PDA

View Full Version : AE iff or rla z depth question (again)

neurobasics
02-17-2006, 02:25 AM
i have an iff file and rla file with z depth from maya.
... have no problem importing the files and the 3d channel extraction works fine (i see the b&w z depth info)
the problem i am facing is the order of layers.
here is what i got so far:
top layer: the .rla file with applied effects: extracted 3d channel- z depth.
middle layer: adjustment layer with luma inverted matte and gaussian blur.
last layer: the actual beauty/colour layer.

from what i understand the adjustment layer should apply the blur to the darker parts(the darker parts being the furthest ones) of the layer above it: the z depth layer. which in its turn should affect the bottom-beauty/colour layer.

but it doesn't work.

should i turn down the opacity of any of these? do i turn off visibility of any of those? have i gotten the order wrong?
thanks in advance for any help.

AroundTheFur
03-14-2006, 02:02 AM
If you are going for DOF in After effects you want to use solely the DOF effect on the layer with z-depth data. Or you can use the extract z-depth on a copy of that layer, and then use the compound blur with the source layer set to the layer with the extracted z-depth. However, both these solutions yield poor results. If you dont mind spending a little money I recomend getting the Lenscare (http://www.frischluft.com/lenscare/description.php) plugin. This will work similarly to the compound blur solution, but with amazingly accurate DOF. Hope this helps.

-s

CGTalk Moderation
03-14-2006, 02:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.