PDA

View Full Version : Demo reel - Ahmed Bahaa Hassan

beho
02-13-2006, 12:28 AM
Here's my Demo reel. It's up on the net for 4 months till now, but it's the first time to show it here. Hope you like it.

My web site: www.ahmed-vfx.com (http://www.ahmed-vfx.com/)

The Demoreel: http://www.ahmed-vfx.com/videos/reelmed.zip
Demoreel Mirror: http://www.savefile.com/files/9064191 (http://www.savefile.com/files/9064191)(Thanks to RobertoOrtiz)
Low quality streaming: http://www.ahmed-vfx.com/video.html

Reel Breakdown: http://www.ahmed-vfx.com/pdfs/contribution.pdf
DivX Codec: http://download.divx.com/divx/DivXPlay.exe (http://download.divx.com/divx/DivXPlay.exe)

http://www.ahmed-vfx.com/images/sample.jpg

u3slide
02-13-2006, 12:51 AM
Man, you are a real pro , I'm amazed:drool: .
Take care cg artists Egyptians are coming:p.

beho
02-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Thanks a lot u3

VKarlsson
02-14-2006, 09:29 AM
Omg, this was quite amazing! Really nice work imo

sgbox
02-14-2006, 09:52 AM
esselam.

its amazin reel man. very very succesfull works.

Sandybell
02-14-2006, 10:44 AM
;) It is Really very nice work

EssaMania
02-14-2006, 11:28 AM
Great job Beho... and a great Demoreel :beer:

Essam

beho
02-14-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks guys

hatem
02-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Great job Beho, and i hope we will work again together.
u know that i belive in ur talent, so i'll give u 5 stars, but it appears that i'm not the only one that belive in ur talent.
u have alot of stars now, don't lose them:applause:
Hatem

rafaelrubio
02-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Great demoreel friend! A like a lot, specially your skills making water! Good luck! :thumbsup:

detached
02-15-2006, 02:41 AM
Nice stuff Ahmed, I'm impressed. :thumbsup:

EternalArt
02-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Great reel . man ... 5 star from me

expands
02-16-2006, 02:37 AM
Omg, amazing! Really nice work

mahmoudcg
02-16-2006, 12:01 PM
great work bahaa'
keep it up

elmallah2002
02-16-2006, 01:19 PM
behoooooooo.. el demo reel gamed gedan .

beho
02-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Thank you guys so much for your compliments. I'm really glad you liked my work. And special thanks for my friends whome I worked with.

netleader
02-16-2006, 05:20 PM
not much to say ... just very good i dont like all but some are amazing :) what i really like the most is the BMW thing simple and good :)

beho
02-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Hi Netleader,

Thanks for the feedback. I'd really like a critique. I'm glad that you like some of it, though what don't you like and what do you suggest?

Thanks,

netleader
02-16-2006, 06:34 PM
:) please don't understand me wrong
from a design and tech. perspective the things are pretty good it's just my weird personal taste ;) i like more those metallic things looks realistic especially the water drop how did u do that ?

i hope that we can see more of your work soon!

robinhood
02-16-2006, 09:03 PM
ohh very nice work..i really like it

michelhabib
02-16-2006, 09:57 PM
Amazing shots bro, very impressive, did you work on all of these scenes alone?

come visit us at CG4ME :)

RobertoOrtiz
02-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Posted a mirror here (you will need it)

http://www.savefile.com/files/9064191 (http://www.savefile.com/files/9064191)

Plugged!

-R

beho
02-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Netleader, I didn't understand you wrong. I really want your honest opinion cuz that will help me.

RobertoOrtiz, Thanks for the mirror.

By the way, did anyone find any trouble downloading the reel from my site?

magicsy
02-17-2006, 12:12 AM
Hi i dont normally post many comments on things on this site, but i downloaded ure reel and i had to come post a comment!! i must say i am so impressed with ure work its fantastic!! now i know everyone like crit and pointers so heres mine. :)
i think the ending of the reel could end more dramatic maybe with something more spectacular.
......but thats about all i can say, well done and good luck in the future!!

ajsfuxor
02-17-2006, 12:33 AM
Great Reel!

