PDA

View Full Version : Spline modeling with EasySpline video #1

TrueArt Support
02-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Hi!

I would like to show you video how your spline modeling and general modeling could be improved by our the latest plug-in EasySpline..

Download AVI 11 MB better quality here:
http://www.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/EasySpline/Graphics/Movies/EasySpline_1.avi

Download MOV 9 MB lower quality here:
http://www.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/EasySpline/Graphics/Movies/EasySpline_1.mov

On the video you could see a few new tools that are used:

- EasySpline_MakeSpline - it converts traditional geometry to splines.. Each polygon edge is now 2 vertices spline.. You could f.e. take your low-res models made for game, launch this tool and with just a one click per spline convert it to multi-milion high-density geometry if needed..

- EasySpline_SplinePoint - essencial spline modeling tool.. Once you use it you will never want to use traditional LightWave tools for spline modeling.. Left mouse click is used for dragging and moving existing points in spline to new coordinate, or if there is no point in specified range (it's shown as blue circle on video) new point on spline is created and moved to mouse position, until you release left mouse key! Right mouse key is used to adjust range in which points are searched, without forcing you to go to Numeric window, which unbelieveable speeds up workflow..

- EasySpline_FreezeSpline - using this tool you will convert splines to full geometry in just one click.. It's interactive tool, therefore you could adjust density of newly generated geometry while watching how it looks like in view ports.. On the video you can see how effective and optimized is this tool, creating thousands of polygons while user is adjusting Segments control.. It's also used as general options window: the all settings you set in this tool will be also working with EasySpline_QuickFreezeSpline, EasySpline_ToggleFreezeSpline and the real-time refreshed
EasySpline polygon handler that we will show in the near future too..

- EasySpline_ToggleFreezeSpline - switch on/off showing generated geometry, used for checking how spline model looks like in reality.. Does not require selecting splines that will be patched, nor setting anything (uses settings and freezing engine from EasySpline_FreezeSpline)..

EasySpline is currently in production stage, but you could pre-order it with discount to the premier date right now and use it as one of the first in the LightWave community!

For more information please click http://easyspline.trueart.pl (http://easyspline.trueart.pl/)

The first 100 clients that will pre-order it right now will receive free gift!

Best Regards!

Lewis3D
02-13-2006, 08:36 PM
Hi !

It sure looks like great interactive spline tool but i have few questions 'coz i work with splines in LW every day and I saw modo splines are interactive also but useles for my workflow so i prefer LW splines even if they aren't interactive ;).

1. Can you show whole proces of MAKING splines from start and not converting splines from low poly object (cube in video). Let's say you have blueprints in backgorund and you outline them with splines and then patch them ?
2. Does this tool offer contant see of spline patch ? In video i can't understand do you need to click some shortcut after adjusting slines to see patch or it's automaticaly showed/updated after you release mouse button ?
3. is there Bezier splines/handles in proces of creating splines
4. Can i readjust spline patch later if i already moved/working on next one ?

Thanks

mav3rick
02-13-2006, 09:18 PM
i agree about all that lewis type .. what i am corious since i saw u did virtual mirror.
is it possyble to do VIRTUAL spline patching so for example while we edit splines i can move nodes and virtual mesh deforms how i move spline points?

KillMe
02-13-2006, 09:22 PM
having some probs with the download =/ but anyway did that easy spline extender/extruder ever get implmented?

TrueArt Support
02-13-2006, 09:49 PM
It sure looks like great interactive spline tool but i have few questions 'coz i work with splines in LW every day and I saw modo splines are interactive also but useles for my workflow so i prefer LW splines even if they aren't interactive ;).

Why don't you like Modo splines?

1. Can you show whole proces of MAKING splines from start and not converting splines from low poly object (cube in video). Let's say you have blueprints in backgorund and you outline them with splines and then patch them ?

We're planning making a few tutorials in the near future where artist will show how to create spline objects from scratch.. But from my experience building spline model from nothing is usually slower than starting from even basic cube.. EasySpline contains a set of new cutting edge tools that makes spline modeling yet another Sub-Patching algorithm, at least user could have such feeling.. f.e. make box, convert to splines, and use SplineExtrude, like you would do in normal polygon modeling.. Then two clicking on 2 vertices spline convert them to full 3d.. And you instantly see geometry in the background..

