PDA

View Full Version : Tip of the day: Camera control for crazy complex moves...

halfworld
02-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Ey up,

I was going to mop up my XP challenge but I forgot my Dongle so I can't, that will have to happen next week, instead, here's a tip I prepared earlier!

About 6 months ago I was asked to put together (what at the time seemed like) a long and complex camera move, It required animating in Explicit mode, that obviously gives you more control over the camera, however, it got messy and I couldn't get my head around what each channel was doing, so Al suggested I litereally seperate every animation channel. It was such a lifesaver.

With this method a camera is now not controlled by one null, but by 6 or more, one null for each animation channel, this makes it a lot clearer in the project window and the function curve editor, it is a real life/time saver for those times when you look at the FCE and get brain freeze, you can see what is happening so much more clearly (and make faster adjustments).

Download a sample project (http://homepage.mac.com/cake_or_death/expanim.zip)

A related technique -and i'd love to hear if other people do this- is that I never animate the camera reference point, but instead use a 'Look at' constraint to make it stare at a null, I then animate the null.

It's the little things :)
Ian

AzOne
02-12-2006, 04:43 AM
Another great tip, Ian. Hope you don't run out of techniques to share :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2006, 04:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.