Can you talk a little bit about the first piece, where the trails are lighting the lights.

How did you make those trails? They look fantastic!

beho
02-17-2006, 12:55 AM
Hi i dont normally post many comments on things on this site, but i downloaded ure reel and i had to come post a comment!! i must say i am so impressed with ure work its fantastic!! now i know everyone like crit and pointers so heres mine. :)
i think the ending of the reel could end more dramatic maybe with something more spectacular.
......but thats about all i can say, well done and good luck in the future!!

Thanks Magicsy. I know the ending of the reel is a bit poor but that's because I arranged the clips in the reel according to their creation date, from the most recent to the oldest. So it's obvious why the last thing is the poorest thing :).

Goul
02-17-2006, 12:56 AM
Great reel man :)

Really love yours renders, the seaside ones are truely amazing :bounce:

beho
02-17-2006, 01:28 AM
The water drop:
I did it with Particle flow and Blob mesh (3dsmax). It's quite easy.
-Emmite particles form a surface.
-Apply gravity and wind (with force=0 and higher turbulence).
-Give them "Speed by surface" operator using the same surface with a low speed value.
-Spawn from those particles another particles to form the trail.
You can find a free video tutorial for that by Allan Mckay (http://www.allanmckay.com)
http://www.charleycarlat.com/amckay/tuts/waterdrop_tut.avi
I'm sure this guy is explaining it better than my attempt here.

The Trails:
Coming soon (sorry it's a bit complicated)

ajsfuxor
02-17-2006, 01:33 AM
hehehe....now my interests are peaked about the trails!

Djenx
02-17-2006, 02:01 AM
Fantastic work!! especially the schweppes commercial :applause:

I've got to ask, what's the name of the song you used as the theme for your reel?

beho
02-17-2006, 02:19 AM
I assume you guys have a background in Particle Flow.
The main concept is to spawn particles from another moving partilcles. The spawned particles are so close together and still in their positions to form a line (the trail).

1) The Main Spawning particles (not renderable):

-Emmit particles from a circular standard pf emmitor.
-You'll make those particles follow a target which is traveling over a path.
-Add a "Find target" test.
-Constrain the "Find target"-icon to a path.
-Sync by particle age: In the drop down menu next to the second "Sync by" choose "Particle age".
You'll need a lot of adjustments to the "Speed" in the "Find target" test. You need to find a sutble ratio between the icon's speed and the speed of the particles so they travel on the path as well.
-I used a vortex force attached to the icon traveling with it to make the particles revolve as they move. but you can be more creative and use other methods to make them move in none ordinary ways.

2) The spawned particles (the trail)

-Add a "Spawn test" to the event above.
-Choose "By travle distance"
-Make the Speed zero.
-Export the Spawned particles to another event with "Shape facing" operator in it.
-Add a "Material dynamic" operator to the new event.
-In the material editor make a new std material.
-A radial gradiant ramp in the Opacity with black color over the edge, very dark gray in the middle, a darker gray in between.
-Click on "Gradient Ramp" on the top right and choose particle age, (keep old map sub-map) then click ok.
-Copy the "Gradient Ramp" map to "Color #2" and make "Color #3" black.
-In the "Extended Parameters" roll out back in the std material choose Additive Trancsparency.
-Choose the diffuse color you want.
-Add a "Delete" operator to the event and choose particle age and adjust the adge in frames.
-Adjust the step size in the "Find target" test and the size of the particles in the "Shape facing" operator till you get the look you want for the trail.

I hope I covered it.

thesuperph
02-17-2006, 02:33 AM
good work :)

beho
02-17-2006, 02:33 AM
The music is "First Transmission" by AlPha-X

elnady
02-17-2006, 03:24 AM
Ahmed your work is truly amazing

Thanks for sharing
wish you best of luck:applause:
where do you work?

