PDA

View Full Version : Metanurbs and LW Subpatched UV Maps

Paul-Angelo
02-14-2006, 03:58 PM
Hello, I just downloaded the demo of Messiah because I am thinking about purchasing it. I've imported a character that I am modeling in Lightwave. I noticed after I convert my model to Messiah's Metanurbs that the UV does not smooth as well. Therefore I get UV stretching. Is there anyway to solve this problem besides freezing my mesh first in Lightwave? Also if there is no way around it will Messiah support UV smoothing in the future?

http://www.imake3d.com/images/LW_UV.jpg

Wegg
02-14-2006, 04:03 PM
That is a very common request. Probably right on the top of my list.

What a lot of people do is use Z-Brush to texture. Z-Brush compensates for all UV stretching and works perfectly with Messiah.

I'm not the biggest fan of Z-Brush. . :shrug:

Paul-Angelo
02-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Interesting solution, unfortunately I don't currently own Zbrush so excuse my lack of knowledge in this area. Are you saying I would need to create the UV's inside of Zbrush or would I be able to use the ones I made in Lightwave and resave it somehow?

Paul-Angelo
02-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Well after messing around a little more I figured out a way that seems to be fine. I just freeze and triple the polys on the parts of my mesh that give me the UV stretching. Then in Messiah the parts I didn't freeze I convert to metanurbs and everything seems to render ok. I will have to add my voice to asking for this feature in a future release of Messiah. Oh and btw thanks for the reply earlier Wegg!

JoeCosman
02-14-2006, 05:14 PM
what I found was the texture stretching was a product of painting in curves, and not polygons.

lightwave8 will sample in the middle of the sub-d and actually warp it inverse, so when the subd is rendered, it will look straight.

I found by painting my texture in straight lines( making sure the texture was paralell to the polygon, not the subD), I didn't get the warping effect, when I metanurbs'ed it.
there are many programs that let you smear textures around(like liquify in photoshop).

another solution is to load up the Metaform plugin in LW and save out a metaformed(specially subdivided) object. Messiah can control the metaformed object with an effect called Metamation. this way, you can have correct UVs, a subdivided mesh, and a way to control it with the low resolution one.

-JoeC

CGTalk Moderation
02-14-2006, 05:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.