PDA

View Full Version : take a composition from another project

zoc
02-14-2006, 05:17 PM
Hi guys,
does somebody know how to take a composition from a different project?
thanks in advanced.

andrewjohn81
02-14-2006, 05:53 PM
I'd like to know that one too. Shouldn't you be able to import parts of one project into another?

We have a composition that adds a work in progress watermark on the video, but we have to start with it or recreate it each time.

scrimski
02-14-2006, 06:05 PM
Import, select your project, set it to 'Import as project', press the magic 'Open' button - as described in the manual.

andrewjohn81
02-14-2006, 07:45 PM
Wait....That wasn't my problem.
lol

I remember now. If I have one composition and have edited an object I want to reuse in it, how to I get that element into another composition of the same project with all the edits?

I suppose you could precompose the one layer, but that seems dumb. Isn't there a way to copy an entire layer and paste it into another composition within your same project? Or, for that matter, into another project?

The only ways I can think of doing that seem to involve many seemingly pointless steps.

scrimski
02-14-2006, 07:50 PM
I think this should be possible with copying and pasting the layer in a compositions/rpoject, so it should be possible to improt a composition, copy the layer and paste it elsewhere.

andrewjohn81
02-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Wow, I must be taking crazy pills.

Seriously. I tried that right before I posted just to make sure and not sound too dumb, and it didn't work.

Anyway, thanks for the input anyway. Works fine now.
Thanks.

zoc
02-15-2006, 10:26 AM
thanks,
i copy and paste layer from a project to another.
bye bye!

suztv
02-17-2006, 09:30 PM
There are two other ways -

Select the comp or object that you want to use in your other project.
Go to File on the main menu, select Reduce
Save as with the file name that you want.

Also,

You can collect your files for that comp and save all of them into a separate folder.

Go to File, Collect Files
Click on the dropdown arrow and select "For Selected Comp"
Click on the "reduce project" check box
press "collect"

Note: Make sure that if you are using a PC that the comp names (in your project window) and files used in your comp have pc friendly names.

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2006, 09:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.