PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle: Cooper Mini + Mutations

CapnPanic
12-10-2002, 08:21 PM
hey folks,

this is a project that i've been working on, off and on, for the last 6 months or so. started out with just wanting to model a car, because i hadn't really seriously tried it before, and then turned into a pet project to goof off with on occasion. anyhow, i thought some might enjoy it a bit, since it's mostly done in jest and just for fun :)

comments and crits are welcome, as well as any ideas for future mutations :beer:

the original model: the new cooper mini S

http://shiu.homepage.dk/capn/mini_orig.jpg

CapnPanic
12-10-2002, 08:22 PM
and then, the first mutation, the ghetto-fabulous low-riding mini:

http://shiu.homepage.dk/capn/mini_low.jpg

CapnPanic
12-10-2002, 08:22 PM
and the second mutation (just started and finished today) the monster truck, car crushing mini:

http://shiu.homepage.dk/capn/monster_mini_03.jpg

http://shiu.homepage.dk/capn/monster_mini_04.jpg

(ps - sorry for this being so many images, i tried to compress em enough so they wern't so bad and then hosted em on my own server, so hope its ok :)

yobarman
12-10-2002, 08:32 PM
very nice models!

the low-rider mini kicks ass.

actully they're all awesome concepts but i dont like the checkers one really.

RockinAkin
12-10-2002, 08:42 PM
Great work.
I like the Monster-Mini the best of em all... what I'd do to own one of those!!! Teach those who cut me off a lesson they'd never forget! :D

You should submit the lowrider into the Brazil gallery at splutterfish's website.

-DivideByZero-

smaug
12-10-2002, 10:06 PM
the monster truck version is my choice too
the color is superb
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Trion-5
12-10-2002, 10:54 PM
:buttrock:
this is complete until you get the super stretch limosine on this list....still kick ass:thumbsup:

-Edit-
Can I see the a close up on the euro tail lights of the monster truck. I would like to look at the detail

Remi
12-10-2002, 11:01 PM
Holy crap...I love the 4x4 one...it rocks....how many mutations are you going to do?:thumbsup: :applause: :surprised

JBruckner
12-11-2002, 12:45 AM
I love the 4x4 Im in love, are these going to be going up at splutterfish.com, looks good enough.

Ronski
12-11-2002, 12:53 AM
looking cool, hey the low-rider needs some nice neon lights underneath, like the ones in the Fast & the Furious ;) Oh & a Dragster version as well please!

Cheers,
Kieron

CapnPanic
12-11-2002, 01:02 AM
hey, glad you guys like em :beer:

trion-5: i like the limo idea, might have to give that a try sometime soon :thumbsup: and i'll try to render a shot of the lights out for ya tomorrow if i can :)

kieronh: ya i agree about the neon. i havn't messed with that lowrider one for a while, but perhaps i'll open it up again and add some more *bling* to it

and now, a little update to the monster truck version. added some lights on the roll bar, some exhaust pipes under the doors and a simple interior (dressed in red velvet of course)

edit: oh and btw, if anyone is interested, i've got an avi on my site (link in my sig) of the low rider version jumping around and doing some 3-wheel action. its in the misc image section of tha gallery, although i'm not going to post a direct link, cause i dunno if my site can take the beating :hmm:

cheers!

http://shiu.homepage.dk/capn/monster_mini_05.jpg

trailerpark
12-11-2002, 02:48 AM
:xtreme: the 4x4 is sweet_me want one!

AshmisT
12-11-2002, 02:50 AM
Oh man that 4x4 is awesome. just one small crit. the reflections on the hood look a little muddy, like its reflecting a building or something when it is in a studio environment.

other than that its a fabulous concept.... i'm jealous

:beer:

Opeth
12-11-2002, 03:51 AM
very impressive! :)

viper11885
12-11-2002, 07:15 AM
wow, the 4x4 one kicks ass :D

btw, the original pic of the mini cooper... it looks like the rims seem a bit too flat.. or are they suppose to be like that on this car??

mandaricmarko
12-11-2002, 07:37 AM
very nice, even though i'm a fR guy.... especially like the license plate...

good work,

paultheplumber
12-11-2002, 10:04 AM
The 4x4 looks like a very cool toy. I'd love to have a remote controlled MiniCooper that looks like that...