2. Does this tool offer contant see of spline patch ? In video i can't understand do you need to click some shortcut after adjusting slines to see patch or it's automaticaly showed/updated after you release mouse button ?

Yes, full product will have such functionality.. It's be done by EasySpline polygon handler.. But geometry made by polygon handlers is virtual, like with standard Sub-Patch you can't touch every single sub-polygon.. It's EasySpline_FreezeSpline shown in this video that's converting spline model to really existing polygonal model..

3. is there Bezier splines/handles in proces of creating splines

EasySpline does not have any direct tools for Bezier splines, but it allows you to use any existing or made in the future plug-ins that create or modify splines..

4. Can i readjust spline patch later if i already moved/working on next one ?

EasySpline completely changes the way you work with splines.. Instead of making splines first, then careful editing them and at the end patching triples or quads of curves to patches, you can have this just in one.. We're even planning to add basic spline primitives! Imagine something like this: press EasySpline_SplineBox, it saves you making polygonal box, converting it to splines and lauching polygon handler.. You just see box full of geometry.. But it's edges are not 2 vertices edges but 2 vertices curves... Click on one of them with EasySpline_SplinePoint (shown in this video) makes point on spline.. You keep moving mouse without releasing mouse button and you see that object in layer stop being box, but one of sides is starting to follow newly made spline.. After a few single mouse clicks it's human head that you had in reference image.. Then you select a few splines that need to be splited because this area needs more details and run EasySpline_SplineDensity.. This makes more points that follow low-res spline.. Select a few points around the head and EasySpline_BuildSpline and the all of them are splited with merged points! It's Bandsaw but for spline modeling! Such techniques will be carefully covered by the future tutorials..

TrueArt Support
02-13-2006, 09:50 PM
having some probs with the download =/ but anyway did that easy spline extender/extruder ever get implmented?

Yes, EasySpline_ExtrudeSpline has been created in december..

TrueArt Support
02-13-2006, 10:05 PM
i agree about all that lewis type .. what i am corious since i saw u did virtual mirror.
is it possyble to do VIRTUAL spline patching so for example while we edit splines i can move nodes and virtual mesh deforms how i move spline points?

That is the whole point in making EasySpline in the first place! EasySpline polygon handler is based on the exactly same engine as VirtualMirror (http://virtualmirror.trueart.pl)and ShowWeights (http://showweights.trueart.pl)plug-ins..

Additionals tools are... well.. additional.. When we started developing this we didn't even realize that they could have their own value, without EasySpline polygon handler running in the background, but EasySpline_SplinePoint have shown that we're completely wrong.. Currently, I don't imagine editing spline without it and switching back and forth between Drag Tool, Add Point (with having to select curve first :/ ) and Move...

In the EasySpline we will go even further: EasySpline will be co-operating with VirtualMirror v2.0 (sorry, required newer version) and symmetrical copy of spline model with splines and virtual geometry displayed in real-time while editing..

KillMe
02-13-2006, 10:44 PM
will the new version of virtual mirror show subpatch objects? as otherwise the old free version of it well little incentive to buy - specially since this functionality could appear in lightwave natively at some point in the 9.x cycle

oh and when is the expected release for easy spline and how much will it cost?

TrueArt Support
02-13-2006, 11:09 PM
will the new version of virtual mirror show subpatch objects?

Unfortunately VirtualMirror v2.0 don't mirror sub-patches, just cages..

If LW SDK 9 was not too much updated in this aspect since I saw it the last time, it would be even harder to duplicated LW9 Sub-Patch algorithms in 3rd party plug-ins, than in LW8.x due to fact that 3rd party plug-ins have to support the all available algorithms instead of just one...

as otherwise the old free version of it well little incentive to buy -

VirtualMirror v2.0 and ShowWeights v2.0 have been rewritten from scratch, they're now fully correctly supporting polygon handlers, which means f.e. a lot faster work and reacting on currently active object and layer switching, including putting VM or SW layer in background and showing foreground layer with yet another copy of VM or SW at the same time! In ShowWeights it also means that you can no problem switch between one Weight Map to another and it's immediately shown in that layer..

