PDA

View Full Version : Cel Shading frame rate question

dragonfollower
02-16-2006, 10:08 PM
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what steps I would take to achieve a frame rate similar to what is used in 2D animated cartoons?

I'm doing an animation that is cel-shaded and part of that look is getting it to move right. As I understand it, traditional-hand drawn animation is shot on "2's", meaning each image is held for 2 frames. I plan on doing this at 24 fps, so basically, that would be 12 actual frames of animation.

Are there any ways of achieving this effect within the 3D software? I was thinking of using a frame step of 2, but I'm not sure if that is what I'm looking for.

Any help would be great!

-Brian

NanoGator
02-16-2006, 10:59 PM
Are you using Premiere or After Effects? One trick would be to set LW to 12 fps, do your animation, render it etc. If you load the image sequence into AE, you'll just need to set it to 12 fps. With Premier... it's been a long time since I've used it... I think what you need to do is set its preferences so that it holds each image in a sequence twice instead of 30 times. (i.e. 1 frame per second...)

Erm.. I guess that's not THAT helpful, but setting LW to 12fps should help you a lot. :)

softdistortion
02-17-2006, 04:48 PM
hmmm...good idea, but wouldn't he need to set his composition to 24FPS in AE and use time stretch 200% to make each of the 12fps frames play 2xs at 24 FPS?

NanoGator
02-17-2006, 06:32 PM
hmmm...good idea, but wouldn't he need to set his composition to 24FPS in AE and use time stretch 200% to make each of the 12fps frames play 2xs at 24 FPS?

If the composition is set to 24fps and the image sequence is set to 12 fps then, no, you won't have to use Time stretch. It handles everything relatively. :)

kevman3d
02-17-2006, 07:50 PM
re there any ways of achieving this effect within the 3D software? I was thinking of using a frame step of 2, but I'm not sure if that is what I'm looking for.

Yup, if you want to do it all in LW (ie. create a video file) then what you can do is set to render to RGB images (not Animation), and set the frame step to 2 to get your 2's. Render the images out - Each image will be numbered per its original frame number - 1,3,5,7... etc

Clear the scene

Load the image sequence in - It should be running at 24 fps - However the image sequence is rendered in 2's, and the frame numbers will appear accordingly (1,3,5,7...etc). If a frame is missing in an image sequence, LightWave will simply use the previous frame until a new one is found...

Place it into the background using Windows > Compositing

Set your camera to the correct resolution

Set up your render to be animation, set the start and end frame (with frame step of 1) and render... You can now render a 24 fps video in 2's. :D

Kev.

dragonfollower
02-17-2006, 08:27 PM
Awesome! Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll try rendering twice, once with the frame step set to 2, and once with it set to 1 and then compositing the .tga I think. If that turns out taking too much rendering time, I'll just try stretching it in Premiere or AE.

Thanks again!

-Brian

softdistortion
02-18-2006, 02:09 AM
If the composition is set to 24fps and the image sequence is set to 12 fps then, no, you won't have to use Time stretch. It handles everything relatively. :)

But you'd end up with things playing back twice as fast without stretching. No?
1 sec at 12FPS would have to be half as long if you bump the FPS up to twice the rate?

kevman3d
02-18-2006, 06:15 AM
... with it set to 1 and then compositing the .tga I think. If that turns out taking too much rendering time, I'll just try stretching it in Premiere or AE.

No problemo - It won't take any time to comp and render out (you're essentially just rendering out a flat image, not 3D geometry).

I tend to also use PNG files rather then TGA - TGA's will eat up your hard drive space quickly.

Just 2c on that.

Kev.

CGTalk Moderation
02-18-2006, 06:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.