But if you tweak the camera's FOV does it look more like a full sized truck?

CapnPanic
12-11-2002, 03:33 PM
here's a quick render of the taillight for trion-5 (no anti-alising though) its just a faceted chrome material

http://shiu.homepage.dk/capn/taillight.jpg

and a lower shot of the truck from a rear angle for paultheplumber. as you can see, most of the other renderings were from high angles so i wouldn't have to build any background. and now u can see the hdri map in the background that is being used for reflections. this answers AshmisT's comment, to the hood reflections, as they are just a reflected hdri map in the background, cause i think it looks cool :cool:

http://shiu.homepage.dk/capn/monster_mini_06.jpg

Airflow
12-11-2002, 05:09 PM
Luvverly mate, looks real nice, though the hrdi map, you should have a hi quality one composited in the render and a low quality one for your light solution. Still, its amazing modeling and rendering. You get 5 stars from me.:bounce:

artistx
12-11-2002, 05:11 PM
Nice work Capn_Panic! I really like how you tried a variety of forms/colors based off the central theme. I'm in K.C. as well. We'll have to meet some time. Keep up the quality work.

The-Buzz
12-11-2002, 05:45 PM
Wow! Good Work!:thumbsup:

you are an fanatic of the mini :bounce:

and good continuation! :D

fr3drik
12-11-2002, 10:23 PM
Whoa, that's one slimy, cool looking mini 4x4! I bet it would look really silly driving around in it though?

CDS
12-11-2002, 10:29 PM
THe 4x4 looks great...cept. On your 4 link suspension components you need some hyme joints or some johny joints. the way it is right now, your suspension looks solid.

Nice work!

CapnPanic
12-11-2002, 10:35 PM
artistx: do you go to any of the KCAGA (http://www.trinity3d.com/kcaga/) meetings? i usually attend them, so feel free to come and see the show and chat a bit. although i don't think i'll be at the december meeting, due to holiday stuff, i'll probably be at the january one :)

now, one more update, with some detail shots:

http://www.hello-napalm.com/cgtalk/mmini_combo.jpg

Pixelhazard
12-12-2002, 06:39 PM
Very nice work! Your demo reel kicks too!

You should take a picture of some cars parked along the street with an empty parking space and but the 4x4 there. Or even the lowrider

Reeeeally nice work, keep it up!

Tom "Pixelhazard"

McSpirit
12-12-2002, 07:11 PM
Did you use NURBS or Poly modeling for thiese Kickass models?:bounce:

flamedevil
12-12-2002, 07:18 PM
Great concept Capn_Panic and nice render.
I would like to drive one like that :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

stephen2002
12-12-2002, 07:53 PM
looks great, but it needs an environment. A lot of your pics are missing as well (and your site is down)

I just checked again and your pics are up. The materials on the low-rider and the 4x4 are top-notch. Very nice! Web page still not responding.

maDDog[rus]
12-12-2002, 07:59 PM
I love your high-detaled modelling!!!
Brilliant work! :thumbsup: :lightbulb

shoey
12-12-2002, 08:02 PM
i like them all, but the 4x4 just kicks ass. great work.:applause: :bounce: :thumbsup:

CapnPanic
12-12-2002, 08:06 PM
hey guys, glad everyone likes the monster mini :)

McSpirit: it was done mostly with spline cages & surface tools along with a little poly modeling (the new bits)

Pixelhazard: yeah thats next on my list...gotta remember to bring my camera to work with me to take some pics (as its dark by the time i get home every day) and then expect to see a composited pic soon :)

yeah sorry about the pics guys, look slike my $5/month hosting can't take teh hammering from cgtalk hehe...i'll see what i can doo, mebbe upload a few pics to the cgtalk servers to offset it a bit :) should be working here soon i hope