Not to mention that supporting software manufacturers is essencial for making them new updates and new products..

specially since this functionality could appear in lightwave natively at some point in the 9.x cycle

Yet another dreaming person? ;)

oh and when is the expected release for easy spline and how much will it cost?

I would like to release it in 30 days.. Pre-order cost $50, full version will be sold for $75.. People that pre-order get immediate access to beta-tested tools..

KillMe
02-13-2006, 11:31 PM
argh so lw 9 is actually going to hinder being able to see sds in virtual mirror damn that sucks =/

as for being a dreamer well i guess but can always hope they will fix symetry to work the way it should

so the second its released the price goes up? argh would like to have read a review or something before i make a purchase even a little one - any chance of some more videos showing more of its features?

edit: can you pay by paypal or something else as i got a warning saying the sites encryption wasn't upto scratch ( using opera web browser ) when i hit the add to cart button

TrueArt Support
02-13-2006, 11:59 PM
argh so lw 9 is actually going to hinder being able to see sds in virtual mirror damn that sucks =/

Proton likes the fact that VirtualMirror shows cage & Sub-Patched object at the same time.. And not just him..

as for being a dreamer well i guess but can always hope they will fix symetry to work the way it should

Which is.. ?

First of all, there should be LW SDK support for symmetry.. Currently each plug-in have to search for point scanning the all points available in the currently edited layer, just to find the right one.. LW SDK could do it much more efficiently..

so the second its released the price goes up? argh would like to have read a review or something before i make a purchase even a little one - any chance of some more videos showing more of its features?

There will be a lot of videos, tutorials and reviews!
It's rather normal that pre-orders are cheaper than when product is 100% ready..

edit: can you pay by paypal or something else as i got a warning saying the sites encryption wasn't upto scratch ( using opera web browser ) when i hit the add to cart button

Yes, you can use PayPal, just don't change currency in Reg.Net page and stay with USD, at the bottom you have PayPal option.. Once you're in PayPal you could safely change to GBP or whatever else.. BTW, Reg.Net & Digital River are safe on-line business2client and business2business partners.. We started co-operating with them in 1998.. So far, so good.. At the time when they're not taken yet by Digital River they even adopted a few my ideas to improve website & usage..

Lewis3D
02-14-2006, 12:54 AM
Why don't you like Modo splines?

I should be more specific :). I like spline tools but don't likee spline patch (atleast at modo demo they have for download and AFAIR that's 103). I made 4 curves/splines in modo. Then i use patch tool, extend that patch and it's all nice and interactive where i can move points to deform it's shape but i didn't find way to merge end points of that patch to last spline from what i'm connecting. Also modo 103 and my Nvidia 5950Ultra = crashing as hell and i tried several versions of drivers :(. It crashes (atleast with spline patching tool) 9/10 times when i use spline patch and lets say open help or reference guide. I just need same thing what LW does and all that edit, move, define is bonus but only if it works like in LW. In LW i make 4 splines and hit patch 4*4 and that's it no need for handles and tools. It would be great if is interactive so that I can change patch numbers on the fly but other than that for my work everything else isn't speeding up workflow. Don't get me wrong it would be nice to have such hangles and editing for modleing humans and stuff but for non organic stuff it's always flat and defined by spline already so no need to do that tweaking if you know how to make splines properly.

We're planning making a few tutorials in the near future where artist will show how to create spline objects from scratch.. But from my experience building spline model from nothing is usually slower than starting from even basic cube.. EasySpline contains a set of new cutting edge tools that makes spline modeling yet another Sub-Patching algorithm, at least user could have such feeling.. f.e. make box, convert to splines, and use SplineExtrude, like you would do in normal polygon modeling.. Then two clicking on 2 vertices spline convert them to full 3d.. And you instantly see geometry in the background..

