PDA

View Full Version : compressing file size

unLevel
12-11-2002, 02:40 PM
Ok, let's say I am working on a website that is based on a photoshop image...

I took it into paintshop pro, sliced it up, and it loaded pretty slow...

Well, I thought that I'd try flash....

Imported the image, added some dynamic text fields so that I could update stuff easily, yada, yada, yada, uploaded it, and it LOADS EVEN SLOWER NOW!

I thought one of the main reasons that someone would be attracted to flash was with the ease that flash made the file sizes smaller on images...

Now, the site loads even slower, to an extent that I won't wait on my own site to load.....

Does any flash gurus have any suggestions?

fig
12-11-2002, 02:47 PM
well, flash file sizes are smaller when they use vector images, not bitmapped (photoshop) ones. there's a few things you can do but if you've got a huge image then you've got a huge image, not much you can change there. don't export one big image and only use part of it tho, make sure your image is cropped to the exact size you need it. also realize that you can create a lot, if not all, of the text on your image in flash instead of in your paint program, if those elements are vector then your filesize will be smaller.

i always export from photoshop as a PNG, then import that into flash and put it in a graphic symbol. putting it in a symbol allows you to control its opacity, animate it, etc. much more easily. under your publish settings you've got a JPG compression slider, play with that and see what your exported movie looks like till you're happy with the compression of the image with regards to file size. hope that helps...

chris

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.