PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Challenge #2: Sphere♥

Sphere♥
02-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Decided to have a go at script #1 this morning. Meg's point of view as she first sees the kitchen from the hallway. Sorry, basic texturing only on a few objects, I'm lazy. Tried primarily lighting with moonlight with a few indoor light fills but probably the scene's too dark. Makes me realize how much light filling there is in the movies, what's missing, a big blue gel? Thanks for the fun Jeremy, you're trying to show us how tough your job is, right? :D

jeremybirn
02-12-2006, 12:10 PM
It looks like you could simplify the color scheme. Right now there are those bright orange cushions the command a lot of attention, then different areas looking green, blue, white... maybe just choose a tone or two for moonlight, maybe some highlights, maybe a consistent color for fill in the room, and leave it with just a few colors.

-jeremy

Sphere♥
02-12-2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the good pointers!

Sphere♥
02-14-2006, 08:46 PM
I looked up photo references for romantic moonlight dinners. I either got very dark images with the moon, often reflected on water, with black stenciled subjects in the foreground, or candlelight and/or very warm indoor lighting dinner scenes.

So I thought I'd try a hybrid of these for the fun of it, using the moon in the scene and having it reflect on the table as it would on water (with a strong enough bump), plus having a very warm indoor lighting to provide the romantic, warm and fuzzy feeling. Simplified the color scheme on all objects to grey tones (I realized I probably put the orange on the cushions originally looking for warm colors). (blurred reflections on the sink is noisy, sorry.)

Script #1, exact same point of view, Meg's as she sees the kitchen from the hallway the first time.

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/2340/s1t21bn.jpg

ToddD
02-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Hmm that moon is pretty distracting IMO.

Maybe a little less intense, and slightly less light inside the room to set the mood a little better? Or moolight along with candlelight might give a romantic feel.

My 2cents FWIW :)

Keep at it!

T.

Sphere♥
02-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the good c&c ToddD.

CGTalk Moderation
02-15-2006, 04:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.