Hmm that's interesting and I'd like to see that tutorial but from MY experience (modeled more than 50 cars with spline patching and several other objects) i don't see how would CUBE/BOX converted to splines enhance/speed my workflow when i need to make let's say Audi TT car which is all smooth and curved and nothing near BOXy shaped. I set blueprints in background and use bezier tool in LW (many many LW users don't know how to use it and they often think that spline draw is better/faster but it isn't) to make splines. I make splines for car in 45-60 minutes and I'm ready to patch panels which goes pretty fast from there 'coz i just select 4 splines and hit ctrl+f and usually use 3*3 or 4*4 patches. i don't need to adjust splines 'coz i have them layed on blueprints and if you know what you do with them then they are good and fixed :). For making human face it would be usefull to edit some patches flow with splines but not too much for my kind of models. Also when you make splines in current LW you can also use EXTENDER to entend points and them move them to next position/junction of lines in blueprints where you need to make spline and it works really fast when you get around it so you don't need to use bezier tool for more than few times to make longer curved splines. You can use straight lines and just "add point" to them where you need curved spline.

Yes, full product will have such functionality.. It's be done by EasySpline polygon handler.. But geometry made by polygon handlers is virtual, like with standard Sub-Patch you can't touch every single sub-polygon.. It's EasySpline_FreezeSpline shown in this video that's converting spline model to really existing polygonal model..

Is there any prediction date when full product is going to street, i'm interested to test this tool.

EasySpline completely changes the way you work with splines.. Instead of making splines first, then careful editing them and at the end patching triples or quads of curves to patches, you can have this just in one.. We're even planning to add basic spline primitives!

Thing is that I don't want to avod making splines 'coz they are my guides for patching. In car modeling you don't go and move points around and then look what you've done. If I would do that i'd get bumps and dents on car surface. Only points i need to move are points in spline before patching if i didn't make them smooth. If I'd want to avoid splines i could start wiht basic Quad polygon and just use extender to define shape but i prefer spline patching due matematical interpolation of patching shape betwen some weird curved areas on cars.

Imagine something like this: press EasySpline_SplineBox, it saves you making polygonal box, converting it to splines and lauching polygon handler.. You just see box full of geometry.. But it's edges are not 2 vertices edges but 2 vertices curves... Click on one of them with EasySpline_SplinePoint (shown in this video) makes point on spline.. You keep moving mouse without releasing mouse button and you see that object in layer stop being box, but one of sides is starting to follow newly made spline.. After a few single mouse clicks it's human head that you had in reference image.. Then you select a few splines that need to be splited because this area needs more details and run EasySpline_SplineDensity.. This makes more points that follow low-res spline.. Select a few points around the head and EasySpline_BuildSpline and the all of them are splited with merged points! It's Bandsaw but for spline modeling! Such techniques will be carefully covered by the future tutorials..

Yes this all looks interesting but i don't see that proces needed for precise modeling what i do everyday :(. i don't start with primitives and i don't need to move spline points to form car shape from box/cube shape. Maybe I'm wrong but untill i can try demo I'm not so sure about that speeding my workflow. It sure adds lot of functionality to organic modeling and that's very good. I'm glad you showed that video but please next time when you add new video try to include audio 'coz it'll explain what you are doing much better and maybe to use better compression (hint Camtasia) 'coz text on buttons is very blurry right now.

Thanks and i'm looking forward to finished product.

KillMe
02-14-2006, 02:48 AM
yeah i agree having it showing the cage can be good but would be nice to have a toggle to have it show sub patch aswell but i guess if it cant be done it cant be done

symetry in lightwave well - basically just like virtual mirror but you can affect stuff on the mirrored side too and when you do it detects which side of the axis your working on and moves the right way not the opposite way as it currently does

lots of videos is good =) and yeah i know its quite common but might be nice if you left the intro pricing for a week after launch just so ther can be some independant feedback on it

and yeah sure its fine its just when brower bring up warnings like that its hard to feel completely secure inputing your credit card details - but using paypal will work nicely

anyway will probally end up grabbing this plugin though as i want to get more into spline modeling and for organic spline modeling this will be a god send

BazC
02-14-2006, 07:32 AM
How should mirroring work? Have a play with Wings3d! It's the best virtual mirror system I have used BY FAR!

You have one side is real geometry the other is virtual (just like the Virtual Mirror plug) but BOTH sides are editable just as though they were both real geometry. Not only that but because the mirror plane is selection based rather than axis based you can mirror across ANY plane at any position. You can also freeze the virtual mirror to become real geometry. Its SUPERB!