CapnPanic
12-12-2002, 08:11 PM
ok, heres the monster again, with some new treads on the tires

maDDog[rus]
12-12-2002, 08:28 PM
Can you give us some wheelbase angle... I mean the car standing on the rock on one front wheel... think it'll be look more agressive :buttrock:

The Magic Pen
12-12-2002, 08:33 PM
rockin !! :buttrock:

visualboo
12-12-2002, 09:05 PM
hahahahh.... the ghetto fab one is funny sheet man. Thought I was back in Phoenix again ;)

Hans-Erik
12-12-2002, 09:17 PM
Damn the 4x4 rooooox! :beer: :buttrock: :buttrock: :applause: :thumbsup: :buttrock: :buttrock: :beer:

devilmech
12-12-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by DivideByZero
Great work.
I like the Monster-Mini the best of em all... what I'd do to own one of those!!! Teach those who cut me off a lesson they'd never forget! :D

You should submit the lowrider into the Brazil gallery at splutterfish's website.

-DivideByZero-

It already is, it's been there for like 3 months, and the avi too

CapnPanic
12-12-2002, 09:52 PM
well the images should all be back now, much thanks to Soeren_Nielson in the cgtalk irc channel for hosting them now :beer:

another render, with simple stand-in ground and rock, from another angle :)

Xilica
12-12-2002, 10:07 PM
I love this type of art!!!!!!

CarlCampbell
12-12-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Capn_Panic
ok, heres the monster again, with some new treads on the tires

They wouldn't reach so near to the hob-cap (thats what they're called, right? /me is spanish, sry!). I don't think this baby can go 2-wheeling so nearer the center is where a Pirelli or Firestone logo and tyre model text would go, not more tread :wip:

Carl :beer:

CapnPanic
12-12-2002, 11:58 PM
yeah carl, i think you are right...looking at some pics of actual monster trucks, the hub is generally alot smaller, which would make for a larger sidewall...perhaps tomorrow i'll poke at it some more :) i can't say i was really going for acuracy in the first place though, as anyone who knows anything about monster truck suspension or drive train (not me) can tell from the guesswork i did on the under carriage :rolleyes:

CarlCampbell
12-13-2002, 12:12 AM
Do not worry about the suspension. I would have just placed random poles too!
Btw, I like how you advertise both Brazil and MAX (more subtle) on your vehicles. You must really like both plug and software! I was reasearching into HDRI a while ago but I gotta make a car to try it out first...
First things last :surprised, can you show us a wire of the Monster Truck and the Lowrider perhaps? Also, how about some render stats (time & sampling setting)? :bounce:

tjbeseda
12-13-2002, 12:23 AM
sweet! that low rider looks like the El Cmino I got! put some ground effects, some tireflys, a glowin' antenna, light=up fluid nozzles, and some extended axles. that would be PIMPIN' :buttrock: :twisted: :xtreme: :insane:

Aaron Moore
12-13-2002, 01:36 AM
can you give me insight into the car paint material? I like that multi color look. Is it procedual?

Kirt
12-13-2002, 01:39 AM
Cool cars! I would love to see a stretch limo version, a pro-street drag racer and a convertible. Excellent work! Keep it up :xtreme:

CapnPanic
12-13-2002, 02:12 AM
carl: yeah i can post a wireframe of both vehicles tomorrow as well as check what my settings are (files are on my workstation at work, as thats the only place i have brazil)

aaron moore: the carpaint material is actually a shader that comes with brazil. it's a light direction/view-dependant shader that also has little flakes (to simulate metalic paints) which is used on both the low rider and the monster truck

facial
12-13-2002, 03:21 AM
Very cool, I love these cars. :thumbsup: Keepost more

derelict
12-13-2002, 03:35 AM
Yo captain!

Send your piece to Bavaria Motor Works, pronto! I'm sure they will love it enough to come up with an assembly line for the 4x4.

