PDA

View Full Version : PROJECT PHOENIX ENTRY: Mike Perusse

mike33
02-17-2006, 04:57 AM
All, I'm taking the plunge into this contest though I do not think I will finish (to many other life events going on).
I'm going to give it a shot and hope to gain some EIAS experience by it at the very least.

Cheers, Mike...

CGTalk EIAS Forum: Project Phoenix Mini Contest Treatment:

The Story:

In the far off future milk delivery man Thaddeus MacDonald has come to the end of his rope. He’s tired of his job and life’s day to day struggles. He needs to find a new road to travel.

Well today Thaddeus unexpectedly finds that new path and he embarks on a journey of rebirth and transformation.

It all began this morning when he decided to hot dog “Ol’ Bossy” through the Dragon’s Horns. Ya see, “Ol’ Bossy” is a vintage 3029 Pellitier Oxen 2 light transporter, and ya just don’t go hot dogging one of those old beasts. Needless to say the rightside engine couldn’t take the strain and Thaddeus found himself knee deep in the shallow lakes by the a new monastery out towards Johnson City.

Let me tell ya, that boy knows he can’t be going back home now. So he does what any good milk delivery man would do. He picks up the last surviving bottle of milk and heads for that there monestary to see if he can barter it for some beer.

Well Thaddeus MacDonald found a lot more then beer in that place... he found a future
much brighter then he ever imagined.

Story by: ©2006 M.Perusse

mike33
02-17-2006, 05:20 AM
So here's the first sketch. It's rough, I decided to show Thaddeus's first steps to the rebirth and transformation he's about to experience.

EI Modeler 5 is the tool, G4/400 is the machine.

file:///Volumes/Skimmer/2006%20Projects/Illustration/Pheonix%20-%20cgtalk%20challenge/Images/CGTalk-Proj-Phoenix-sketch1.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/spottedskimmer/.Pictures/Doodles/CGTalk-Project-Phoenix-sket.jpg

Vizfizz
02-17-2006, 05:24 AM
I'm pleased that you've decided to enter Mike. :thumbsup:

You've got a good 4.5 weeks to construct something. I'm sure once the creative juices start flowing.. you'll be surprised what you'll be able to accomplish.

mike33
02-17-2006, 05:30 AM
Thanks Brian. This mini contest will pull me away from another project for a little while, but I think if I can stay focused it will help no matter what.

Cheers,

Mike

Vizfizz
02-17-2006, 05:34 AM
Well, if we can attract more contestants, the prize package will improve. I have a new "_________" that's just waiting to go home with someone. ;) Course, we'll need at least 8 more entries before I'll offer it.

richardjoly
02-23-2006, 09:30 PM
Mike, I read in Q&A that you never made a spherical map for a sky. You might already know this but here is an old trick to get rid of the pinch effect that will occur when using this kind of map. You have to start with an image in a 1 X 2 ratio.

http://www.rdn.qc.ca/images/Unpinching_Spherical_maps.jpg

mike33
02-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Hi Rick,

Thank you very much for the link/tip. You just saved me some prescious time!

~Mike

mike33
03-10-2006, 05:10 AM
Hi All,

Well it's been a time and general EI modeling speed challenge to say the least.
This contest sure opened my eyes on how much I've forgotten over the last few years
and how much I need to learn to accomplish my future goals.

Also having a newborn sure is a wonderful experience and it's extremely difficult not to want to just hang with my daughter. Anyhow, I'm posting an image show my current status. It's just a screen grab. I'm not sure how much more I'll get done before 3/15, but will continue working until that day and then decide if it's worth finishing.

Cheers,

Mike

mike33
03-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Hi All,

Well started off with a spark, ended with a pffft... I will not finish my modeling in time
for the 3/15 deadline.

Without making any excuses, I found I need a lot more EIAS experience
to work more effciently. I'm still spending a lot of time thinking of how to model,
light, set materials, etc.

I may or may not finish this project on the side...

Thanks all for helping me with my questions and Brian for instigating the challenge.

Till the next time... Cheers, good luck everyone,

~Mike

richardjoly
03-16-2006, 02:26 AM
Till the next time... Cheers, good luck everyone,

Quality time with your kid is far more important than any contest. Maybe next time.
If you find the time to finish the project someday, please post it here... I would love to see the end result.

tjs61822
03-16-2006, 02:52 AM
Mike, sorry you're not able to finish. I was looking forward to seeing your idea developed. Kids are only with us a short time but contests will be around forever. Enjoy them while you can.

Tim

CGTalk Moderation
03-16-2006, 02:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.