PDA

View Full Version : Basset Hound Warrior, C&C! Be cruel!

Ray Frenden
02-17-2006, 03:18 PM
I'm really in a bind. I can't seem to push my images any further than this:

http://static.flickr.com/25/92000553_41a8ca98a3_o.jpg

They always feel flat to me, and I think it's because I'm either not highlighting bright enough or making my shadows dark enough, but I'm not sure if that's the case.

Anything seem obviously overlooked? What should I do it at this point?

Thanks in advance, and be cruel. It's the quickest way to learn!

ThePhotographer
02-17-2006, 09:27 PM
I find it's a very, very cute and nice design you have going here. You have already given the crits yourself : a little more dark shadows and bright highlights would do wonders. Other than that I don't really have anything to say other than continue - you're doing QUITE well already !

Ray Frenden
02-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Thanks. Let me ask a quick question. I've read that there are no true blacks and that shadows typically are colored with reflected light. I might be overthinking things, but I tend not to use any true blacks.

Is that sound?

CulturedBum
02-17-2006, 11:30 PM
i like this piece, to answer your question id say give it some brighter colors, just change the color settings and that should help, i have a question though you picture seems a little foggy in the background is that intentional?

other than that good work.

-" only a fool tests the depth of the water with both feet" -chinese proverb

-Cultured Bum-

LDiehl
02-18-2006, 12:33 AM
What are your goals with this piece? Because right now it seems to me like a cartoon mascot, in the sense that it is meant to sit on a website and work with a (primarily gray) web design, or a t-shirt or something of the like. Is this what you intend to do with it?

However, if you are thinking to make it a finished "painting" I can suggest a few things. (1) Give him a background, he can still be the main focus, but expand the canvas out and think scenery, lighting, composition. (2) If you do this you will find that you are automatically presented with new variables to work with. So you can use the scene to inform the type of light, both direct and bounced, that is falling on your dog warrior (i.e.: if you put him victorious on the top of a steep grassy hill at noon, you will have green reflected light from grass and direct white sunlight coming down.) (3) Detail, once you have him settled in a composition, I would suggest getting in close and giving him a rich fur texture -differentiating the "feel" of his fur from the flag, metal dog-tag etc.)

Hope this helps a little, I'll keep a watch on this thread; feel free to ask me questions as you go. Good luck taking this further! It could be great, you know.

CGTalk Moderation
02-18-2006, 12:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.