PDA

View Full Version : LightWave v9 Open Beta – Available Now

Kurtis
02-14-2006, 05:56 PM
NewTek is pleased to announce that the LightWave v9 Open Beta program is now available for the 32-bit PC and 32-bit Mac (PowerPC) platforms. The 64-bit PC platform will be available later today or tomorrow.

If you have not already, please visit our LightWave v9 Open Beta FAQ before applying for the program. http://www.lightwave3d.com/lw9_betafaq.php

If you qualify for the program by qualifying for a free upgrade to LightWave v9 or by pre-purchasing the upgrade to LightWave v9, please log-in to your NewTek product registration account at http://register.newtek.com (http://register.newtek.com/). Click on the LightWave v9 Open Beta banner at the top of the page and follow the instructions.

If you are registered with NewTek Europe, please visit the NewTek Europe site at http://www.newtek-europe.com (http://www.newtek-europe.com/) for more information.

If you do not currently qualify for the Open Beta program, but would like to participate, you may still do so by purchasing an upgrade to LightWave [8] with a free upgrade to LightWave v9, or by pre-purchasing the upgrade to LightWave v9. Both of these offers include e-on software’s Vue 5 Infinite and W-Tools’ LWCAD until LightWave v9 officially begins shipping.

You can purchase LightWave directly from NewTek online at http://shop.newtek.com (http://shop.newtek.com/) or by phone at 1-800-368-5441. You may also purchase from your local authorized NewTek reseller. To find the Authorized reseller near you, in North America visit http://www.newtek.com/dealers/us.php, or outside North America visit http://www.newtek.com/dealers/international.php.

KillMe
02-14-2006, 06:09 PM
If you are registered with NewTek Europe, please visit the NewTek Europe site at http://www.newtek-europe.com (http://www.newtek-europe.com/) for more information.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh talk about trying to dodge the bullet

adrencg
02-14-2006, 06:16 PM
Anyone else have trouble getting their serial code to go through? I'll email Newtek about it and hear back in about 10 days. Have fun playing with LW9

silba
02-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Kurtis,

I preordered for the upgrade/open beta program yesterday. Do I have to wait for the vue package to get my 10 digit ID?

adrencg
02-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Kurtis,

I preordered for the upgrade/open beta program yesterday. Do I have to wait for the vue package to get my 10 digit ID?

So I need to purchase the upgrade before getting the beta....

Mike

Gareee
02-14-2006, 08:55 PM
I registered it, got th econfirmation emails, but when I log onto my registered products, and select the lw 9 beta, I don't see lw 9 bet sdownload links.. all I see are the lw 8 download links!

So near and yet so far....

monovich
02-14-2006, 09:40 PM
hmm...

I'm not allowed to discuss anything here. maybe go to Newtek's beta forums and see if you can get help there?

JuanManuel
02-14-2006, 09:41 PM
The link to the downloads is included in the email, you cannot seem to get to it directly from the registration page...
I hope that is generic enough so Newtek lawyers do not get angry with me...

Gareee
02-14-2006, 09:48 PM
That did it! the link *looked* like a link to the regular registered product pages, but was slightly different.

Thanks MUCH!

WillBellJr
02-14-2006, 11:05 PM
Well I submitted the info requested and never got the confirmation email - grrr...

Submitted it again and it said I appear to already be registered.

So much for LW9 tonite, back to the girlie and Valentines day...

-Will

Bonzodogboy
02-14-2006, 11:36 PM
Have Infinite Vue package, but no 10 digit serial number on it.
emailing Newtek to find out what is happening...

monovich
02-15-2006, 01:07 AM
are you sure you need a vue infinite package? the 10 digit serial number is in the beta email.

the newtek beta forums are open, so check those out.

denders
02-15-2006, 01:32 AM
First off, Hello to everyone. I'm new here.

But, No, you don't need a vue number. All the numbers come in emails so, read everything in the emails and the FAQ! I have mine functioning.

And thanks to Newtek, I'm looking forward to learning 3D.

Dave

Kurtis
02-15-2006, 01:51 AM
Sorry I haven't been answering any questions here today. As you can probably imagine, we've been a little busy today. :p

I'll try to provide some general answers to what I see here. I'll try to handle them all in order.

1. We were experiencing some bandwidth issues this morning that were affecting registration. That should all be cleared up now.

2. Unfortunately, you will need to wait for your Vue package to arrive. This program isn't going to end tomorrow or anything, so you have some time though.

3. You need to qualify for a free upgrade based on when you purchased LightWave [8], or have pre-purchase the LightWave v9 upgrade to participate in the Open Beta.

