PDA

View Full Version : EIAS 6.5r.x splash screen

Vizfizz
02-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Any ideas for a new Splash screen for the next 6.5r.x release? Not trying to slam on Markus' work, really I'm not, but I think we can do something a bit more "splashy". No?

Reuben5150
02-13-2006, 04:10 PM
I know where there's a very nice one :cool: maybe they'll use it for v7, Markus's splash to young to retire just yet maybe..

Reuben

Vizfizz
02-13-2006, 04:40 PM
I can agree with that. I wish that the program would start up and cycle through a couple of splash screens myself. You know.. more wow factor.

NorthernLights
02-14-2006, 04:18 PM
Why don't we have that as the target result for a contest?

Martin Kay
02-22-2006, 03:41 PM
What does the current splash screen look like? I haven't ordered my copy yet, still thinking about it...

Martin K

3Dmation
02-22-2006, 09:56 PM
I think we need a new one as well. Personally I'd like to have one that isn't a Paul Sherstobitof image. I absolutely love his work, but would like something different. Many of us have been working on really cool projects, but they are mostly for clients, so it's hard to get permission. If anybody is working on a project that can be used for promotional purposes, contact EI, that would be nice. We've given them tons of stuff for their website/reel, but I don't think are license goes as far as the splash screen.

Barry Berman
3Dmation Visual Effects/Sassoon Film Design

Martin Kay
02-23-2006, 07:27 AM
Couldn't someone do something that at least evokes some of the history of EI and some of the most well known films its been used for? Would you be able to get away with that?

Martin K

Vizfizz
02-23-2006, 08:23 AM
Ok.. once again.. not slamming on Markus' work...but I feel that package identity and logo visability is extremely important for attracting new users. I also wish to state that I am expressing my opinion. It all starts with the little things.

For example. I did a few google image searches on major 3D applications and here's what I found.

Keyword: Maya 3D
Results: I stopped after 19 pages of images. There were screen snapshots, rendered files, tons and tons of user images, marketing spreads, etc etc etc.

Keyword: Cinema 4D
Results: Over 19 solid pages of screenshots, rendered files, marketing logos, users images, etc.

Keyword: Lightwave 3D
Results: Over 16 pages of screenshots, rendered files, marketing logos, user images, etc.

Keyword: XSI
Results: 15 Pages. Filled

Keyword: Softimage
Results: 15 pages. Filled

Keywords: Electric Image
Results: No images related to EIAS

Keywords: Electric Image 3D
Results: 1 image related to EIAS

Keywords: Universe 3D
Results: 2 EIAS related images

Keywords: EITG
Results: No images related to EIAS

Keywords: EIAS
Results: 27 images related to EIAS after 13 pages of sifting

Keywords: EIAS 3D
Results: 3 google pages, though 1 page was almost entirely Onxytree.

Keywords: Electric Image Animation System
Results: 5 google pages of various images intermixed with other Electric things.

I think "EIAS" is the best method of "tagging" an image for Google to pick up. But my point of this exercise was to find out what the internet finds from a typical user search...and its not too much.

Here's the Maya 6/7 splash screens vs EIAS'.

My feelings between the 3 is that the Maya screens express a greater sense of wonder and creativity, while the EIAS one feels trapped back in the 1990's. 3D text is over done and the subject matter is so analytical. So much more can be done with our software. What I do like about the EIAS splash screen is it has interesting lighting and the render does highlight some nice capabilities, but it doesn't say anything that can't be done in a different pacakge.

Am I being to hard or overly opinionated here? If I am.. I'll shut up.

vrusch
02-23-2006, 09:48 AM
The "second" Maya screen looks like a still that could have been created by Cristobal.
Mister Vila where are you ?

halfworld
02-23-2006, 12:43 PM
I respond properly to that later, but I recently submitted my personal site to the search engines and tagged EVERY 3d image with 'Electric Image' and every search engine I submitted to has simply ignored my submission... frustrating! But I did try! And I will try again.

Giacomo_M
02-23-2006, 02:43 PM
My feelings between the 3 is that the Maya screens express a greater sense of wonder and creativity, while the EIAS one feels trapped back in the 1990's. 3D text is over done and the subject matter is so analytical. So much more can be done with our software. What I do like about the EIAS splash screen is it has interesting lighting and the render does highlight some nice capabilities, but it doesn't say anything that can't be done in a different pacakge.

I agree that the current splash screen for EI is pretty weak. On the other hand, the ones you posted for Maya just scream "I am trying waaay too hard to impress you" like a fat nerdy teenager with a cigarette. My vote is for something simple, clean, and understated.

Back in the 1990s, a visitor to my studio was very curious why the software box had "Retire Young" on it in big letters. She thought that was "a much cooler idea than any sci-fi stuff they could've put there." So that's my suggestion: a black splash box with "Render Fast/Retire Young." Maybe the slogan could change on every startup-- Halfworld's "Oi Maya! Render This!" is pretty catchy too.

GM

bronco
02-23-2006, 03:54 PM
shameless self plug :p

jens build it around the time a new splash screen was searched.
i like it (not only because it contains a render of mine).

Martin Kay
02-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Well the Maya versions are very good- they do show some creativity, and have been lit and textured well. The EI one is very poor, even for an image of that type. The modelling is poor and unimaginative, the texturing is as bland as could be, the glass looks nowhere as good as it could be. The lighting is not very imaginative and is a tad overlit at that.
Marketing is all about perception and this doesn't present a very good impression. Quite sad really.
Perhaps this forum should run a competition for a decent splash screen.

