PDA

View Full Version : Problem with UVGroups ->

GZ
02-10-2006, 05:32 AM
Hi all

I have a problem with UV GROUPS Button in POLYGROUPS sub-menu .
I unwrapped a model in 3dsmax into fine clusters and then I imported that unwrapped model to zbrush using obj format ( TEXTURE COORDINATES was on while exporting to obj ) . When I pressed UV GROUPS button to define polygroups based on UVs , nothing happened and all polygons of my model stayed in same color ! Why ? How can I define Polygroups by UV GROUPS button ?
My model is too complicated to define Polygroups by hiding\Unhiding operations and
using GROUP VISIBLE button .

Someone help me pllllllllllease .
:buttrock:

Beanmaster
02-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Hi. the problem is that you unwrapped the whole model in one 0-1 UV space thats one UV group for ZBrush. You have to move your UV pieces to the right. I hope this image helps:

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/2895/uvs9ic.jpg

eblondin
02-10-2006, 10:36 AM
edit------

GZ
02-10-2006, 05:04 PM
@Beanmaster :

Thanks for your answer . In ZBrushCENTRAL forums I saw an unwrapped model which was done in maya . I noticed there are numbers in Maya's edit UVWs window that define those spaces you mentioned . but there are no such numbers in 3dsmax edit UVWs window . How can I activate these numbers in 3dsmax ?

Upham
02-10-2006, 08:27 PM
This drove me nuts as well, and thankfully I finally figured it out!

So HERE's (http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/zland/Max/) a webpage shot in colour, in front of a live studio audience, that will answer your problems!

Note this is the long-winded version. The basics is to make your UV maps in Max, Split the mesh up into the material IDs using the mentioned Max Script, group the object, save the group as obj-export, import into ZBrush using the star shaped Poly Mesh 3D tool, and make sure MRG is turned on in the import settings.

Enjoy.
Upham :)

GZ
02-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Upham , thanks , thanks , thanks .

that UVMapper technique was really useful and handy .
you made my day .

CGTalk Moderation
02-11-2006, 12:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.