PDA

View Full Version : Skirt Rig and/or Cloth?!

mjkennedy
02-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Hi, Im currently working on my demo reel, and Im severely hung up on trying to get one of my characters skirts to work. It looks like this:

http://http://www.anniescostumes.com/FA44115.jpg

Its a roman skirt. One piece cloth underneith, with straps over top.

I tried doing it old school, and just weighting the skirt to the polymesh of the body, but that didnt work at all! Does anyone know of a rig, or rig setup that might help me here?

if not...

I tried cloth too. I used this tutorial: http://67.15.36.49/team/Tutorials/cloth/cloth.asp

And everything worked fine up until I tried to move the arm around. The cloth simply would not follow the geometery, even though I set it as an "obsticle". Any ideas on how to get this working, or know of any other tutorials?

Im desperate here guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Matt

dunkelzahn
02-15-2006, 09:23 AM
IŽd try to create a rig, where a bunch of joints spread out in a starshape from the hip, mimicing the skirt, as the skirt is leather plated, it can a bit stiffer than normal cloth material. Now create some driven keys, with your upper leg bones driving the movement of your skirt joints. If the deformation of the underlying skirt doesnŽt satisfy you you might think about creating an extra pair of clusters point constrained to your bones for the creation of wrinkes (i.e. although they are parented, you could move them a bit with the help of driven keys to create that extra bit of motion). Making your skirt and the leather plates different objects should easen things a bit, too.

Nice and clean approach, try the joint thing first and add the clusters later on.

Aaaah, yes! Remember, whenever nothing works, take a deep breath, go for a short walk and go back to tackling that bastard of a problem! :)

mjkennedy
02-15-2006, 06:45 PM
IŽd try to create a rig, where a bunch of joints spread out in a starshape from the hip, mimicing the skirt, as the skirt is leather plated, it can a bit stiffer than normal cloth material. Now create some driven keys, with your upper leg bones driving the movement of your skirt joints. If the deformation of the underlying skirt doesnŽt satisfy you you might think about creating an extra pair of clusters point constrained to your bones for the creation of wrinkes (i.e. although they are parented, you could move them a bit with the help of driven keys to create that extra bit of motion). Making your skirt and the leather plates different objects should easen things a bit, too.

Nice and clean approach, try the joint thing first and add the clusters later on.

Aaaah, yes! Remember, whenever nothing works, take a deep breath, go for a short walk and go back to tackling that bastard of a problem! :)

Thanks for the advise. Its clear you know what you're talking about, unfortunately, I do not. I dont even know what a driven key is. Do you know of any tutorials that could help me with the concepts yoo explain here? or perhaps explain them in greater detail yourself?

Thanks either way,

Matt

dunkelzahn
02-16-2006, 08:32 AM
Weeeeell, you should know what you want to do as well. Sorry, just joking, but you know, the best characters are those which you start modelling and you already know how to rig them, so you can add lots of little tricks and details to easen the workflow. :)

Anyway, there is a pretty good tutorial for driven keys in the Maya (F1) manual. The concept of driven keys is very easy and quite helpful for rigging, as the movement of one joint can automatically drive the other ("if joint(1)rotation(x)=0; then joint(2)rotation(y)=90"etc; "if joint(1)rotation(x)=90; then joint(2)rotation(y)=45"etc...). Objects crashing through each other and little sub-animations are made possible without additional work.

Clusters are additional objects of influence you can add after you skinned your model. Press F1 and type "Cluster" to find some detailed explanation about what clusters are. There is also a "Paint Cluster Tool", which gives you more control about how your clusters can influence objects...

Now get out there and have fun!

Cheers

Chris

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2006, 08:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.