Martin K

Vizfizz
02-23-2006, 04:04 PM
On the other hand, the ones you posted for Maya just scream "I am trying waaay too hard to impress you" like a fat nerdy teenager with a cigarette. My vote is for something simple, clean, and understated.

GM

Thanks GM,

That made me chuckle....

3DArtZ
02-23-2006, 04:53 PM
I think that one of the best splash screens was way back in 1996 or so with the software

called RayDream Studio. they had the Shiney metalic Robot Mouse Trap. With Jets for hind
legs and 2 boxes of missles on it's back. Sitting directly on top of it's own blue prints.
It was genius as it was the pure embodyment of 3d..... And it was a fun image.
It was made by Jonathan Banta
http://www.agraphafx.com/gfx/P14.jpg

anyways, how about something fun, instead of what we have had in the past?

Mike Fitz
www.3dartz.com (http://www.3dartz.com)

FelixCat
02-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Those Maya images are a good show off about the power of the app, are a very impressive fat nerdy teenager with a cigarette, BTW. They said loud we are a powerful app, who can do this and much more...
In the other and, EiAS splash screen says me well... i can animate some logos, and put some lights in... maybe... i have no good materials at all, but im trying hard... but im geting old. :cry:

In the general creative concept, EiAS has not such thing, i feel no direction in the graphic image departament. The times of Paul Sherstovitoff had the better unicity in the creative design (well, was Paul all the time, and he has an strong style)

Im sure we need more modern concepts and ilustrations, something powerful... maybe your Fenix contest can provide some useful images?... we have a lot of work ahead, and im not sure if Eitg will aprove our efforts.

I have a graphic design company and wathever i can do for help, count with me.
BTW, the EiAS logo and ISO are very outdated too :sad:

As a footnote, the splash screen by Uwe looks very promising. Some little changes in the typo and we have something...

FelixCat

Martin Kay
02-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Back in the 1990s, a visitor to my studio was very curious why the software box had "Retire Young" on it in big letters. She thought that was "a much cooler idea than any sci-fi stuff they could've put there." So that's my suggestion: a black splash box with "Render Fast/Retire Young." Maybe the slogan could change on every startup-- Halfworld's "Oi Maya! Render This!" is pretty catchy too.

GM[/QUOTE]

That spot varnished black box was/is very cool, and as you say a minimumlist approach is better than an image that is frankly quite naff. After all what can you display about EI in a splash screen that couldn't be done in any app. You could do some real swish modelling, but that's not EI any more, you can't show animation. The only thing is the superior quality of the shaders available and there you really need some desktop stuff, Like Paul S does, to really see and appreciate the quality. Something like the original image they had in their early manuals, with a good glass globe and a butterfly, but in colour, caustics and maybe some DOF, rendered with GI would do the trick, couple with tastefully arranged text. Maybe very monochromatic, with just a touch of colour to give more atmosphere.
But how important are splash screens anyway? I still can't make out what I'm looking at in c4d's Vs 9 series splash screens. Looks like an out of focus door frame with bad camera shake...

Martin K.

Reuben5150
02-23-2006, 11:22 PM
As a footnote, the splash screen by Uwe looks very promising. Some little changes in the typo and we have something...

FelixCat

I agree, i'm glad Uwe posted that image, i was just about to contact him and ask him to show it :)

Reuben

SteveW928
02-23-2006, 11:22 PM
I agree Martin... the stuff from the 'butterfly' era of EI marketing was top notch. Simple and elegant. I suppose dated now, but is elegant ever dated?

Look at some of Apple's marketing, both print, web, and TV. Much of it simple, but very nice... clean.

I'm horrible at coming up with the ideas... I just execute them... ;) But, I know when I see good and bad stuff.

While I love seeing the contests to come up with an image for EITG... I think they need to get someone involved in that aspect. It has been a kind of hodge podge, and has looked like it has no overall direction. They need to get back to the days where when folks in CG saw the butterfly symbol, they knew it was EIAS.

Maybe, especially considering the 'phoenix - rebirth' nature of our current challenge... EITG should consider a rebirth of some of the EIAS marketing... just brought up to date.

-Steve

threedeworks
02-25-2006, 12:35 AM
Any ideas for a new Splash screen for the next 6.5r.x release? Not trying to slam on Markus' work, really I'm not, but I think we can do something a bit more "splashy". No?

hehe, sure - no problem here... to my 'defense' i must say that this blue version of the image wasn't even intended as a splash screen but more for packaging. if i'm not wrong, it is one of the WIP versions of what i did in a hurry for the 6.0 release packaging images that EITG never used! frankly, i don't know why for the 6.5 release they changed the original, yellow and blue 6.0 splash screen (which at least was 'well lit' and intended as a splash-screen, LOL) with this blue version of the same scene. unfortunately, i wasn't asked.

but i agree completely, we need something in tune with the new modern EIAS logotype (replacing the eurostyle one) but maybe - at the same time - connected to the glorious EIAS history. i really like the idea of using the camera butterfly again! didn't i see a very nice render by robert during beta 6 tests? some inspirational keywords could be: elegance, speed, simplicity. maybe we can develop into this direction... just my 2 eurocents :)

cheers

markus

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2006, 12:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.