PDA

View Full Version : Simple walk

ossosso
02-13-2006, 12:49 PM
Hi everybody! :)
I really dont understand how Messiah think to animate a character:

-I put "All channel" in the EditTab for "Key edit" and "Spline edit".
-On the Keyframe Graph, on top left, I've set "All items" (but I've tried with "All associated Group" too).

-Then on frame 0 I create the first pose, I move to frame 30 and I create the second pose (first step), at frame 60 I create the second pose (2nd step) and so on.
but when I click "play" my character slide on the ground until the last pose, He doesn't walk.

Someone can help me to understand how to do? I'd like to insert a pose to a certain frame, and I'd like that the character respect that pose...

Thank you very much guys!

P.s. Sorry for many mistakes but I'm italian :)

Wegg
02-13-2006, 06:26 PM
Let me guess. . . your last animation package was 3DSMax?

he he

Messiah isn't a footstep driven animation system. It doesn't animate for you. This is why a lot of us love it. . . but causes confusion to people who have just moved over from other packages that do.

What you need to do is move EVERYTHING where you want it on specific frames. Hips, shoulders hands etc. Then move on to other frames scrubbing back and forth. . . looking at how everything is moving. . . adjusting the motion curves when needed. What this does is give you EXACTLY what you need instead of having to fight with what some programmer thought you needed.

It really is a better way.

ossosso
02-15-2006, 08:11 PM
Thank you very much wegg :)...
anyway I solved... I had just to press ENTER before moving up everything on a specific frame... with "All Items" selected... now at that frame I needn't to move every body part to record his coordinates :)...

bye bye!

catizone
02-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Daniele,

Using ALL CHANNELS for keying is not necessarily the best way. WHat that does, is key EVERY position, rotation, and scale. THat gives you many more keys than you need...and many more things to go back and adjust if there is a problem.

Think of a ball bouncing along. You only need two keys for linear travel, with a tension so that it slows to stop. For the up and down, you will need more keys than for the linear motion. You'll also have the tension set so it will slow at the top of the arc, and pick up speed as it falls. We asked for independent channels in CG for many years, and we finally have them. Just something to consider.

And specifically your walk, you need to key at least the breakdown positions to tell the computer how the character is going to move that foot forward, and what the body's reaction is to that.

Best,
Rick

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2006, 12:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.