PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see in blender in the distant future?

RedSquirrel
02-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Distant future meaning years away.

I was thinking about this today, I know the developers have a set agenda and there are the "musts" that have to be done to get blender to the equivalent of programs like max and maya, but once they catch up what other features would you like to see incorporated?

My dream features would be... :hmm:

True SSS, not the python plug in that uses vcol light to fake it.
SSS for halo particles, would be great for volumetric clouds and smoke.
Halo's casting shadows.
True Slop texture mapping (not using the "Nor").
Ocean/wave simulation which is part of the fluid system.
True physics engine for animation, instead of baking in the game engine.
Improvement on metaballs.
So what's your dream features? :D

pnoland
02-14-2006, 08:27 PM
Micro displacement and a true 3d painting system ala BodyPaint. Mmm, one can dream. But seriously, micro displacement! I want to use Zbrush properly with Blender.

raythex
02-14-2006, 10:13 PM
i want to see something resembling chamfer

and... yes, also true SSS

editing sound loops and baking them to video right in blender would be kinda cool. do we have that already? the last i heard... you had to add sound to video from an external program.

and optimizing the beveling on curve text would make things quicker for 3d text. so theres none of the random filling and jutting out that you get.

and yeah... i've dreamed about blender having n-gons since the days of 1.8.... *sighs*

thats about everything on my wish list. im not pro enough to need more lol.

cheers

ray

RedSquirrel
02-14-2006, 10:24 PM
yeah! combining sound and video in blender when you create your movie file... I will be crying tears of joy when that day comes :cry: .

phexitol
02-15-2006, 01:57 AM
Distant future:

* motion synthesis

* UI/node-based game engine/AI

* get rid of that damn extra window (but still have the console available when needed)

These are near future:
Hmm, let's see here...

* Quadrilateral remeshing - see first link below for graphical explanation

* UI for applying GLSL shaders

* Symmetrical LSCM

For those with questions (about Quadrilateral remeshing):
http://www.k-3d.org/wiki/Image:20050218-quadrilateral_remeshing.png K-3D has it, but currently only in the Linux builds :(
http://graphics.cs.uiuc.edu/~kircher/publications.html (http://graphics.cs.uiuc.edu/%7Ekircher/publications.html) research paper/technical info
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/shimada/research.htm research paper/technical info
http://www.google.com/search?q=quadrilateral+remeshing Google search

neuromancer1978
02-15-2006, 03:56 AM
Distant future meaning years away.

Ocean/wave simulation which is part of the fluid system.
True physics engine for animation, instead of baking in the game engine.
I have to agree with that... the physics leaves much to be desired, and I use Maya on a regular basis doing effects. The particle system also needs revamping. Hell I might as well start writing the physics system now.... maybe in 4 years I'll have it done.

That was meant as a joke - but now that I think about it.... hmmmmmm.....

RedSquirrel
02-16-2006, 12:06 AM
I found this intersting a while back, http://nis-lab.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~nis/cdrom/pg/PG2001_ryomiya.pdf on creating clouds.

Womball
02-16-2006, 12:59 AM
Photons lights, soft lighting, light linking (which object recieves light), being able to bake curve guide data to particles (so you can get rid of those 30 curve guides for hair), easy cloth simulation, more nodes and shaders of course, even more bone draw types, and the rest everyone else has covered.

ysvry
02-16-2006, 02:40 PM
what i want is dupliverts ,scattered, scaled transposed and rotated acording to node based materials. for effects like in vue infinite ecosystem.

kattkieru
02-16-2006, 03:37 PM
* get rid of that damn extra window (but still have the console available when needed)

Actually, on the mac we don't have it and I'd prefer it be there. ^_^; I think that Blender should go the Maya route there, and have an openable console window that's not a system window, but that is another window managed and drawn by ghost that allows us to see the console with the same tool on all systems. It'd be really nice for python developers because the system could then pop it up on encountering python errors instead of saying, "check console."

