PDA

View Full Version : animation: a weird commercial about a robot

noorlander
12-10-2002, 10:29 PM
This is the result of ONE week of school work, we had a project where we should make a commercial for a toy robot, that collect christmas tree balls!

The result turned out to be kinda weird for beeing a commercial but anyway, what do you think about it?

download it here, its about 10MB
-> RoboBalls (http://cg.yuujin.net/3d/roboballs_VCD.mpg)

Stimpy
12-11-2002, 01:09 PM
well.. i dont quite get the story, but i really like the look. really looks like cardboard cut-outs. good job on that

stephen2002
12-11-2002, 01:18 PM
yes, everything looks like cardboard cutouts, but that has to be the STRANGEST thing I have seen in a while

fr3drik
12-11-2002, 09:10 PM
It's not really a week's worth of work though. We got amazingly drunk at one time and had a little hard drive incident as well... but anyways... hehe, it's weird allright.

Also, the link is updated... noorlander's free web space provider got mad so we had to change the location of the animation.

noorlander
12-11-2002, 09:10 PM
Stimpy: Me and Fr3drik having a hard time understanding the story too :beer:

but the main thing is that the robot is hunting for Christmas tree balls in the livingroom (the little black thing that driving on the floor) and makinga big noise.

Well the robot is product that we making the commercial about anyway.

Stimpy
12-11-2002, 09:19 PM
umm.. ok. glad im not alone then. ;)

how did you achieve this nice look ? any special stuff like final gathering or so ? everything looks very warm and natural... or just regular stuff ??

noorlander
12-11-2002, 09:23 PM
Everything is done in MAYA4.5, no plugin, no special stuff, no special rendering

just alot of pointlights...

Per-Anders
12-11-2002, 10:40 PM
that was cool... nice camerawork and style , but very bizarre... why the flashing tits at the end? been watching the young ones? couldn't really see the robot cos he moved so fast and was so small and dark, but i really like the style:thumbsup:

phishmann
12-12-2002, 12:38 AM
I saw the boobies:eek: :surprised

noorlander
12-12-2002, 05:56 AM
mdme_sadie: uurgh, nah, nothing like that... no young ones here.... just see it like a weird thing in a weird movie.... we put them there just for fun, and see how many really saw them, because they are there just ONE frame...

Per-Anders
12-12-2002, 06:06 AM
btw you have to be careful of stuff like that, there are laws in certain countries about subliminal advertising etc... so check up on that stuff before releasing commercial stuff (sad but true), i believe in the uk for instance there's a minimum frame limit of around 5 frames or something, or might be ten frames, before broadcasting is deemed not legal... anyhow best to check up on that kinda stuff (not that it bothers me... i'm subliminally influenced all the time... the fridge sits in the corner calling me out the corner of my eye as i sit here working...:D

fr3drik
12-12-2002, 07:02 AM
Hehe, thanks... It's just a semi-serious school project though (not supposed to be released commercially at all).

But it's an interesting question... I wonder what would happen if you actually did put a single frame of a pair of boobs (or something else) in a real commercial... From what I've heard your subconcious actually registers the single frame even though you actually don't notice it conciously.

Maybe it's just a rumour but I've heard that Coca Cola did this a while ago in movies. They simply bought one frame from a major feature film and there they put a picture of someone refreshing himself/herself with a bottle of cold Coke.
Apparantly, it did make many people thirsty, craving for a Coke.

Mmm... by the way, it would be nice with a Pepsi now. ;)

Stimpy
12-12-2002, 07:14 AM
considering i think most of us can spot an error if there is only a FIELD let alone a frame wrong in an animation, i think its less likely that you can get away with it on film considering the even lower framerate.

fight club got away with a couple of their flash frames since they went to great length to actually composit brad pitt into the frames, still you SAW that something happened... and well i think the dick (am i allowed to say that ?? :D ) at the end of fight club was quite noticeable.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.