PDA

View Full Version : Hiding IK or FK ctrls on an ik/fk blend

Aearon
02-12-2006, 12:28 PM
i was just wondering if you guys have any techniques for hiding ik/fk controls when using an ik/fk switch

how i wish that the hide and freeze properties could actually have a controller so you could do it easily...

up to now i used the bones itself for fk controls so this didn't present itself as a problem, but for the sake of clarity, i now want all animation on control objects that are shapes

i was thinking about having a script controller on some object for every ik/fk blend that checks for the blend value and hides/shows control objects based on that... maybe some other ideas?

PEN
02-12-2006, 06:09 PM
I do one of two things. Either scale an xform on the control to 000 or turn on and off a deleteMesh mod.

Aearon
02-12-2006, 06:53 PM
cool paul, can give some details on how you toggle the deleteMesh?

Aearon
02-12-2006, 07:14 PM
paul have you noticed any slowdowns with the xform technique? i like that you just wire this up, so no fancy tricks to get there, but with the xform the control objects actually get deformed, and that deformation will probably be evaluated on every frame with the ik/fk blend animated...

PEN
02-13-2006, 12:36 AM
I have never seen any slowdowns at all. As for dealing with the on off of a modifier then all you really need to do is just set the .enabled property of the modifier. I do this in a custom attribute where I have the spinner for the IK/FK switch.

Aearon
02-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Well i decided to do it with xforms, thanks for the tip it works great, with list controllers on the scale i can also easily get a lot of control over when an object should be visible based on multiple parameters and conditions.

CGTalk Moderation
02-13-2006, 10:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.