PDA

View Full Version : Joint influence on vertex normals

leadheaded
02-16-2006, 03:07 AM
I have been trying to find a link between joint weight influence on the vertex normals. The component editor of couse lets me see the weight on the vertices itself. Do the joints have a direct influence on the vertex normals? Or is the joint influence on the vertex itself only responsible for the rotation in vertex normals? I just want to have more control on how much the vertex normals rotate with the joint. I have looked through the normal tools in Maya 7.0. I might be overlooking some basic Maya options here.

Any insight would be very helpful.

Thank you.

dunkelzahn
02-16-2006, 09:17 AM
I am not sure if the normals have any influence on your skinning at all. Normals are used for shading and the weighting of the vertices is for rigging/skinning/animating etc... Your influence of a vertex calculates how much power a given joint has over a the transformation (position/rotation/scaling) of a vertex. When you rotate a joint, something as a normal is only present in the relation of the direction coming from the given joint and going to the given vertex.

leadheaded
02-16-2006, 05:56 PM
It is not an issue with skinning. It is an issue with shading. The way the vertex normals behave seem to be different fromt he way they behave in a game engine. Which is why I wanted to figure out a way to have more control over the influence on the normals for a more consistent look from maya to game.

Thanks for the info about joint rotation though.

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2006, 05:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.