best experimental 3D. Crazzzy stuff I would also like to kno wht they feed these guys...as always a consistent flow of awesome work coming out of france.

Thanks for the link! I had been lookin for this short for a while now!

storyForge
02-20-2006, 10:41 PM
wow O_O *picks jaw up off the floor*

ghZaaaRK
02-20-2006, 11:28 PM
Damn, why lock up content website with FLASH?!!
I can't navigate thorough the website (uninteroperable Flash 8 is needed)
And BeamTV same business, it doesn't work on free operating system.

Please, for web content, respect users by the respect of w3c standards.

Give us a direct link to this video, please.

Paul F Diaz
02-21-2006, 03:02 AM
WoW! That was incredible, very inventive.

krisr
02-21-2006, 04:26 AM
Wow, this is amazing. A bit long but absolutley technically stunning work. I have no idea how much of that was achieved. I really would love to know more abou this (artists, software, techniques, time frame, etc.). Yeah, its a shame the website kinda chokes. Beam TV won't allow you direct access to the quicktime file either so you can't provide an alternate link I don't think. If anyone can provide a direct link....please post it. I would love to save this.

Layer01
02-21-2006, 09:15 AM
has anyone figured out how to save the movie to disk? QT has no right click option to save it and i can't find it in the cache...anyone?

awesome movie btw...mind blowing

reForm
02-21-2006, 10:09 AM
I managed to get it by simply doing a file-save-as in firefox.
Seemed to work....

Layer01
02-21-2006, 10:22 AM
really? i tried that (file>Save Page As) all i got was reel_player.php.html (thats from the beamtv site, not the film's homepage btw)
and in case this matters i'm opening it in a new tab. and i can't find it in the cache..its bugging me as i really would like to keep this to show my friends later on..

AJ
02-21-2006, 11:49 AM
There are a few times when watching something you think "How did they do that...?"

I think I counted about 4'000 times with this one.

Marvellous stuff.

mv
02-21-2006, 12:46 PM
Great short! supinfocom again...

krisr
02-21-2006, 02:05 PM
What is Supinfocom anyway? I always see there shorts at Siggraph, etc. and most of them are pretty well executed and quite long. They must have a massive staff or something. The website is all in French. Anyone care to share some info on this studio and what exactly do they do?

AJ
02-21-2006, 02:10 PM
What is Supinfocom anyway? I always see there shorts at Siggraph, etc. and most of them are pretty well executed and quite long. They must have a massive staff or something. The website is all in French. Anyone care to share some info on this studio and what exactly do they do?

It's not a studio - it's a University.

krisr
02-21-2006, 02:49 PM
Ahhh, I see now. Nice! Anyone here go to that university? Would like to know more about.

Darktwin
02-21-2006, 05:02 PM
very awesome stuff, I really liked the music and how it was executed with the animation of the enviornment and character. I also enjoyed the grays, blacks and blues as a palette throughout the entire short, it set a really nice mood. Thats really awesome for a school to do something experimental like that.

Layer01
02-21-2006, 08:56 PM
Yeah supinfocom is awesome, they make the most amazing stuff.

as for the video, still no luck saving it here, has anyone else managed to save it? or..and this is asking a lot i realise, could someone who has saved it maybe upload it temporarily on rapidshare.de or filefront.com maybe? :)

joshooa
02-22-2006, 02:00 AM
90º video 72.8mb
http://rapidshare.de/files/13836214/90_.mov.html

joshooa
02-22-2006, 02:08 AM
90 degree video 72.8mb

http://rapidshare.de/files/13836214/90_.mov.html

noxy
02-22-2006, 05:48 AM
I was able to save it using Flashget. I right clicked and used the Flashgot all command. It saved a file that was around 70 mb that I renamed to a quicktime. Sorry, I don't have the web space to upload it, but let me know if you can't figure it out, I could maybe upload it to rapidshare tomorrow (if the creators didn't object, maybe they have a reason for not making a download link). :shrug:

Noxy

AlbertArt
02-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Very well thoughtout and thought-provoking aswell. The planning stages must have been complex and the boarding must have been interesting. This is truly unique and an amazing visual and audio short.

Excellent! :eek:

ghZaaaRK
02-22-2006, 10:50 PM
wow...w0W....WOW!Genious!
Gorgeous! totally insane. I have to breeeathe!

thank you for the file!

seeya

They must have a massive staff or something. The website is all in French. Anyone care to share some info on this studio and what exactly do they do?

Yes i could, but i can't browse the website, i don't have stupid flash 8 :/
If you would print here the 90° website content, i'll translate it for you.

Dustdevil
02-22-2006, 11:46 PM
'lo Folks.

I'm a final year student at Supinfocom, which isn't exactly a university but indeed a CG animation school. I'd be delighted to answer questions if you have any. :)

cubiman
02-23-2006, 12:20 PM
'I'm a final year student at Supinfocom'<<< Are you in Valenciennes Dustdevil?

krisr
02-23-2006, 02:08 PM
'lo Folks.

I'm a final year student at Supinfocom, which isn't exactly a university but indeed a CG animation school. I'd be delighted to answer questions if you have any. :)

I'm just curious to know some general info about the school. How many students? How many schools? What software is used? Is it a 3d animation school or an arts school that also teaches fine arts as well? Any english website?

Mojo Rizen
02-23-2006, 04:37 PM
The feel and color remind me of old black and white silent films like Metroplois

ghZaaaRK
02-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Dustdevil: If you have more information on this short, you could share it with us :)

JeroenDStout
02-23-2006, 08:39 PM
Amazing and outstanding! That's brilliance!

Halfway through somehow my largest thought was that if someone would make a game out of this, making such a stylish and surreal world evolve around you whilst you just run for your head, it'd buy it and make sure everybody I ever have met would buy it :) I'd really love to see such expressionistic things leave the 'safe realm of animation' and cross the anistral planes to games.

Dennik
02-23-2006, 09:02 PM
Amazing and outstanding! That's brilliance!

Halfway through somehow my largest thought was that if someone would make a game out of this, making such a stylish and surreal world evolve around you whilst you just run for your head, it'd buy it and make sure everybody I ever have met would buy it :) I'd really love to see such expressionistic things leave the 'safe realm of animation' and cross the anistral planes to games.

So true... If only the industry didn't play it that safe...

Dustdevil
02-24-2006, 08:09 AM
Yup, Cubiman, Valenciennes. :)

To stay short, Supinfocom is 2 CG schools, one in Valenciennes(North of France), the other in Arles(South...). It's a 4 (soon 5) year course. The first two years serve as an art prep (color, art history, Photoshop, After Effects, illustration, Gestalt Theory etc...) and the final two years (soon 3) is where the "real" fun starts.

3rd year, you learn the 3d software (either Max or Maya in Valenciennes, just Max in Arles), and work on preproduction of a short film.

4th year, you do a 3d previz and start production in january, deadline being at the end of june. Voilà!

We're about 150 students in total (at least for Valenciennes). We work in teams of three. 16 short films from Valenciennes, 8 from Arles. We complete the cursus by presenting our shorts to a jury of professionals (a bit of everything. Last year was The Mill, Framestore, Buf, MacGuff Ligne, Dreamworks, Pixar etc... etc...). That's it basically.

What I know of 90°. Not much actually. It was done with Max. The sound design was done with Acid by one the guys. And, as far as I know, the two others work for The Mill now.

Npui
02-25-2006, 04:04 AM
love so much... kind of short only few people can imagine...
(sup, vals, tertia3000, i know what u meen...)

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2006, 04:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.