PDA

View Full Version : Architectural

kangonto
02-16-2006, 10:47 AM
I'd like to receive some fierce crits and advices from the experts. Thanks

20 Hours of work

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7741/aldan1lo.th.jpg (http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aldan1lo.jpg)

Alonzo
02-16-2006, 01:14 PM
the picture is a little bit small... you posted the wrong link from imageshack... ;)

kangonto
02-16-2006, 01:54 PM
It's just a thumbnail, just click on it. Works for me

joshstanley
02-16-2006, 02:32 PM
Looks good, How does the car get out of the yard?

Josh

JuanManuel
02-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Very nice indeed. But... is that really a blue tree near the car?

slipster70
02-16-2006, 04:32 PM
Pretty nice. Nice glass. Nice grass. Nice tiles. Nice curtains. I like the round green tree up front. Overall, image seems a bit flat. Brick texture on building seems too large. Stone wall on left should have a better top texture. Brick tile on patio is nice. Water looks good. Wood texture on garage door--what's with that black line on it?
Maybe an overlapping texture w/ an alpha map on the yellow dirt in front of the house. Right now it looks like it's just one procedural bump map.
For 20 hours (2.5 days?) looks good. Did you render w/ fprime radiosity?
slipster70

kangonto
02-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Looks good, How does the car get out of the yard?

Josh

Probably Through the garage door, :)

Very nice indeed. But... is that really a blue tree near the car?

Yes, blame Dosch about that. I suppose it exists.

Pretty nice
Thanks

Brick texture on building seems too large
That's the kind of stone it's supposed to be there. Even its size. Probably that kind of stone is not usual in your country.

Stone wall on left should have a better top texture
Yes, it was a quick fix. No excuses.

Wood texture on garage door--what's with that black line on it?
It's where it folds.

Maybe an overlapping texture w/ an alpha map on the yellow dirt in front of the house. Right now it looks like it's just one procedural bump map
Yes, i use to do that on road surfaces. This time i was in a hurry, although there are several layers of procedurals (randomly applied, i have to admit) on it, in both Color and Bump channels. I recognize i could have put more effort on this.

For 20 hours (2.5 days?) looks good. Did you render w/ fprime radiosity?

The job extended through one week (a lot of waits). No radiosity. Just Ambient Occlusion on almost all surfaces.

But, nobody criticize that 'nice from the distance but ugly at near sight' circundant vegetation ? It was completely done in photoshop in just one our and i'm not completely satisfied about it (amongst other things already mentioned).

I think the image is quite nice at first sight, although it's far from perfect when you pay more attention. Please, analyze that vegetation, it's terrible !

Thanks for your comments.

Alonzo
02-16-2006, 05:19 PM
you posted:
"http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7741/aldan1lo.th.jpg"

full size picture is:
"http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7741/aldan1lo.jpg"

without ".th" = thumbnail it works ;)

to the picture...
fine work :eek: looks very nice

greetz
Alonzo

kangonto
02-16-2006, 05:24 PM
you posted:
"http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7741/aldan1lo.th.jpg"

full size picture is:
"http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7741/aldan1lo.jpg"

without ".th" = thumbnail it works ;)

to the picture...
fine work :eek: looks very nice

greetz
Alonzo

Strange. Do you mean that you can't see the full image when you click on it ?
Works here, as i stated before.

Probably it's a problem related with your own forum's configuration.

Thanks

Netvudu
02-16-2006, 06:18 PM
yeah...I was going to mention it. The plants around the building look a bit like a cut out =) but I supposed it was a clip map...not photoshop added plants! Man, that must have been really cumbersome to add:wip:

Also, I donīt love the road texture. Itīs a bit on the simple side.

In general I think most 3d stuff looks a bit on the over saturated side to be realistic, but I also know that many clients ask precisely for vivid colors for better promotion.

The curtains look great by the way.
What about the inner grass....is it just a texture? it looks like it had some thickness to it, great effect. How did you do that? I like the thickness but the color is a bit on the bright side. It needs more contrast.