Salaadin
02-17-2006, 04:57 AM
:bounce: ..al salamu alekum ..this is a great demo reel, it is amazing and very creative. all the best

NumbRobot14
02-17-2006, 07:34 AM
Overall, I think it's a really well constructed demo reel. I loved the music (thanks for saying who it was) and the whole mood put me in a trance. The editing was sharp and very slick... especially in the beginning... but I'm not sure it needs to be 4 minutes long.

As beautiful as everything was I believe that your skyscraper and beach scenes (after the three minute mark) is where it loses a little momentum. Maybe you don't need to even show you're older stuff at this point. I guess what I'm saying is that you already had me by the two and a half minute mark and yet it kept going for another minute and a half.

Just my suggestion... but overall your work is really amazing and inspiring! :thumbsup:

Huracan
02-17-2006, 07:38 AM
wow absolutely astonishing, at this level you have nothing more to prove! you're a pro!

netleader
02-17-2006, 07:53 AM
hi ahmed
thanks for the help with the water drop :)

AymanKamel
02-17-2006, 09:11 AM
Very nice Work Ahmed , Very good particles and fluids , keep up the great work,

dunkelzahn
02-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Very nice reel, I also like the web site. Nice job with the password protection. The only thing I have to criticize is, that there is no QT version, as some agencies are still Mac only.

Otherwise, good work and good luck! :)

stevopolis
02-17-2006, 09:24 AM
The reel looks good. Overall you demonstrate a solid technical understanding of
3D techniques and such. Although if you are focusing on a specific trade in CG, you should
rework a second reel that highlights some of your strongest work. I've pushed my old
work aside to create a fine tuned short reel. It sucks to have to push your work out of the
reel, but ultimately your best work gets you the job.

You have some really solid FX related work in there. Your edit is really nice and you should
keep it for certain job applications, although I would suggest fine tuning your reel down to
a minute and a half...

Just my opinion, and your stuff looks really good!!!

Sherif.Nagib
02-17-2006, 10:20 AM
sweeeeeetness! , that's a vast range of skills.. really enjoyed it. Besides all the nice simulations I really admire your texturing skills, specially on that chocolate commercial.
I'll repeat what misho said.. come and visit us @ cg4me (http://cg4me.com/).. fe entezarak ;)

Loolarge
02-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Hi all, it's just me sticking my thumb in the air :)

BlackNull
02-17-2006, 12:17 PM
:eek: :eek: the way everything is put together is a real work of a pro. It's a real pleasure to watch, thanks for sharing this top quality demo reel. :)

ThE MaStEr Of DyNaMiX
02-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Man, you are a real pro , I'm amazed:drool: .
Take care cg artists Egyptians are coming:p.I totaly agree with you "u3slide":twisted: , as im dreaming with my friends of Pixar and Electronic Arts:scream: , Go Egyptians Go !!!:applause:

Note: How can i upload my demo reels on CGtalk ??? And i downloaded the demo but it didnt work and it gave me an error !:curious:

XianPalintir
02-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Hey Ahmed, really impressive work, and the work in reel production is excellent. You're a PRO artist, no doubt, and i hope you keep showing and teaching us about your work. I loved the jumping cube, amazing...

Xian...SuEtEr

beho
02-17-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys to all of you. I'm really flattered. I really don't think of myself as a pro, cuz once I think so my learning curve will decelerate.

I'll upload a low quality QuickTime streaming version as soon as possible, cuz a lot of people thought that's a good idea. As for the one that's up now you need DivX coded to view it.