My wishlist:
- Emacs key bindings in the text editor, and a horizontal scrollbar.
- A true fullscreen mode for Mac OSX -- IE, like a game Blender takes over all screen real estate and the title bar and Dock disappear. I might take a crack at that, because it's pretty easy to code in, but the trick will be figuring out how to trigger it.
- True multi-monitor support. Right now what's in is a really terrible hack IMO. Since Blender windows are just view of memory data blocks and you can make as many views as you want, you should be able to pop some of those views in a new window. Windows should also keep track of where they are and what size they are inside the .b.blend file. (I don't recall if they do on Win and Linux, but they don't seem to on Mac.)
- Hair direction maps length maps, loadable from and saveable to files.
- In line with the ocean simulator wish (heh, we should get Cog to add it ^_^), I'd like to see: 1) a fluid sim that works well for pyrotechnics; 2) the ability to limit fluid sim axes (in maya you can do fluid sims in 2D only); and 3) the ability for sims of different types to interact in a useful way (physics object gets knocked into a barrel which explodes and litters the surface of some water with debris, making little waves). I'd also like to see all simulations have the ability to be run in tandem.
- A library of standard effects and materials. This feature is long overdue, and now that we have a working visual library system in python (http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60077) I don't see why it isn't time for the community to come together and create a truly professional library for optional download from Blender.org.
- Curve weights and curves with armatures that work just as well as their mesh counterparts.
- Better nurbs. Right now the nurbs system works, but it's horribly counter-intuitive, at least to me. I heard someone was working on replacing the nurbs system with their own but that was a while back and there's been no news since.

TroutMaskReplica
02-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Universal Binary for Intel based Macs, so I can run Blender at break neck speeds (although it isn't bad under Rosetta).

I know it's a lot of work, but still I hope a Universal Binary isn't years away.

Bellorum
02-16-2006, 05:44 PM
[/list]I have to agree with that... the physics leaves much to be desired, and I use Maya on a regular basis doing effects. The particle system also needs revamping. Hell I might as well start writing the physics system now.... maybe in 4 years I'll have it done.
I think Janne Karhu is working on a rewrite of the particle system, if I remember correctly what was said on IRC last sunday.

FreakyDude
02-16-2006, 07:27 PM
I'd like a customisible gui. Or at least some kind of option window, like meshtools, that you can edit and make it appear with a hotkey like the properties and the 'n' key. I'd stack a lot of (mesh) edit tools/buttons in there. the ones I use on a regular bases. It would be my blenderversion of 3Dmax's quads. need something? press the hotkey and there are the tools to pick from. Right now the only pop up window thingy I found is the transform option window, which I also use on a regular base by the way (Nkey)

Also, It'd be cool if we could alter the settings for basic primitives such as cubes and cilinders afterwards. How many height segments, how many steps around.(6sided cilinder, or 8 or 32 sided etc.) The cool thing about this is that you can edit somethings afterwards. too few segments? just go to the properties and redo the cilinder without deleting and completely replacing it.

These may not be that advanced features, but since the team has such a large list of mayor things to do, I don't see these kind of things appearing anytime soon. So I listed them here.

gabio
02-17-2006, 12:07 AM
yeah! combining sound and video in blender when you create your movie file... I will be crying tears of joy when that day comes :cry: .
I am doing it right now using a special build only available on linux. Blender finally got ffmpeg support and can cut video file of more than 300k frames. Needless to say a lot of video and audio format can now be read in blender.
though this is very experimental it show some big promise.
Also the sequencer now read file directly on HD. making it super fast to work with. Add more effect and more keyframables options and it's like Adobe Premiere! ^_^

RedSquirrel
02-17-2006, 01:00 AM
The tears are starting to form gabio, lol...

Thats great news, alas I am use Windows myself so will have to wait.

David McSween
02-17-2006, 01:14 AM
Like Premiere? Well it would be usefull to be able to search the clips via Timecode rather than frame numbers!

And is there anywhere we could preload clips before cutting them to the timeline, like say a 'Bin'? Or would I just have to make another Sequence window and stick them all there in a que, hmmm could I drag clips from one sequence window to another?

