PDA

View Full Version : what happened to my hyperthreading?

stooch
02-15-2006, 06:00 PM
i have dual xeons at 3.6 ghz and regardless of what i set, 1 or 4 threads it uses only 25% of my cpu...

Wegg
02-15-2006, 06:25 PM
Set your # Files to something like. . . 16

Or click on the "Size (MB)" button and enter in a low value and turn on "Use Ram chunks."

stooch
02-15-2006, 06:58 PM
thanks. has anyone been following these threads?

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45356&highlight=kray+render

its basically Fprime/Kray VS MentalRay, V-ray and Maxwell

there is also a scene called Kray Box, there are numerous threads comparing who renders faster, kray or fprime or lw adaptive radiosity.

anyway, seems like a good chance to test messiahs mettle...

Wegg
02-15-2006, 07:16 PM
Oh man I LOVE doing those tests. Messiah really shines with stuff like that. I wish I had time. :(

stooch
02-15-2006, 07:24 PM
well im workihng on converting the kray box into messiah, i got the camera and object placed, now i have to transfer all the surface settings

so stay tuned for dumbass questions.

stooch
02-15-2006, 07:43 PM
ok first problem. LW uses an area light, im using a panel light in messiah in the same place with the same scale, however i dont actually see the actual light objec, just a handle. why is that? and why is the edit sphere looking skewed? (looks like its perspective is off...hard to describe)

stooch
02-15-2006, 08:19 PM
ok its looking good, however im having problems with transferring the falloff values from LW, is there a conversion to the inverse distance ^ 2?

seems that if i try using the inverse falloff, it just kills the light.

this is a kray render using an area light in the roof. note the time.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ezwart3d/LWbenchmark/LWBenchmarkKrayFG400.png

Wegg
02-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Panel lights in Messih are actually just point lights that only cast in one direction. I have done several tests that illustrate this. It is very confusing because you would THINK they should behave like Lightwave's area lights.

But the cool thing is. . . spotlights behave EXACTLY like Lightwave's area lights with FAR FAR FAR more control. So. . . that more than makes up for it IMO.

So ditch your panel lights and replace them with spotlights.

I had problems with the inverse folloff as well. I had to enter in some really unusual numbers to get them to show up. I can't remember if it was like. . . .00001 or 10000.

CGTalk Moderation
02-15-2006, 08:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.