PDA

View Full Version : fonts are pixelated, when they are too near to camera

ManuelM
12-10-2002, 09:05 PM
a friend asked me for help in compositing some kind of motion graphics clip with lots of typo. my problem is, that when I move the camera too close towards a text, it becomes pixelated. i thought, text elements were paths/vectorgraphics, so they must be always sharp, no matter, how close i approach them.

i switched the type under "path options" to path in the text menu

any suggestions, workarounds. would be importing AI files a solution?

thanks in advance

......manuel

http://www.manuelmacha.de/Ohne-Titel-1.gif

tazmanian
12-11-2002, 06:48 AM
mmmmm.... im thinking...... thinking .... :shrug:

eudemonie
12-11-2002, 12:04 PM
try if you have the same problems when you render the composite. it could be that it is only in the viewport.

jason-slab
12-11-2002, 12:53 PM
what is the size of your text, it is possable that your size is to small for that scaling, i always try make my text bigger than i need it and scale it back a little

good luck

|jason

ManuelM
12-11-2002, 07:03 PM
that is my problem: i thought, that fonts are vectors. why can they be too small? they should be always sharp, that`s the big advantage of paths.

cu manuel

Splice
12-11-2002, 10:04 PM
Hi,

The paint/text is vector based. The problem you are experiencing is in the compositor. In this case you are not scaling the vectors. You are in fact scaling a layer. So if the layer is 100x100 pixel and you scale the layer 300%, it will pixelate. Try it with footage and you'll see...

However, if you are working directly within the paint tools, you can create text that is absolutlely tiny and then you can scale the text to whatever size you want without resolution loss. This is what illustrator/coreldraw and other vector based programmes do. You work on a canvas..ie..the paint operator and everything inside the canavas is res-independant...

To acheive what you want with text, the idea would be to create an extremely large layer and scale the layer down to normal video resolution. So when you scale the layers up nice and big they will not pixelate....

Splice...

ManuelM
12-11-2002, 10:44 PM
thank you splice

that`s also, what I thought, how combustion works.

for this kind of typo animation, it would be very helpful, if combustion was handling vector shapes resolution-independent.

I heard of discreet, to develop combustion 3. perhaps this would be a nice improvement to combustion.

thank you very much...
... manuel

tazmanian
12-16-2002, 04:51 AM
ahh..... i didnt know combustion taking text as raster .......
i thought it getting text as vector format...

Splice
12-16-2002, 09:39 AM
Hi,

The text is vector based within the paint module and is still editable....

What you are doing in the compositor is scaling the layer.... a layer is considered as a 2D image... when this is scalled up it will pixelate....

However if you want to go back into the text operator and play with the curves of the text you can, hence it is vector based......

To give a layman example here... if you write your name on a very tiny piece of paper and hold it away from you, you can read it and it is very clear...... Now if you move the piece of paper right up to your nose, the paper appears to be huge however it is very blury.... This is how it works in real life and in the compositor....

Splice...

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.