Download it from here:
http://download.divx.com/divx/DivXPlay.exe

Ecleposs
02-17-2006, 04:07 PM
great work brother :bounce: ..its realy amazing:thumbsup:
nothing to say but "masha2 allah"
keep on rendering:) and congrats for the frontpage:) :thumbsup:

loocas
02-17-2006, 05:38 PM
Wicked stuff beho! :buttrock:

Luv it all!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/rating/rating_5.gif from me :applause:

waleedss
02-17-2006, 06:21 PM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/rating/rating_5.gif Amazing Work friend
regards from Bany Suif :applause:

@lias
02-17-2006, 07:23 PM
very good work.it's great
but i see many brand on this reel.i think u work in some kind of studio.did u made all this jop alone?or u only made the 3d
because the ideas of the shots and the lay out is what ilike the best.did u made it all by ur self
good jop

Ranimate
02-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Awesome work my friend :)
Congrats on getting plugged! you deserve it!

:thumbsup:

Ranimate

maxspider3000
02-17-2006, 09:48 PM
wow ... awesome Ahmed ...
u did many amazing works as i see ... it's so greet to see ur demo reel here ...
wait a PM from me soon ...

oh .. i forget ... congrats for the front page ...
i guess you are one from the least arab cg artists who reached to that place ...

keep it up :thumbsup:

pepino-oni
02-17-2006, 10:08 PM
Love it :) You kick, bro :)

SonnyBono
02-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Very nice.

beho
02-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Hi,
Thanks again for all the replies, you guys are amazing.
You can see what I did in each project if you download this pdf file
http://www.ahmed-vfx.com/pdfs/contribution.pdf

ashrass99
02-17-2006, 10:51 PM
wonderful demoreel.

elghbry
02-18-2006, 01:19 AM
good man great animation

ratbaggy
02-18-2006, 03:38 AM
fairly nice reel, I think the timing/edit could be a bit more dynamic, but you sure seem to have a lot of solid work in there. well done.

also, your site is down :)

native_sol
02-18-2006, 09:49 AM
WOW WOW WOW machallah tabarakallah

VERY VERY GOOD JOB

KEEP IT UP

anostudio
02-18-2006, 09:57 AM
MACHALLAH TABARAKALAH
THAT A GREAT JOB BROTHER
no comment Just WOW

asparta
02-18-2006, 12:06 PM
awesome...i'm speechless...this appears to be very hard work, and it must took much time to be done

beho
02-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Hi,

I was asked by email about how I did that effect where the concrete constructions desolve into particles then reformed again into another construction. So I thought that I'd share it here.

It's simple I use Particle flow and Slice modifier. To destroy the building I animated the slice plan from top to bottom. For the particles, I used a hidden building similar to the original and used emit Particles from Object to have particles all over the object (not renderable). Then with a deflector animated downwards with the slice plan, using a Collision Spawn test, other particles are formed which have After burn applied to them.

Then to form another building which is in the same place. It's just the reveres of the previous (the slice plane from bottom to top). A hidden box (or any object) also moving upwards with the slice plane is a target for the new particles (Find target test). And the particles die when the find the target.

mahmoudcg
02-18-2006, 02:48 PM
nice stuff beho
thnx for sharing your tips
the best thing i like is your chocolate ad. its really beautifull, the molten chocolate looks very real and the ad really rocks :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ihab
02-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Behooooooooooooooooooooooo
Nice work, keep going man :buttrock:

C u in le Cafe:bounce:

Milho
02-18-2006, 05:58 PM
Simply amazing.

The water coming out the ground is incredible, the shader kicks ass!

Sherif.Nagib
02-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Hey man,
may I ask about the music used.. I really like it , where is it from ?

jimmyrandom
02-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Hey Beho... Very nice!!! Good Job! :thumbsup:

Chakib
02-18-2006, 07:22 PM
What a fantastic works:scream:... i love them man :buttrock:

Kepp the good work :thumbsup:

Omar R
02-18-2006, 11:24 PM
Great, smooth N slick demoreel.Good style, timing and obviously technical.