Wings3d (http://www.wings3d.com)

TrueArt Support
02-14-2006, 07:37 AM
You have one side is real geometry the other is virtual (just like the Virtual Mirror plug) but BOTH sides are editable just as though they were both real geometry.

This is impossible in the current LightWave..

You can also freeze the virtual mirror to become real geometry.

Without freezing function it would PITA to replicate with traditional Mirror it's functionality.. With LW limited symmetry, it's quite easy to do it by yourself..

TrueArt Support
02-15-2006, 11:38 AM
I should be more specific :). I like spline tools but don't likee spline patch (atleast at modo demo they have for download and AFAIR that's 103). I made 4 curves/splines in modo. Then i use patch tool, extend that patch and it's all nice and interactive where i can move points to deform it's shape but i didn't find way to merge end points of that patch to last spline from what i'm connecting.

I don't have Modo here, but one guy working with me closely said that you should try Join..

Also modo 103 and my Nvidia 5950Ultra = crashing as hell and i tried several versions of drivers :(. It crashes (atleast with spline patching tool) 9/10 times when i use spline patch and lets say open help or reference guide.

In that case you should contact Luxology and inform them about this issue..

I just need same thing what LW does and all that edit, move, define is bonus but only if it works like in LW. In LW i make 4 splines and hit patch 4*4 and that's it no need for handles and tools. It would be great if is interactive so that I can change patch numbers on the fly but other than that for my work everything else isn't speeding up workflow. Don't get me wrong it would be nice to have such hangles and editing for modleing humans and stuff but for non organic stuff it's always flat and defined by spline already so no need to do that tweaking if you know how to make splines properly.

The main problem when new innovative tool is released is how to convince people used to old way of doing stuff that this tool will improve they workflow a lot.. Unfortunately I must say that a lot of our customers are beginners which just starts with modeling and are not so so much accustomed with only one right way..

Hmm that's interesting and I'd like to see that tutorial but from MY experience (modeled more than 50 cars with spline patching and several other objects) i don't see how would CUBE/BOX converted to splines enhance/speed my workflow when i need to make let's say Audi TT car which is all smooth and curved and nothing near BOXy shaped.

This is another example what I said above.. In polygon modeling when you start box modeling, Box made on the beginning does not looks like reference image too, right? But when you start dividing it and moving parts, it's getting closer and closer and closer.. Similar thing happens with EasySpline and other Sub-D, but much faster object looks like it should.. MUCH FASTER.. I could say within seconds, thanks to EasySpline_SplinePoint..

I set blueprints in background and use bezier tool in LW (many many LW users don't know how to use it and they often think that spline draw is better/faster but it isn't) to make splines. I make splines for car in 45-60 minutes and I'm ready to patch panels which goes pretty fast from there 'coz i just select 4 splines and hit ctrl+f and usually use 3*3 or 4*4 patches. i don't need to adjust splines 'coz i have them layed on blueprints and if you know what you do with them then they are good and fixed :). For making human face it would be usefull to edit some patches flow with splines but not too much for my kind of models. Also when you make splines in current LW you can also use EXTENDER to entend points and them move them to next position/junction of lines in blueprints where you need to make spline and it works really fast when you get around it so you don't need to use bezier tool for more than few times to make longer curved splines. You can use straight lines and just "add point" to them where you need curved spline.

45-60 minuts? That's quite a long of time.. How many splines do you make in this period of time?

Is there any prediction date when full product is going to street, i'm interested to test this tool.

I would like to release full v1.0 within 30 days, but people that pre-order it right now with discount use some of tools that're ready for month f.e. EasySpline_SplinePoint shown on video, EasySpline_SplineDensity (will be shown on another video released soon).. And when new tool is close to ready is sent to them for beta-testing..

Only points i need to move are points in spline before patching if i didn't make them smooth.

In EasySpline you don't have to divide your work to spline editing and patching.. You could do it in the same time..

Yes this all looks interesting but i don't see that proces needed for precise modeling what i do everyday :(. i don't start with primitives and i don't need to move spline points to form car shape from box/cube shape. Maybe I'm wrong but untill i can try demo I'm not so sure about that speeding my workflow. It sure adds lot of functionality to organic modeling and that's very good.

