PDA

View Full Version : FX WARS! THE OCEAN: Ted Gocek

neuromancer1978
02-13-2006, 08:45 AM
Ok. Well this is my first challenge here, something here that I can do... simulation. I am going to try the Ship challenge. I've already started to work on it tonight, got a HUGE AVI as R+D but will have to convert it to something else before I upload it (somewhere). Not sure yet what type of ship or boat to use, but will get something soon.

Using Maya 6.0, with the Ocean Shader thing. This cheap ass Dell will be tortured as I do this :D.

Well best of luck!

neuromancer1978
02-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Well after several days of ocean simulation, boat manipulation and atmosphere tests... I finally have an image. I decided what the hell and go with a sub, but used a U-Boat model I've had on file for like....forever...

Mind you there is a light, and this was only used as a test to see the sub. I have much work to do with the lighting. But I think I have the ocean simulation down, and will be posting a video as soon as I have the time render a few seconds of it. Plus I have yet to add any particle animation for the spray. I am still trying to figure out how to do that without having to make emitters all over the place. Is using other people's MEL scripts allowed???

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=2/4613433814.jpg&s=x7

RobertoOrtiz
02-16-2006, 08:03 PM
The simulation look very good and on track,
but the render is WAAAAAAYYY too dark.
I had to adjust the image to be able to see what you did.

-R

rquinn
02-16-2006, 08:30 PM
yeah check your monitor levels I couldnt see anything either

neuromancer1978
02-16-2006, 08:49 PM
The simulation look very good and on track,
but the render is WAAAAAAYYY too dark.
I had to adjust the image to be able to see what you did.

-R

LOL! Like I said - the lighting needs work. A lot fo work. Plus maybe the fact that I am using an LCD monitor could be a factor in my misjudging the brightness. EIther way, the lighting is going to be next on the list.

admiraligor
02-16-2006, 09:21 PM
awsome man, this was my original idea too, but I had to switch to another idea cause of max's fluid limitations. Could do it with maya but decided againced it.

neuromancer1978
02-17-2006, 06:38 AM
OMG!! I got most of this thing done, at least tolerable enough and the one thing I cannot get to function is a freaking wake. I am no fluids expert at all, in fact have rarely used them because my computers have not been able to handle them, so I never experimented with it, (aside from the ocean shader of course). So this wake thing has me baffled. I have searched the net, read a tutorial in a book I have, done extreme tweeking to see if SOMETHING works but every time I render a frame......nothing. Anyone have ideas? I don't want to drop out of this because of a damn wake problem. I am not posting a pic because well there is nothing to diagnose... I created a new scene to test a wake and used default ocean settings and all there is to see is a nice calm ocean.

EDIT:

Nevermind... I don't know what I did, but started a new scene, created the ocean, added a sphere, made it a motorboat, added the wake, resized the container... ran the sim, and little itty bitty ripples formed. I still cannot figure why it wasn't working before, but I guess I'll continue to test.

neuromancer1978
02-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Well after having many many hours of frustration with the motorboats floating locator resetting it's starting location to 0.0.0 I have decided to pull that idea and just keyframe the sub motion by hand because I just cannot seem to figure out HOW to force the locator to stay at my prefered location. I even tried keyframing but that only made the motion look choppy and terrible. This sucks because I had a really good rolling motion, and ALL of it was lost when I got up this morning and opened the scene, and have since then spent the past 4 hours ripping my hair out :banghead:

I just hope my keyframing animation will look better now. And I have YET to render any video of the sea, it really looks good. Hopefully tonight. But since I work all day Fri-Sun it's going to be rough to get time in.

Till then, wish me luck.

neuromancer1978
03-17-2006, 06:08 AM
Man.... with all the work I am doing on this movie I am involved with (ALOT of R+D right now) I have had little time to devote to this challenge. SO UPSET because this was so cool! However I will try to at least submit a simple ocean render, without the ship - or sub in this case. I had some cool ideas but as soon as pre-production hit it's gears - well that was a high priority as I have 6 months or so to get as much as I can working....

RobertoOrtiz
03-17-2006, 11:31 PM
My adive is to render the scene as is.

If ou render now you can submit it.

-R

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2006, 11:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.