4. The software download link is in the email that contained your LightWave v9 Open Beta serial number.

5. If you have not received the email, there are some issues with the fact that the new server block we purchased from our ISP to greatly improve our bandwidth was formerly held by a company reknowned for spamming. Some ISPs have not updated their information about the ownership of this block yet. Please check with your ISP to make sure they are not blocking emails from us.

6. If you received Vue 5 Infinite from NewTek, and there is no 10-digit LightWave code on it, you will need to contact Customer Service for assistance.

7. You do need the code from the Vue 5 package if you pre-purchased LightWave v9, rather than qualifying for a free upgrade based on purchase date.

If you still have questions, please feel free to post them, and I'll do my best to check this thread on a regular basis from now on.

WillBellJr
02-15-2006, 03:25 AM
Well I have a Yahoo email account, I have received all your other beta notification emails - why haven't I received the email that was supposed to be sent on the signup page after entering my info?

Do I need to register v9 with the serial number off the Vue package first?

HELP!

-Will

DMack
02-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Does the NDA restrict ALL communication about LW9? Does it refer to specifics like features and implementation or is it all covering. Guess I'm interested to see what people have found from a stability point of view (I know it's a beta) - Just interested.:)

Mattoo
02-15-2006, 10:16 AM
DMack - With most NDA's you're not even aloud to acknowledge you're actually under NDA, let alone discuss anything related to it..... it's like Fight Club.

silba
02-15-2006, 11:38 AM
I received three emails since I preordered, containing an PO#, an Order# and a tracking#. So I guess I am waiting for an LightWave v9 Open Beta serial number to be emailed, and a 10-digit LightWave code to arrive with my Vue 5 package before I can download and use the beta.

I sure Newtek has its reasons but a one click quick download would have provided quicker access to the beta, after all they have relevant client information when an order is placed/processed.

Erich
02-15-2006, 12:47 PM
"You can purchase LightWave directly from NewTek online at http://shop.newtek.com (http://shop.newtek.com/)"

I wish I could, but there is no way to add a Canadian (or other) address to the shipping info page. It only allows for American addresses to be entered in the "State" drop-down box. I have emailed Newtek several times about this and never heard back from them. I guess they don't want Canadians to buy from them!

Kurtis
02-15-2006, 01:29 PM
This is something that our web team has been trying to resolve with the eCommerce provider. You can still purchase directly from NewTek by calling our Sales department at 1-800-847-6111.

Kurtis
02-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Well I have a Yahoo email account, I have received all your other beta notification emails - why haven't I received the email that was supposed to be sent on the signup page after entering my info?

Do I need to register v9 with the serial number off the Vue package first?

HELP!

-Will

If you pre-pruchased the upgrade, when you log-in to the registration site you should see a LightWave v9 Open Beta banner at the top. When you click on it, you should see a page that will allow you to enter the code from your Vue 5 package. Once you have done that, you should be taken to the NDA page, where you enter your NewTek Forums user ID (alias). Once you have done that and clicked Submit, that is when the email is sent to you. If you have done all this and still not received the email, please send me a private message on the NewTek Discussion Forums with your full name and the email address you use for product registration, and I will look into it for you.

Kurtis
02-15-2006, 01:36 PM
Does the NDA restrict ALL communication about LW9? Does it refer to specifics like features and implementation or is it all covering. Guess I'm interested to see what people have found from a stability point of view (I know it's a beta) - Just interested.:)

We've attempted to explain a bit more what the NDA means here:
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw9_betafaq.php

If you have any questions that aren't covered there, please feel free to contact me directly.

Kurtis
02-15-2006, 01:39 PM
I received three emails since I preordered, containing an PO#, an Order# and a tracking#. So I guess I am waiting for an LightWave v9 Open Beta serial number to be emailed, and a 10-digit LightWave code to arrive with my Vue 5 package before I can download and use the beta.

I sure Newtek has its reasons but a one click quick download would have provided quicker access to the beta, after all they have relevant client information when an order is placed/processed.

Any system we put in place also has to accomodate users that purchase their upgrade from a reseller, rather than directly from NewTek. If you have already ordered, you will still have time to participate in the beta once you receive your shipment.

DMack
02-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Hello Kurtis,

I am impressed with your regular presence and feedback - keep up the good work.

I look forward to hearing all about LW9 when it comes out of Beta.

David

Zarathustra
02-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Assume for a moment you preordered 4 months ago and at some point over the last 4 months your Vue5 disk went MIA. What do you do?

whereisanykey
02-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Can't say for sure, but I thought I just took it from my registered products page. I don't remember for sure. I know at one point that's what I did.

