PDA

View Full Version : backwards compatible..?

prox-emics
02-16-2006, 03:56 AM
Does anyone know if there is any way to save a project in 7.0 that will open in 6.5? I've searched the forum and found nothing on the topic of backwards compatibility. I have to work on a project at school with 6.5 and I have been using 7.0 so far at home. Thanks.

prox-emics
02-16-2006, 04:15 AM
nevermind...just read on the adobe forum it is not possible..no backwards compatibility.. maybe adobe should consider this since they've never done it for after effects. im still open though if anyone has any ideas on the best way (if any) to go about moving the sources and keyframes and all that jazz into a 6.5 project...all i can think of is to copy paste what/if i can and then manually fix it up........uggghhhh...

Mylenium
02-16-2006, 05:36 AM
nevermind...just read on the adobe forum it is not possible..no backwards compatibility.. maybe adobe should consider this since they've never done it for after effects.

Why should they? It's much more trouble to write an export module than is worth the effort. You'd need some serious effort to even translate window positions or effects assignments so your projects don't break and considering that in a few weeks or months most users will have upgraded anyways, it's a non-issue.

Mylenium

evanfotis
02-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Well why no do it?

Photoshop documents open in previous versions(except the new features like smart objects etc)
Illustrator the same. It also allows you to export as a previous version.
Word has it. Many apps do.
So why coudn't AE have a "save as AExx" compatible with previous versions?
It will lose some of the latest feature implementation but it would be possible.

prox-emics
02-17-2006, 03:53 AM
So why coudn't AE have a "save as AExx" compatible with previous versions?
It will lose some of the latest feature implementation but it would be possible.

That's kinda what I was thinking...I do agree with you Mylenium, but I think that a save as version option would be a really cool feature to help transition people to the newer versions.

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2006, 03:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.