PDA

View Full Version : Stumped

TheMachinist
02-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Hey guys! I have a question regarding methods for getting a certain look out of blender.

I see all these renderings of some simple object sitting on a plane and the rendering makes the object AND the plane look like grey clay. like unfinished models in 3dstudio max. now, im a self professed newbie to 3d, but i figured putting a cube on a plane and rendering would get me close....BUZZZZ...WRONG.

any thoughts on how to get that look with WHATEVER model im working on?

Thanks! blender v2.41 by the way.

machinist.

raythex
02-11-2006, 12:18 AM
you go to material... world settings... turn OCC on. then go to ur render settings... make sure ray and env are on are depressed and hit render.

you'll probably end up with something like a cube with "shadows" around the edges where it meets with the plane.

if you use a more complex model... you get a more complex version of the "clay render" that i believe you want to achieve. though, i wouldn't waste much time rendering those out. if it take mroe than 20 min to render something in clay... ur gonna have a heck of a time rendering it in a unified render :P

and welcome to blender and happy blending.

cheers

ray

Hunkadoodledoo
02-13-2006, 12:11 AM
Also, if you were working towards a "realistic" clay looking render, I read somewhere about 3d renders looking fake because they have infinitely sharp corners. If you look closely enough at anything in reality, its edge is not perfect. There are pits and curves that add an element of reality that some people forget when modelling. So, if you imagined you had a clay cube, you know its edges would have at least a little bevel on them. Hope this helps!

Womball
02-13-2006, 01:48 AM
I bevel sharp objects, it seems to help. The corners are as sharp than.

CGTalk Moderation
02-13-2006, 01:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.