PDA

View Full Version : INTEL vs AMD??

colkai
02-13-2006, 04:17 PM
I have a scene that I am trying to load in MB and I am finding it's taking the better part of 4 minutes to load and display the file. It hangs around 50% as it does "deformations" then once it is "loaded", it takes a good 90 seconds before it deigns to display the rig.

Once displayed, i can move it around fine.

My system is an AMD XP1800+ CPU with 1GB of ram and a FX5200 Geforce card.

One of the other team members has a dual 1.2 Pentium, which loads and dispaly the scene in under 1 minute.

So my question, put simply, is MB optimized for Pentiums and AMD's are slower?

I have a really old P3-550 with 256RAM and I can load the scene on that in only something like another 60 seconds, which shouldn't be the case I would of thought. I would expect the XP1800+ to seriously outperform the old P3, but it isn't looking to be the case.

Anyone else had experience of this?

DeletedPenguin
02-13-2006, 04:40 PM
I have a dual AMD setup, and haven't had any issues. Dual procs. help alot though.

donShole
02-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Hi there Colkai,

I run MB on an AMD64 3000+ laptop with 512 MB Ram. The scene you're talking about loads in 15 - 20 seconds. I had similar trouble with a "virtual" cd-rom drive installed. MB just wouldn't load anything without hanging. If you have recently installed something similar, try uninstalling it. Beyond that, I don't have a clue.

colkai
02-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Hmm, never occured to me to check for that sorta thing.
I did try loading the fuchi scene with nothing running, killing any "unwanted" services etc, but it made on difference at all to the load time.

It's most frustrating as once it's loaded, I can move it around pretty freely.

CGTalk Moderation
02-13-2006, 06:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.