Fantastic work man!

jason-slab
12-13-2002, 05:35 AM
stunning work capn:thumbsup:

DJace
12-13-2002, 06:28 AM
man, that is really stylish.....
The mini is one of my fav cars tooo!!!!!
this rockss:applause:

CapnPanic
12-13-2002, 04:29 PM
and a couple of wireframe shots:

http://www.hello-napalm.com/cgtalk/lowwire.jpg

http://www.hello-napalm.com/cgtalk/monsterwire.jpg

CarlCampbell
12-13-2002, 05:10 PM
Top-notch, d00d! Are the treads modelled or displacement mapped, btw?

CapnPanic
12-13-2002, 05:14 PM
the treads are modeled ala thomas suurland's method as used on his new beetle. just model a small section and make an array of it, join those together and bend the long strip into a donut shape and weld the ends....voila! instant tire ;) plus a little finesse with edit poly and a ffd modifier to add a little squash on the bottom of the tires.

artistx
12-13-2002, 06:45 PM
Capn_Panic - I had no idea they had a group going in K.C. . I'll definitely try to attend those meetings. Hopefully, I haven't missed the December one. I leave before Jan. 2nd, so I may not make next month's meeting. Here is my contact info.

www.artistx_000.gullickson.com

artistx_000@hotmail.com

The gallery is slim right now, but I should have some polished work up by next Friday. Let me know what you think. It looks like you're a Max guy, but if you use Maya or XSI I think you'll find the tutorial page useful.

azazel
12-14-2002, 10:22 AM
I'd like to have somethink like your 4x4 mini. It'd be nice to see also streamlined mini (not low-rider, but extremely smooth one), WRC mini, Mad Max-style mini, Hot-rod mini...

odin
12-14-2002, 10:35 AM
definitely one of the best car modeling i've ever seen ! way to go !!!:thumbsup: :buttrock: :airguitar :D

psilipsycho
12-15-2002, 05:16 AM
I don't usually reply just to inflate someone's ego but, these rides are SICK! very SICK!! I want one!:airguitar

CapnPanic
12-16-2002, 08:42 PM
ok and one more. just a quick model for fun. hope everyone likes it :)

http://www.hello-napalm.com/pics/mini_limo_05.jpg

KarelVR
12-16-2002, 09:32 PM
Hahaha ! Absolutely fantastic !! I love the limo-mini !!
Excellent work, Capn panic !!

K.

Remi
12-16-2002, 09:36 PM
Amazing.....do I have to say any more....:surprised :thumbsup: :wavey:

CarlCampbell
12-16-2002, 11:16 PM
D00d! You are just TOO much! I'm ROFLMFAO here! In Spain, tuning (car modding) is a very big thing but this just beats the crap out of it!
Only crit is the colour, I think you should go with an extremely glossy white, add some of those lamps in between each section and probably make one of those plane-like tail fins and let it show :)

EDIT: Oh, I see the lights now! man, how do these damn things corner? I just can't figure it out....

Flog
12-16-2002, 11:16 PM
I hate car models and such!! But I have to say I like your style and vehicles, even though I like character modelling better. I think these cars look so good and were really well done. I wish I could drive them around in real life. Great work!!!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

tjbeseda
12-16-2002, 11:38 PM
oh man! i hate car models...but i love these. awesome stuff man.

i was thinkin a toonish version would be awesome. only the body would be normal with some toony outrageously large weapons. some sweet modifications too!

great work! :thumbsup:

CapnPanic
12-17-2002, 03:47 PM
hey thanks guys, glad you like it, despite an overwhelming hatred for car models ;) i'll see if i can work up some characters soon to offset my reputation as a car guy :beer:

EighthDecay
12-18-2002, 07:19 PM
Love it, what I was missing out ont, dang it.

great way to mess with one model in different combinations.

Looks like fun, I want one of them off road buggy type.

great stuff.

lragno
12-18-2002, 11:41 PM

it was done mostly with spline cages & surface tools along with a little poly modeling (the new bits)

Hey Capn_Panic. Excellent images! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Could you give little explanation about the surface tools with splines?

