PDA

View Full Version : guitar strap rig

yourgirlsnext
02-14-2006, 05:34 PM
I am using maya 6.5 and I want to rig a character with a guitar and guitar strap. Right now I have clusters with point contstraints that give me a fairly good result when moving the guitar. However, Now that I want to put a skeleton in the character, and have the skeleton movement affect the guitar, it sort of overrides the clusters I made so the straps no linger hinge on the ends of the guitar. Any advice on how to get around this, or other guitar strap solutions altogether? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

dunkelzahn
02-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Oooookay, I donīt know how your cluster solution looks right now, so weīll take it straight from the top, shall we? :)

A solution might be to rerig the strap with a Nurbs curve you use as a wrap controller for the guitar strap. Then you create a cluster at each end of the curve (and another one in the middle of the strap?), create an area of influence with the Connection editor for each of them and then connect the clusters to your skeleton with point constraints.

You might need an extra construction of joints, something like a upside down "V" hanging from his neck, where each cluster can be attached.

Hope that helped.

Cheers

Christoph

yourgirlsnext
02-14-2006, 10:22 PM
I appreciate the unput, i hadn't considered the connection editor.

I came up with another solution that works pretty well. I created two extra bones that go from the spine root to the guiter strap knobs. This way I can bind the torso along with the strap to the spine and strap bones... Then I weigh the tips of the straps to the strap bones, and the rest of the strap to the spine bones, everyones happy. Then I parent ther guitar itself under the spine root. Its a pretty simple solution with a fairly good result.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I will keep it in mind for the future.

yenvalmar
02-15-2006, 01:32 PM
make an IK spline (or just use a wire deformer) and set that to dynamic with maya hair. works awesome to automatically have the strap dangle. might not work for if it has to go over the character's shoulder but i'm using it for this guy :

http://www.yenvalmar.com/nonprofit/theory/karma/images/low_wings_final.JPG

dunkelzahn
02-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Aaah, thatīs a good idea with the dynamic hair stuff.

BTW, nice model, lots of details and stuff on your megaoverkillrobot. And I can see, that he does have a guitar as well. :)

JesseDavis
03-15-2006, 02:18 AM
rofl @ the robot

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2006, 02:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.