Erich
02-15-2006, 07:30 PM
"This is something that our web team has been trying to resolve with the eCommerce provider. You can still purchase directly from NewTek by calling our Sales department at 1-800-847-6111."

Thanks for your prompt reply. Its nice to finally get an answer to this. I really appreciate your quick and continual communication. Believe me, it makes a difference. :)

Update: I just called that 1-800 number. It says "the number you have called is not available in your area at this time." I am on the west coast - Vancouver, BC.

I would order through a reseller here, but it is actually cheaper (even with the exchange rate) to order directly from Newtek.

So, how do I do this?

Cheers.
E.

Kurtis
02-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Assume for a moment you preordered 4 months ago and at some point over the last 4 months your Vue5 disk went MIA. What do you do?

You contact Sales or Customer Service, and they help track down your number for you.

zcondren
02-15-2006, 08:18 PM
Eric please contact one of our sales people directly, the numbers are 210-370-8202, 210-370-8204 or 210-370-807.

Kurtis
02-15-2006, 08:22 PM
"This is something that our web team has been trying to resolve with the eCommerce provider. You can still purchase directly from NewTek by calling our Sales department at 1-800-847-6111."

Thanks for your prompt reply. Its nice to finally get an answer to this. I really appreciate your quick and continual communication. Believe me, it makes a difference. :)

Update: I just called that 1-800 number. It says "the number you have called is not available in your area at this time." I am on the west coast - Vancouver, BC.

I would order through a reseller here, but it is actually cheaper (even with the exchange rate) to order directly from Newtek.

So, how do I do this?

Cheers.
E.

Erich,

I've talked to Zane Condren in our Sales department. He will be posting a message here to help you out and let you contact him directly. It may be a little while until his message shows up, because got a new enough forum membership that he's still moderated.

JuanManuel
02-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Here is a quick question: with the excitement yesterday over the beta finally available, I put the nickname I use here in cgtalk instead of the one I use in the newtek forum (in the bottom where it asks for the nickname). When I wanted to change that, I was automatically told that I had already registered. The thing is, I have no idea if somebody else has this nickname in the newtek forum etc etc etc.

So, what do I do?

Anyway, real life has stopped me from installing the beta anyway, I hope I have time tonight...

Zarathustra
02-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Don't bother with email. It may take some time on hold, but you'll get someone if you call CS instead.

allenbussell
02-15-2006, 09:36 PM
That's pretty funny, Juan. I did the exact same thing...Oh well. Didn't affect installing the beta last night...but I figure it WILL affect posting and reading the beta posts at NewTek's Beta page.

Kurtis
02-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Here is a quick question: with the excitement yesterday over the beta finally available, I put the nickname I use here in cgtalk instead of the one I use in the newtek forum (in the bottom where it asks for the nickname). When I wanted to change that, I was automatically told that I had already registered. The thing is, I have no idea if somebody else has this nickname in the newtek forum etc etc etc.

So, what do I do?

Anyway, real life has stopped me from installing the beta anyway, I hope I have time tonight...

Starting tomorrow, we will be sending out emails to everyone who we were not able to add to the forums, because their user ID and email address did not correspond with anything in the forums. Simply reply to that email with the correct information, and we will get you taken care of.

If the email address in your product registration account was the same as your forums email, we may have already caught that and added you anyway. Please be sure to log-in to our forums main page and scroll down toward the bottom, looking for a section titled LightWave Open Beta. If you can see it, you've been added and can participate.

** Correction. The emails started going out today. **

Kurtis
02-15-2006, 11:13 PM
If you did not receive your confirmation email, or had difficulty with the link it contained, I'd like to make you aware of this change in our system.

We made some changes to the system today to auto-fill your LW9 open beta serial number in the system so you don't have to wait on the email.. Just login to your profile and it should show you your license for the 9 beta on the main page.. if not - just click the register LW 9 open beta and it will auto-fill your number for you automatically..

Hope this resolves the missing email issues..

email + spammers =

- Ricky

Signal2Noise
02-16-2006, 03:59 AM
Kurtis, you are doing an excellent job keeping us LW'ers up to date on things surrounding the beta.

If I may add...

Once folks have successfully registered and can access the private beta forums be sure to look for Marvin's post about the [9] manuals. They are available as several (nay- lots!) pdf downloads and are considered as beta status themselves.

Have fun!

Kurtis
02-16-2006, 12:03 PM
DMack and Signal to Noise,

Thanks. Just trying to be helpful.

And yes, the full documentation in progress will be available once you access the open beta forums. They were removed from the program installer to keep it as small as possible, and each chapter was separated out to make their downloads as small as possible as well.

Erich
02-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Hi Kurtis and Zane. Thanks for your prompt reply once again. I did get a hold of one of the resellers here in Vancouver, BC and am trying to work out something with them.

