PDA

View Full Version : Why does grass look black in render

Chris Bacon
02-14-2006, 12:14 AM
Ive used a grass texture on a polygon plane which works like a charm...but Im also wanting to use mayas grass from the visor....problem is that every time I render it looks black and theres no shadow, even though I have it turned on....any Ideas

Edit: also it seems that it doesnt render the grass at all in mental ray

thanks

chris

adrianwatkins
02-14-2006, 04:18 AM
as far as i know, paint effects do not render with mental ray

T-R
02-14-2006, 04:45 AM
adrianwatkins is correct. The grass in that pic is not actually black, mental ray is just not rendering it so it looks like its black. You can modify>convert>paint effects to polys and then render, or render with maya software and composite in post.

Chris Bacon
02-14-2006, 12:20 PM
the picture you see has been renderd in software...

llikethat
02-14-2006, 03:14 PM
I'm not sure..but are there lights in the scene.

Is this the default grass from the visor? Which grass have you used? Try removing the illuminated option off and render it. If possible give a snapshot of the outliner. lets c what the actual problem is.

e'lan
02-14-2006, 03:35 PM
T_R, the pic is rendered in maya software becuse though its black transparency is rendered right, so it has to be maya software only.
Vivec, increase the value attribute in the color of the grass to more than 1(identify d right one - like stem or branch or whatever), paint efx needs more light sometimes.

Chris Bacon
02-14-2006, 06:02 PM
strange..I loaded maya this morning and it renderd fine??????

oh well

Ive come across another problem though...I have a pic off a bush which has a alpha, Ive put it on a poly..BUT when I render although the alpha works it casts a square shadow

ChaosBob
03-08-2006, 01:42 PM
it seems to be a while w/o answers to this... anyway

you could probably just go in the attribute editor, render settings and deselect "cast shadows"... but this will totally erase the shadow cast. If you want it to still cast a shadow but in the bush's shape, I can't really tell right off the bat - I'm still learning that soft and have a long way to go!

ChaosBob

Duncan
03-08-2006, 05:56 PM
To my knowledge transparency maps are not evaluated for depth map shadows. However raytraced shadows will handle transparency maps fine, as long as the shadow and transparency depth settings are high enough.

Duncan

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2006, 05:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.