DeathCarrot
12-19-2002, 12:06 AM
These are cool! :applause:
:bounce: more mutations!!!! :bounce:

DeathCarrot
12-19-2002, 12:09 AM
you could for example.. do a sort of like a trailer at the back... like the back side of the mini sorta..
http://www.niksula.cs.hut.fi/~mdobruck/siililand/mini/diy/alien/trailer/example1.jpg
I actually seen one of these on the road! LOLled like hell :applause:

ADD: if you wanna make one of these yourself out of an unused mini.. look here: http://www.mini.org/nmd/namd/projects/trailer/trailer.html :thumbsup:

CapnPanic
12-19-2002, 03:13 AM
Iragno: well the whole car was origianlly modeled with splines, formed into cages (making 3- or 4-sided shapes) and then a surface modifier applied, which forms patches over the cage. i don't have any good examples handy, so perhaps a google search (although i just tried one and it turned up two tuts, neither of which i thought was very good) would find some more examples. perhaps the max help fiels could help a bit. and if not, and there is some interest, perhaps i could work a tut up myself (i'ev been meaning to put a tut section on my web site anyway ;) so if anyone has interest in tutorials on ANY aspect of the cars, specifically or generally, then let me know and perhaps i can get myself in gear to work some tuts up :beer:

DeathCarrot: now that is pretty sweet, but check out this guys project: http://www.dataphone.se/~fixer/project2.htm

lragno
12-19-2002, 04:47 AM
Oh man, I would love a tutorial. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I've been trying to model (max 5) a car using various techniques and even though I've made good progress, I'm still at a stand-still.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

animalunae
12-19-2002, 01:47 PM
Hey, I like'm, really, nothing to comment but the minor bump next to the headlights, on the hood there's a little bump... and I'd love to see the strech in white or black, the brownish grey doesn't please my eye that much see...

HapZungLam
12-19-2002, 03:12 PM
somehow i can't find my reply again. i guess its just being deleted again. My question was, how do you apply the shader so that it looks like the paint look so great that there has a silver layer underneath?

CapnPanic
12-19-2002, 04:10 PM
iragno: cool, ok i'll try to work something up here pretty soon :)

derbyqsalno: yeah there are a few ripples around the headlights, which are mainly a result of using the surface tools there. if i redid the hood again now, i would just use poly modeling or a combination of the two modeling types to avoid those ripples. that is also teh main reason why i pretty much just use poly modeling now, those little quirks in surface tools would drive me crazy

HapZungLam: all the car paint materials (except the yellow one) are the Brazil carp paint shader. the shader is basically a light/view angle-dependant shader that blends between two colors (like green and yellow on the monster truck) and then also has little procedural flakes in it, for that metalic look. :)

lragno
12-19-2002, 07:42 PM

derbyqsalno: yeah there are a few ripples around the headlights, which are mainly a result of using the surface tools there. if i redid the hood again now, i would just use poly modeling or a combination of the two modeling types to avoid those ripples. that is also teh main reason why i pretty much just use poly modeling now, those little quirks in surface tools would drive me crazy

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that if you had to re-model the mini, you'd not use Surface Tools and instead use polymodeling?

By polymodeling I'm assuming the techniques that are used in Trinisica.com. Right?

CapnPanic
12-19-2002, 10:25 PM
iragno: that's pretty much right. in the time since i made the original mini model (probably about 9 months now) i've grown rather fond of poly modeling, ie starting with a box or other basic shape, then converting it to editable poly and then pulling/puching/adding verts etc until it is the desired shape, and then meshsmoothing the whole thing. surface tools are good in some cases, but tend to be a bit more tedious to set up and are limited in a few ways, which can be annoying (like pretty much any case where u need a hole in a surface).

but, yeah it's pretty close to the video that jt has on trinisica of him building the torso. i just find it much faster to model that way :)

Fragment
01-29-2003, 09:09 PM
Thats great, i own a mini and I would love to mod it out as a 4x4. I was poking around on your site, and I was amazed. Great work! My favorite is the red Spaceship, sooo sweet

cheers!

--Jeff

:wip:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.