They made a good point that even though LW9 is an electronic download, I would still have to pay for shipping the VUE 5 - which could be really expensive to bring it over the boarder. For something I would not use very much, I would rather not have this additional cost.

Any chance that VUE could be had as a download as well? It would save me the shipping and broker costs (which are substantial!).

Cheers.
E.

Signal2Noise
02-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Erich,

Since you live in B.C. you could try contacting Unison Digital Video Productions. They are an authorized NewTek reseller located near Edmonton, Alberta. I went through Gord at Unison for my [9] upgrade/Vue bundle. If I recall shipping was free and I received my Vue CD with [9] serial within a week or so of ordering. There may be a nominal fee to ship to Vancouver, tho'. Perhaps Gord can help you out.

http://www.digitalvideoproducts.com/DVP_Store/index.php

zcondren
02-16-2006, 09:28 PM
We don't offer VUE as a download, standard UPS ground shipping should cost around $15USD.

Kurtis
02-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Our arrangement with e-on software only allows us to make it available via physical shipment.

Erich
02-16-2006, 11:15 PM
Signal to Noise: Thanks for the info. I will contact them. Do you mind telling me what you paid for the LW9 upgrade from them?

Kurtis and Zane. $15USD!! I guess that means there isn't a manual with VUE5 (or maybe the manual isn't too big)? I thought because of shipping the manual that it would be more. I know the US/CAN Broker fees is dependent on the value of the goods brought across the border. So, what is the declared value for the VUE5 shipment?

Thanks for all your replies.

Cheers.
E.

Erich
02-16-2006, 11:19 PM
Hey Zane, Kurtis - I just got an email from Gary Reiley from Newtek telling me that I could not buy from Newtek directly because I am in Canada. Is this correct?

E.

zcondren
02-17-2006, 02:33 AM
Give me a call @ 210-370-8204 between the hours of 9am - 6pm CST, I will push it through because of all the hassle you've had. We don't include a printed manual for Vue 5, if you want a printed LightWave 9 manuals the cost is $495USD, for the version with just electronic manuals the cost is $395USD

Signal2Noise
02-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Signal to Noise: Thanks for the info. I will contact them. Do you mind telling me what you paid for the LW9 upgrade from them?

No problem. I paid about $550 CDN. for everything. That was based on rates back in August '05.

Still a little bit more than going directly thru NewTek. But by the time duties, shipping, and taxes are factored in it probably works out to the same. I do wish NewTek would ship to Canada. There are lot of customers in this neck of the continent!

JuanManuel
02-17-2006, 03:48 PM
I bought mine through e-on's website, as Newtek does not ship south of the border. However strange it may seem, it shipped from France! Talk about globalization... I really cannot complain, it arrived in three days, everything in shipshape order.
And I did not get charged by customs, which is extremely rare here.

silba
02-18-2006, 02:53 PM
The hardware lock ID you indicated is not correct. It should only contain digits

I keep getting this error when I try to register my vue 5. The only problem is that there is no text field asking for a Hardware lock ID, only Pre serial # and Lw serial #, both of which I entered correctly.

Anyone else with this issue? Kurtis?

Kurtis
02-18-2006, 05:47 PM
Sorry, wish I could help, but I don't have any personal experience with registering Vue 5. The only advice I can provide is to contact e-on software directly at 866-3414-EON.

silba
02-18-2006, 07:24 PM
Think the problem was that I tried to register before I installed the vue package by going directly to their website and entering the info. I don't know if that was the problem but when I went online as part of the installation process I was able to register with no problem.

Thanks anyway Kurtis

A really great job on those tutorials/demo by you guys, very informative.

Kurtis
02-20-2006, 03:38 PM
I bought mine through e-on's website, as Newtek does not ship south of the border. However strange it may seem, it shipped from France! Talk about globalization... I really cannot complain, it arrived in three days, everything in shipshape order.
And I did not get charged by customs, which is extremely rare here.

In Mexico, NewTek products can be purchased directly from Grupo CVC or Sistec. It looks like yours was shipped from France, because you bought directly from e-on, which is headquartered in France.

SKODA
02-23-2006, 09:11 PM
MOD EDIT:

DO NOT VIOLATE THE TERMS OF THE NDA YOU AGREED TO WHEN YOU DECIDED TO TRY LIGHTWAVE 9.

Kurtis
02-23-2006, 09:34 PM
What you have posted is in violation of the Non-Disclosure agreement you had to accept to access the open beta software program.

It was made clear from day one that the open beta software is not the finished product, as is true with any beta software, and as such will not be reflective of the final product.

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2006, 09:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.