PDA

View Full Version : IES..how?

LOOK_AT_ME
02-17-2006, 01:59 AM
hi, can any one please tell how to use ies lights for maya I have read the threads on ies on cgtalk ...i cant still get it right...a little info how to setup. would really help ...thanx

Sully
02-21-2006, 10:27 AM
Hi yes you have to have your IES profile and then all you do is create a light not sure if its has to be a spot or point light but thats what i normally use.. go into the light attributes, mentalray, custom shaders, light shaders and add a mib_light_photometric then slap your IES file into the profile slot...

LOOK_AT_ME
02-21-2006, 04:34 PM
hey thanx but i did it and there is no illumination it render dark very dark
.....black render...is there some rules that i have to follow to get the right result .... some one told me it is the size of the scene??? please let me know thanx
ankit

Sully
02-21-2006, 04:52 PM
In Maya the Ies profile only controls the light fall off, which means you can control the intensity multiplier, I havnt used it for a while but i dont think real world scale is critical but it is always a good idea to model to real world scale. Also you obviously have to render with Mentalray and i think thats pretty much it just make sure your light is bright enough..

ther0ly
03-25-2006, 01:36 AM
Hey guys, i followed your conversation about ies lights and i was able to bring in the ies information according to Sullys walkthrough and i still could not get it to work. all i got was a black screen. i upped the intensity all the way to 50 million and still nothing. i was wondering if anyone could post a file that correctly renders out the ies information. im at my wits end here. any help would be appriciated. thanks

Sully
03-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Where were you uping the intensity in the photmetric light or the normal maya light? I havent got any light profiles on me at the mo to check it out but as i remember it yo have to change the intensity in the photometric light, you do this by selecting the white colour and changing the v value to something above its default, which is 1000 i think then it should work fine.. Let me know if your still having problems and i wil try to post a file for you...

ther0ly
03-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Thanks! I was upping the intensity of the maya light. as soon as i rasied the v value the light showed up.

i was also able to get the ies light to work with a different method. i took a point light and under the mental ray attributes i selected Light Profile which brought in a mentalrayLightProfile node. i used that to bring in the ies information. the difference with this method is that the maya point light attributes is what controls the intensity color, etc. but in the end its all the same. thanks for the help u stoped some hair loss.

CGTalk Moderation
03-25-2006, 07:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.