PDA

View Full Version : Help: Animating night cityscape with lights progressively turns off.

EddieQ
02-15-2006, 04:17 AM
I'm working on an animation that requires the camera to fly pass skyscrapers in a city at Night. As the camera flies pass, lights from the building interiors progressively turns off.

I'm using only rough geometry & textures for the builings and luminous map to bring out the window lights.

Currently I'm thinking of creating a clip of the luminous map to progressively "switch off" the lights. Then have this seq UV mapped to all the buildings individually. ( Actually I'll UV map 1 building and then duplicates & modify to populate the city.)

However to have different buildings switch off progressively, I'll have to stagger the start time for the luminous clip for individual buildings in image editor.

We're talking about at least 30 of the same clip with different start time in image editor.

Anyone has a better way of doing this?

jeremyhardin
02-15-2006, 04:38 PM
the first thing that comes to mind for me is to have multiple uv maps.

so you could apply 1 large uv map to the entire city and have only one image sequence for the whole thing. then that texture can be an alpha to your other image maps, which can use other uv's, or be any type of projection for that matter.

does that make sense?

PentamiterBeast
02-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I can only think of either using many biuldings, many maps, or one huge map. ANy which way you do it its a fair amount to juggle. Nature of the beast I guess.

KOryH
02-15-2006, 08:56 PM
If all the windows used the same luminosity map
you could control it with an animated alpha.
a procedural could work and you could move it about with a ref null.
or animate the fall off.

Carm3D
02-15-2006, 11:04 PM
Worley's Poly-pop plugin would work nicely here.

It's part of the Polk collection.

CGTalk Moderation
02-15-2006, 11:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.