PDA

View Full Version : Importing into maya

NGRU-Kamikazie
02-16-2006, 10:11 PM
Let me just say, I have used maya for a grand total of about 2 days now, so if you answer back, please be really spific or im gonna get lost easy.

How do I import a camo i guess its called a texture,correct me if i am wrong, into maya and stick it on a model of a mech from mechwarrior. The farthest I got was 1 solid color, using flood or a brush, but how do I add it all at once from an outside source, or is anyone able to link me to a tutorial on how to actually make it in maya. The model is shown below:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b192/NGRU-Kamikazie/MechUnskinned8.jpg

Thanks,
Kamikazie

randm
02-17-2006, 01:14 AM
hi

well i don't know how to import from mechwarrior, but making camo should be pretty easy in maya.

sounds like you were using the 3d paint tool.

try hypershade.
go to Window then Rendering Editors then Hypershade. Create a Material, like Lambert or Blinn. Once it appears in hypershade, click on it and push ctrl and a. This opens attribute editor on the right side (or it will already be open). click on the square checker button next to color. Now you can import a file or make your own, maybe try one of the 3d textures like crater or stucco. 3d textures also have a 3d placement object. If your rendered mech doesn't look at all like the sample swatch of your texture, you probably need to scale the 3d placement object up or down.
make sure your imported objects have UVs. to make them, push f3 first. select a part of your mech. you see up there on top menu it will say Edit Polygons. Do that and go to Texture. the top of that list is your options.

hope this was helpful. when all else fails, use maya help. it's very helpful.

neuromancer1978
02-17-2006, 01:59 AM
Let me just say, I have used maya for a grand total of about 2 days now, so if you answer back, please be really spific or im gonna get lost easy.

How do I import a camo i guess its called a texture,correct me if i am wrong, into maya and stick it on a model of a mech from mechwarrior. The farthest I got was 1 solid color, using flood or a brush, but how do I add it all at once from an outside source, or is anyone able to link me to a tutorial on how to actually make it in maya. The model is shown below:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b192/NGRU-Kamikazie/MechUnskinned8.jpg

Thanks,
Kamikazie

1. This is more of a post related to Rendering, so being in the Dynamics section has no relelvence here.

2. The best way to solve your problem is to learn about UV mapping.

NGRU-Kamikazie
02-17-2006, 02:25 AM
Ty for the info, in any case ill move it.

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2006, 02:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.