PDA

View Full Version : animating blinking stars

shirak23
02-16-2006, 03:17 AM
I'm looking to make a field of stars the blink (twinkle, whatever). I don't need to move through them or anything, they just need to blink as a background in the sky. Any tips?

P.S. I've already seen a tutorial on creative cow and that's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Mylenium
02-16-2006, 06:46 AM
I'm looking to make a field of stars the blink (twinkle, whatever). I don't need to move through them or anything, they just need to blink as a background in the sky. Any tips?

P.S. I've already seen a tutorial on creative cow and that's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

I'm not sure what tutorial you are refering to, but there's a miullion ways to do starfields from using Fractal Noise and Glow to using Particular. Could you elaborate a bnit more?

Mylenium

shirak23
02-16-2006, 07:37 AM
Sorry, not much more to elaborate on. I am thinking of a static shot, it's about twilight, stars are just starting to peak through and they are twinkling, y'know, because of how light passes through interstellar dust and the atmosphere, they seem to sparkle. So, really, I just want to animate the brightness value and maybe a little subtle hue shift of pinpoints of light. I was wondering if there was an expression or an easier way of animating that than keying it by hand, with randomness. No moving through a field of stars, just up in the sky. I was going to reference the one tutorial, but I'm having trouble getting through to creativecow.
Hope this helps!

Love your tutorials, by the way!

shirak23
02-16-2006, 07:39 AM
Ah, here's the tutorial, by Dean Velez:

http://www.creativecow.net/articles/velez_dean/Starfield/index.html

beaker
02-16-2006, 07:51 AM
Just add grain or animated noise to the starfield. It will make the stars appear to twinkle.

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2006, 07:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.