PDA

View Full Version : repeat edge pixels for effects?

andrewjohn81
02-16-2006, 03:12 PM
I want this mostly for blur effects. If you blur the entire image, the edges become transparent.
Is there a way to maybe just repeat all the edge pixels, so that is what is blurred outside of the view?

The only repeat edge pixel option I know of is in offset. That would be a pain. i am just wondering more if there is an existing option that i don't know about.

Mylenium
02-16-2006, 05:03 PM
I want this mostly for blur effects. If you blur the entire image, the edges become transparent.
Is there a way to maybe just repeat all the edge pixels, so that is what is blurred outside of the view?

The only repeat edge pixel option I know of is in offset. That would be a pain. i am just wondering more if there is an existing option that i don't know about.

Box Blur also has an repeat option, but there the goodness ends. But not all hope is lost. Use the Motion Tile effect and set Output width and Output height to 200% or so, then activate the Mirror Edges option. Then apply your blur. This will effectively avoid any edge fading in about 90% of all cases. The only situation where this trick doesn't work to well is with fast moving objects moving in and out of the frame.

Mylenium

andrewjohn81
02-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks!

That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks also for the multiple ways of doing it. Box blur looks fine in this case, but in others it Would be nice to use gausian blur, so thanks for the motion tile option. I had never played with that.
That's actually what we did, but I didn't know about that option. I just created another composition and manually mirrored the frame. lol
What a waste of time. I think I need to go through and see what all the effects are again. It's been a long while since I did that.

Mylenium
02-17-2006, 03:01 PM
Thanks!

That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks also for the multiple ways of doing it. Box blur looks fine in this case, but in others it Would be nice to use gausian blur, so thanks for the motion tile option. I had never played with that.
That's actually what we did, but I didn't know about that option. I just created another composition and manually mirrored the frame. lol
What a waste of time. I think I need to go through and see what all the effects are again. It's been a long while since I did that.

Yeah, it's many times those little things that give you a hard time... ;o)

Mylenium

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2006, 03:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.