That's rather obvious that you don't start spline modeling with primitives.. Without EasySpline that can convert edges to splines this method is not possible to use by anyone in LightWave.. But in Modo, yes..

The whole point on starting with box is that you have 12 splines (or more if you set segments higher) ready at once.. Then click on them with SplinePoint to add additional point (so instead of 2 vertices curves, they convert to 3 vertices curves), this adds 3rd dimensition, and it's ultra smooth, and virtual or true patch goes exactly where you wanted (not like in Sub-Patch where cage is just a hint)..

I'm glad you showed that video but please next time when you add new video try to include audio 'coz it'll explain what you are doing much better and maybe to use better compression (hint Camtasia) 'coz text on buttons is very blurry right now.

When EasySpline will be ready I will ask Proton to make videos with voice.. Sorry, I can't make videos with voice directly..

Lewis3D
02-15-2006, 08:17 PM
I don't have Modo here, but one guy working with me closely said that you should try Join..

Jeah probably but that's IMHO one step too much. If i want ot make patch on 4 splines then i expect that patch be determined and SNAPPED to all those splines and not just to three :). In that way I could just patch 3 splines and detemine end of spline patch where i want wihtout 4th spline since it's not snapped automatically. But that's irrelevant to this story.

In that case you should contact Luxology and inform them about this issue..

I didn't have time for debuging their Demo/Trial software so i decided to wait for another newer demo version, maybe 201 will be better:). I saw on their forums that many nvidia users had some crashing issue while ATi cards worked better.

The main problem when new innovative tool is released is how to convince people used to old way of doing stuff that this tool will improve they workflow a lot.. Unfortunately I must say that a lot of our customers are beginners which just starts with modeling and are not so so much accustomed with only one right way..
This is another example what I said above.. In polygon modeling when you start box modeling, Box made on the beginning does not looks like reference image too, right? But when you start dividing it and moving parts, it's getting closer and closer and closer.. Similar thing happens with EasySpline and other Sub-D, but much faster object looks like it should.. MUCH FASTER.. I could say within seconds, thanks to EasySpline_SplinePoint..

Heheh , no that's not problem in my case. I like new things and if i was doing organic models this would be great plugin for my toolset :). Thing is that if i need to use one or two more clicks to get same result then it's not faster no matter how cool and interactive it is ;). Right now i select 4 splines, hit ctl+f, enter patch number and that's it, 3 simple steps. It would be great benefit if i could readjust some patches i did earlier but i as i understood this tool is interactive only when you have it active (as all LW tools due lack of stack/history) so it's not big help in my car modeling.

45-60 minuts? That's quite a long of time.. How many splines do you make in this period of time?

70-80-100 depends on car. I lay out ALL car lines (everything you see as black line in blueprints). Again we are talking abou very PRECISE lines and not just approximation.

I would like to release full v1.0 within 30 days, but people that pre-order it right now with discount use some of tools that're ready for month f.e. EasySpline_SplinePoint shown on video, EasySpline_SplineDensity (will be shown on another video released soon).. And when new tool is close to ready is sent to them for beta-testing..

Thats very goo dnews, pleas eupdate us when tool is ready. Will it be demo/trial version ? I know developers need cashflow for developing further but i have some "crazy" resolution wiht myself to not purchase or preorder anything untill i see or try (preffering to try demo) ;).

The whole point on starting with box is that you have 12 splines (or more if you set segments higher) ready at once.. Then click on them with SplinePoint to add additional point (so instead of 2 vertices curves, they convert to 3 vertices curves), this adds 3rd dimensition, and it's ultra smooth, and virtual or true patch goes exactly where you wanted (not like in Sub-Patch where cage is just a hint)..

Agian we are back to step One :). I know what you are trying to explain me and it's great for let's say box modleing a human head but why would i want 12 splines at once if not single of them is at right place (shape of car). I can layout out 12 rough splines (biggest parts of car) in 2-3 minutes maybe less. Tiny splines what determine some smaller parts ils are problematic ones ;).

When EasySpline will be ready I will ask Proton to make videos with voice.. Sorry, I can't make videos with voice directly..