The stone wall on the right is obviously too flat. My fav textures are the inner orange floor and the swimming pool. :)

Overall itīs a nice image but if you ask me, the only reason not to use radiosity nowadays would be because you want to create an animation later on. Otherwise, it really doesnīt mind if your render takes a few hours, as long as it is just one frame. At least, thatīs how I see it.

kangonto
02-16-2006, 06:51 PM
yeah...I was going to mention it. The plants around the building look a bit like a cut out =) but I supposed it was a clip map...not photoshop added plants! Man, that must have been really cumbersome to add:wip:

Also, I donīt love the road texture. Itīs a bit on the simple side.

In general I think most 3d stuff looks a bit on the over saturated side to be realistic, but I also know that many clients ask precisely for vivid colors for better promotion.

The curtains look great by the way.
What about the inner grass....is it just a texture? it looks like it had some thickness to it, great effect. How did you do that? I like the thickness but the color is a bit on the bright side. It needs more contrast.

The stone wall on the right is obviously too flat. My fav textures are the inner orange floor and the swimming pool. :)

Overall itīs a nice image but if you ask me, the only reason not to use radiosity nowadays would be because you want to create an animation later on. Otherwise, it really doesnīt mind if your render takes a few hours, as long as it is just one frame. At least, thatīs how I see it.

The Vegetation: Well, It really wasn't a difficult task. Recently i've had a lot of experience in photo retouching. I dedicated only one hour to this task hence the result. But i think the overall sensation is OK. Just don't forget to close your eyes a bit.

The grass: It's the thing i'm most proud of. I think is the best grass i've ever obtained. It's HD_Instanced. A small clump of grass blades cloned along the surface with some subtle variation of color, size and rotation. And about its color, i think is a question of tastes, I like to burn ground surfaces a bit, it gives a warm sensation.

The stone wall: You're right. But i didn't want to waste my time here. If i had LW9 i would have applied some subpixel (or subpoly, i can't remember) displacement to it. Next time.

Radiosity. LW Native: at 4900 x ---- (A3 paper)? I'm not mad. Fprime: More viable, but i loose HD_Instance and others. Yes i can compose, but time is money. At that high resolution Native LW took 5 Hours or so. What radiosity solution do you use ?

Thanks for your comments :)

JuanManuel
02-16-2006, 08:32 PM
Ok, spotted a canary yellow tree to the right too. I'll blame it on Dosch :D. I know it probably is because of the photomontage of the trees, but it looks as if the road starts and end with the house. It could be a little bit longer to hint where it begins or ends, IMHO.

Netvudu
02-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Radiosity. LW Native: at 4900 x ---- (A3 paper)? I'm not mad. Fprime: More viable, but i loose HD_Instance and others. Yes i can compose, but time is money. At that high resolution Native LW took 5 Hours or so. What radiosity solution do you use ?

well, when I recommended that I was indeed thinking on Fprime, because I didnīt know you were using HD Instance (silly me).
I agree LW native radiosity would be prohibitive for such a resolution.

In this case I would probably opt for Fprime anyway and compose. I donīt think itīs time consuming at all...but thatīs just me :)

kangonto
02-17-2006, 07:18 AM
Ok, spotted a canary yellow tree to the right too. I'll blame it on Dosch :D. I know it probably is because of the photomontage of the trees, but it looks as if the road starts and end with the house. It could be a little bit longer to hint where it begins or ends, IMHO.
In fact is a dead end. The path enters from the left and ends where you see. In this part of the country (Galicia, Spain) terrain is usualy divided into small portions each one of an owner and sometimes you have to get there through very narrow and twisted roads or paths. In this particular case the path comes from the left and ends to the right, but it continues behind the house if you pay attention.

In this case I would probably opt for Fprime anyway and compose. I donīt think itīs time consuming at all...but thatīs just me

Things like that are in my 'TO DO' list. Maybe a color pass with radiosity at a lower resolution to catch light rebounds. I wish i had more time to waste.

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2006, 07:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.