PDA

View Full Version : does Adobe Dynamic Link act as a frameserver?

nessus
02-16-2006, 11:55 PM
i have tried the trial version of premiere pro 2, and under its File menu, this is an option called "Dynamic Link". although this function is not available in trial version, from the definition on adobe's website, "Adobe Dynamic Link provides a major step forward in workflow integration by eliminating the need to rerender compositions when moving from Adobe After Effects® to Adobe Premiere® Pro and Adobe Encore® DVD software."

so can i understand this as somewhat a built-in frameserver? as i have just recently start learning video comp and edit, i am just wondering how this was handled in a professional situation before this method was available? like compositors would do their work in a comp software, output using a lossless codec or sequence of still images, then imported to editing program such as premiere or final cut pro?

i was thinking although the quality is not lost during the output and input, the actual render time of each output would still be long and unnecessary, and thats where frameserver comes in place, right?

Mylenium
02-17-2006, 07:08 AM
i have tried the trial version of premiere pro 2, and under its File menu, this is an option called "Dynamic Link". although this function is not available in trial version, from the definition on adobe's website, "Adobe Dynamic Link provides a major step forward in workflow integration by eliminating the need to rerender compositions when moving from Adobe After Effects® to Adobe Premiere® Pro and Adobe Encore® DVD software."

so can i understand this as somewhat a built-in frameserver? as i have just recently start learning video comp and edit, i am just wondering how this was handled in a professional situation before this method was available? like compositors would do their work in a comp software, output using a lossless codec or sequence of still images, then imported to editing program such as premiere or final cut pro?

i was thinking although the quality is not lost during the output and input, the actual render time of each output would still be long and unnecessary, and thats where frameserver comes in place, right?

Wrong. Quite frankly in a serious production pipline this is completely neglectible as different people are doing each separate step on different systems anyway. In comparison to other parts of the work, im- and export procedures can consume as little as zero additional time (if you e.g. use references and not flattened clips or render your stuff out in formats native to the system you are going to import in). Adobes solution is also limited to their own apps and thus only people using those benefit from it. Needless to say that many people don't work this way, least of all big pro facilities. From my POV this is a completely nonsense feature for about 80% of users.

As for the rendering improvements - well, that could be argued. Dynamic Link fires up a full AE as a background process and if you have Premiere or Encore open, so you effectively already have less RAM for rendering. You are also introducing a lag due to the frameserving (constant passing back and forth of buffers). Depending on the complexity, this could become so inefficient, that all advantages are lost. It's a complete moot point again in a halfway big facility - you can always fire your stuff to a render farm or have it render overnight on your workstation.

Mylenium

nessus
02-17-2006, 09:51 AM
thx alot Mylenium!

as i dont have a perfessional background in this area, this is exactly the information that i was looking for.
so based on what u have said, frameserving or this dynamic link thing would probably benefit some small studio or personal uses since they dont have powerful render powers and the work they deal is relatively simpler than pro studios as long as the process is straight forward and simple.

thank you!

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2006, 09:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.