That would be great if protom can explain it better with voice. Thank you very much for effort to explain it more. BTW will that plugin be 64bit also (work on LW64bit)??

cheers

TrueArt Support
02-16-2006, 12:05 AM
Heheh , no that's not problem in my case. I like new things and if i was doing organic models this would be great plugin for my toolset :).

I will try to convince you that EasySpline is not only to organic modeling.. ;)

Thing is that if i need to use one or two more clicks to get same result then it's not faster no matter how cool and interactive it is ;). Right now i select 4 splines, hit ctl+f, enter patch number and that's it, 3 simple steps.

But this need to be repeated, as you said earlier, 100 hundered times, when you have so many splines.. For most people it's unacceptable.. Creating Auto Patcher was the first stage to make this process more user-friendly, but then LightWave programmers gave up, and have not made anything in this department.. But I will show you that there is a lot to make spline modeling ultra user-friendly.. We're planning in our own modeler & ray-tracer TrueArt3D to have spline models even in rendering process, without having to freeze it to polygon at any time (with full animating such object).. With weight map painted areas that need to be divided more and having better quality of details..

It would be great benefit if i could readjust some patches i did earlier but i as i understood this tool is interactive only when you have it active (as all LW tools due lack of stack/history) so it's not big help in my car modeling.

Interactive tools like Move, Rotate, Resize or shown in video EasySpline_FreezeSpline are different things than polygon handlers like VirtualMirror, ShowWeights, Sub-Patch or NOT YET shown EasySpline polygon handler.. Do you tried VirtualMirror v1.0? With polygon handlers geometry could be modified by any tool interactive or non-interactive and polygon handler is executed by Modeler automatically and it analize layer and show cage (Sub-Patch) and generate virtual geometry, or duplicate in oposite axis the whole geometry found in layer (VirtualMirror).. EasySpline is yet another polygon handler, but it search for curves and when it find triples or quads make virtual geometry between them.. At the same time you could have Move, Drag or anything else active and working on object..

Thats very goo dnews, pleas eupdate us when tool is ready. Will it be demo/trial version ? I know developers need cashflow for developing further but i have some "crazy" resolution wiht myself to not purchase or preorder anything untill i see or try (preffering to try demo) ;).

The last time we made demo/trial it has been turned to almost fully working pirated copy by crackers, and our website was copied to html file and attached like it would be manual.. This discurage from promoting software using this method.. Unfortunately our plug-ins are not f.e. modelers or ray-tracers where programmer could just completely remove object & rendered image saving routines from trial which makes it completely useless for production (on the other hand somebody could start making screen-shots of rendered image ;) )..

Tiny splines what determine some smaller parts ils are problematic ones ;).

To handle this problem in EasySpline you can use EasySpline_SplineDensity.. This tool divides spline to specified number of segments replacing old points.. Increasing points numer in spline results in that you could split them without losing previous look.. As you probably know well Add Points used on spline that has small number of points might completely change overall look.. Currently you're forced to making points in connection places with other splines..

That would be great if protom can explain it better with voice. Thank you very much for effort to explain it more. BTW will that plugin be 64bit also (work on LW64bit)??

Of course it's planned, it's future of computers anyway and everybody will have to at some (hopefully near) time make everything working on 64 bits..

Lewis3D
02-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Hehe, thanks for more effort to convince me :)

I guess now it all depends on protons videos. If he can show me how to model non organic model from blueprints (not necesary car) with that plugin then i'll reconsider my thoughts and buy if is right tool for me :).

I'm sorry to hear about pirated copys of previous plugins :(. I've been in same that "s...". I saw people pirating my Spline Car modeling tutorial in PDF. I made FREE HTML version (later we added that to PDF by requests of man users but it was too big for download so it was sold on CDs) of same tutorial and it wasn't been enough anyway. Someone still wanted more for nothing :). You can't fight with that 'coz even if you don't have plugin trial when it's out if is popular pirates will crack it anyway :(.

I'm no programmer but i know that i still didn't saw code or dongle what can't be cracked/pirated :(.

P.S. I'll wait for proton videos or i'll sign up for beta tester when you accept more of them :) :D.

cheers and thanks one more time.

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2006, 07:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.