View Full Version : Expressions: simple hand close

Looneytoon
02-16-2006, 02:52 PM
Hey All,

I just want to do this on a simple way,
I need a hand to close withe a slider. So I tought to do the following:

- I make an expression of fingers rotating 90
- I assign all pitch-rotatingchannels of the fingerbones to this expression
- I create a slider on my R_Hand_IK_goal and attach the expression I created to this slider

Is this the way to do it? Do i have to rotate my bones for 90 or will the expression do that for me? Let's say I'm an advanced modeller and rigger, but a noobie expression maker... I never had it really into programming, maybe I should.

Regards,

Bob

Niklas Collin
02-16-2006, 03:23 PM
First of all, expressions are a lot easier than one might think. And you don't need to know practically anything about programming to use em. Expressions (basic ones what you'd need for this) work like this: object x moves/rotates/scales along some axis and object y does something at the same time. So you could do something like this:

On MyObject's Pitch channel expression:
[MyObject2.Rotation.P]

Now MyObject2 would rotate on pitch-channel when MyObject rotates on pitch-channel. You can tie these actions into any channel, like if MyObject2 would again rotate on pitch-channel and you'd want to move MyObject on x-axis you'd just assign that very same expression on x-axis on MyObject. The help file that comes with LW helps a lot on this matter.

So to actually answer your questions (hehe, takes some time to get into it :) ), no you don't have to rotate your bones. Just assign expressions that they'll follow something (null object is a good choice) and then attach that null object's rotation on a slider. You can hide that null after that if you like... Hope this helps somewhat :)

adrencg
02-16-2006, 04:52 PM
This is off track a bit, but not totally off topic....

I can't really help with expressions, but MotionMixer is great for hands...It allows me to treat the hands as a separate character, which enables me to focus more on animating the body. There are Mixer tutorials out there, look into it.

Mike

Looneytoon
02-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Hey, Thanx, I'll give it a go

yog
02-17-2006, 02:31 PM
You can do this with expressions, but you will save yourself a LOT of grief if you use the Cycler function instead.

With Cycler you can make a little animation of the parts you want to move, then assign it to another objects properties (i.e. rotation of a Null or the movement of a slider). Not only is this much simpler and quicker than using expressions, but it allows for non linear movement.

pooby
02-17-2006, 06:52 PM
With Vfollowerplus, you can do this with the option of a slider to blend the effect on or off..

It's ideal for hands as you can make fist shapes or whatever and blend straight to them, but also use keyframe animation on individual bones..
`
It's the most useful motion modifier there is......

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2006, 06:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.