PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! changing geometry after skinning (maya)

jayz5043
02-12-2006, 09:30 AM
ive been working on painting skin weights on a model in maya for a good 5 or so hours- well i decided to change some verts and add some more (to help w/ shoulder rig) but now i cant paint any more weights- instead of the model turning black (smooth paint) its all the flat shaded grey and i cant keep painting- my teacher told me to bad that i hafta dump all the work and repaint- someone tell me hes lying!!

enbee
02-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Hopefully you have been saving in versions and you can go back to before you added more geometry. If you don't have this older version then yeah, I think you will have to start over. The thing you have to understand here is that everytime you add geometry to your mesh, Maya can rename all of the vertexes. When you are painting wieghts, you are assigning a wieght to these vertexes based on their name (or number, however you want to think about it). So if you had a vertex in the jaw, then changed some geometry, that vertex might now be in an arm.

But if you do have an older file version you have a couple of options here. You can use Maya's Export weights tool. Skin-> Edit Smooth Skin -> Export Skin Weights Map. However, this requires you to have your UVs set up first. In your case I would recomend using a weight exporter that you find on the internet. Just do a google search and you will find a few. I have recently used Micheal Comets cometSaveWeights and it works great. http://www.comet-cartoons.com/melscript.php Download his MEL Script Suite. His exports the weights for each vertex and allows you to import them based on world position and not vertex name, which is what you would need.

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2006, 02:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.