And while the current 'trim end' function is nice, better would be a slip trim (where the contents of the clip can slide without moving the clip on the timeline.

Oh, and the ability to lock tracks so that edits or trims affect other tracks temporaly, would be very usefull too. So that if you want to make one clip a bit longer the trim will affect the start position of all subsequent clips.

I know, I know, Blender is a 3d tool first, compositor second and editor... well it's not really one, it just looks cooler than most.

I complain because I HAVE to work with Avid:sad: , I feel better because I CHOOSE to play with Blender!:D

brkn
02-17-2006, 03:13 PM
Or at least some kind of option window, like meshtools, that you can edit and make it appear with a hotkey like the properties and the 'n' key. I'd stack a lot of (mesh) edit tools/buttons in there. the ones I use on a regular bases.

Hopefully it will be in there before too long, after Orange probably. There's an experimental version of just this in tuhopuu3: http://mke3.net/archives/2005/06/blender_toolbar.html

kattkieru
02-17-2006, 04:35 PM
Jesus god, that's brilliant! And it was posted back in mid 2005?! Why has it taken so long to make it into the BF codebase? A tool like that could totally change the way people use Blender.

(It'd be even cooler if you could have multiple ones, hint hint.)

FreakyDude
02-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Jesus god, that's brilliant! And it was posted back in mid 2005?! Why has it taken so long to make it into the BF codebase? A tool like that could totally change the way people use Blender.

Heheh, yes it does look cool. I can imagine this being a fine replacment for 3dmax's quads. And kattkierru, these maxquads are multiple by the way, four by default, case sensitive. I like these a lot, I'd love these kind of windows in blender as well. Luckily it just may happen afterall. and sooner than I thought.

brkn
02-17-2006, 05:17 PM

Well, it was more of an experiment in how it could work. The back-end is not that sustainable, hacked together by some stupid artist who pretends to be able to code, and he and Ton are busy right now with Orange. But after the Orange project is over, Ton plans to work on a 'unified tools API' in Blender, which will clean up how tools are accessed within the Blender source code. This should make such a toolbar much easier to implement, so it should probably come soon after that happens.

LetterRip
02-18-2006, 01:46 AM
fyi - brkn is the artist who 'pretends to be able to code',

LetterRip

kattkieru
02-18-2006, 03:47 AM
Oh good. Now I know for whom to buy a beer. ^-^

Artaures
02-19-2006, 02:29 AM
how bout that chamfer tool?

FreakyDude
02-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Within a year or 3, I'd like to see a "create art" button/option, lol.

RedSquirrel
02-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Within a year or 3, I'd like to see a "create art" button/option, lol.

Yeah, me too :arteest:

Ok thought up a few more:

Wire colours: since blender began, object/mesh wires have always had the same colour and as your scene or character gets complicated it gets harder and harder to spot that tiny button in a field of black wires.

Past and future colour for ghost in the animation settings.

RCRuiz
02-20-2006, 10:18 PM
For phisics in blender I just post BlendOde at http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62183&start=0

a few samples

http://www.bellera.org/blenderfor/users/RCRuiz/Cabum%20BlendOde.rar
http://www.bellera.org/blenderfor/users/RCRuiz/Knight%20with%20BlendOde.avi

Tutorial are included (english and spanish)

Un Saludo

FreakyDude
03-02-2006, 06:22 PM
What I would like in the future, like not years away, but not instantly made as well, maybe within a release or five, are a more robust set of poly modeling tools, better cut, better weld, ctrl R make loop only on selection if something is selected, else do a loop as it is now. A massively improved snap system, that was about it now.

kattkieru
03-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Yeah, me too :arteest:

Ok thought up a few more:

Wire colours: since blender began, object/mesh wires have always had the same colour and as your scene or character gets complicated it gets harder and harder to spot that tiny button in a field of black wires.

Past and future colour for ghost in the animation settings.

Since you brought up colors, bone colors a la Hash A:M or 3DS Max wouldn't be terrible, either.

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2006, 08:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.