Just hold on Ahmed to see more of his futurs works.

regards

msamax
02-18-2006, 11:30 PM
Great Work Beho, Good Luck!!!:thumbsup: ........

the_zed_axis
02-19-2006, 09:41 AM
one of the best demo reels that i have seen in a loong loong time:)
very impressive work my friend

samking21
02-19-2006, 11:48 AM
excellent hardcore 3d " the egyption is coming by strength " :buttrock: :bounce: :thumbsup:

hany
02-19-2006, 02:12 PM
really impressive,
one of the best VFX reels i've seen,
good luck in your future projects.

samking21
02-19-2006, 02:53 PM
your image very sharp very good colors

please put tips for Brazils render " preparation "

thanks ahmed :)

beho
02-19-2006, 03:28 PM
Thanks a lot to all of you,

Sam, could you be more specific? I'd love to answer any question.

MoMaZa
02-19-2006, 03:55 PM
:thumbsup: Amazing Ahmed I Saw Most Of Them At Tv And Really Good Works Here

Keep It up And Hope To See More From You

samking21
02-19-2006, 04:06 PM
sorry for my bad english

i need some point for making hi quality image ( color , sharp , details ) update my work quality

* your work good color this point from brazils render setting or light

* your work hi sharp cool antialiasing this point from brazils render setting

I can send you my question to your mail by arabic

beho
02-19-2006, 04:16 PM
As for colors, it's not about any renderer. You can get whatever you want from any renderer. May be if you choose a certain clip and talk about it would be good. I'll tell you how I did it exactly and may be you'll find what you want.
The antialaising in brazil has 3 presets. When I'm rendering the final image I use P3.
Of course you can send me an email.

Wongedan
02-19-2006, 06:16 PM
SUPERCOOOL, now Im studying VFX , do you know what is the first priority in VFX reels? is it the render?

thx, this is supercool btw ..

beho
02-19-2006, 07:27 PM
I think the first periority is your best skills, thanks.

AnharMiah
02-19-2006, 08:39 PM
assalamu-alaikum akai,

Thats really great work akai, inshallah I too hope to become as good one day. Thanks for the inspriation, my motivations sometimes takes a dip, but looking at these pictures has fired me up again !

I will be flying with you guys soon.

Anhar Hussain Miah

beho
02-21-2006, 12:08 PM
I just want to thank each and every one replied to and rated this thread. I was really touched. And I hope I always do things that you'll like. And please if there's any question that pops on your minds, don't hesitate to ask me.

String_max
02-23-2006, 02:04 PM
Great Work :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: ....5 stars Ahmed

bsfamily1
02-28-2006, 07:24 AM
so good.

i`m so impressed.

Nylz
02-28-2006, 06:45 PM
I really like your reel! Nice work *thumb up*
No doubt your cg works shown in the reel are just great!

But I also got 2 critics:
The download file is a zip, so its not possible to watch your reel "on the fly". I think many people prefer watching such reels direct as a stream "ok i know its bumped in a temp folder but many other people ignore that and think its "better" to watch it directly". I mean if there where any compression on your zip it would make sens but the zip file has the same file size as the included avi. So just upload the file as avi and not as zip. This is just a friendly advise with the goal that as many people as possible watch your reel - would be a pity if some people dont watch it only because they cant watch it directly.
The second thing i found a bit "irritating" was the changing music, the whole flow in your reel would be a lot greater if it where based on one throughout song (anyway the song you picked is just great and fits very good to your images!). But especially the change at 2:17 min breaks the atmosphere and flow in my eyes and ears ;)

Personal I think if this 2 points where changed, you got a really perfect reel - 4 stars from me for your great work!

beho
03-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Thanks Nylz for your critiques. I uploaded a low quality Quicktime version recently http://www.ahmed-vfx.com/video.html. The reason I made it a zip file is to be downloadable not streaming (thought that's better), and to name the file inside whatever I want because some browsers don't read spaces.
I really respect your opinion about the music, but a lot of people liked that change including me. It's possible that people dislike same things others like, but thanks for letting me know that you don't like it. I'll consider that in the next reel.

yagi2000
03-11-2006, 01:11 PM
I like the rendering! Quite amazing!

CGTalk Moderation
03-11-2006, 01:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.