PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Challenge #2:ToddD

ToddD
02-10-2006, 02:46 AM
I chose script 2. I thought some overexposure along with that "just woke up" blur would convey the feeling of a not quite recovered Nick. Also opted for a dark kitchen so I could attempt to use the light to guide the viewer toward the bottle. All effects except for the double vision are straight from Mental Ray(GI only no FG yet)Glare camera effect in mRay for the overexposure. Used PS to create the ghosted blurry bits.

Todd

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/tbonz/hungover-01.jpg

Synthesizer
02-10-2006, 03:36 AM
Heh, it is certainly good for the point of view of someone hungover. I'll pass on something that Jeremy commented on mine, the bottle shouldn't be empty ;) Although I just hadn't gotten around to it yet, so maybe you haven't either. Where is this glare effect? I haven't heard about it before, or are you using XSI or something?

ToddD
02-10-2006, 04:26 AM
Thanks man, yeah I need to fill that bottle good point!

I'm using 3DS Max. Glare is a camera shader. I add it to the camera in the render dialogue, then drag an instance to the material editor where I can then adjust the amount of glare etc.

JeffPatton
02-10-2006, 04:44 PM
Neat, I like the confusing drunken blur... :) To me it seems a bit overpowering though. But it adds chaos to the scene...and I wonder if it would help to add more chaos by moving things around a bit (is that allowed?) For example, turn the bottle on it's side on the table. fill it halfway and pour some on the floor? Maybe knock a chair over (like someone fell out of it when he passed out). Knock some of the fruit off the dish, etc..

Again, I'm not sure if that's allowed or not or if it would help the scene. I just figure if someone is drunk...the kitchen wouldn't be that tidy.

neeg :p

ToddD
02-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Thanks Jeff!

I was thinking of some water stains on the table like someone had made a sloppy pour and the liquid dried on the table(break the refelctions.) Chair knocked over is a good idea, allowed? Appreciate the feedback!

Todd

Sir neeg of anywhere:bounce:

JeffPatton
02-10-2006, 05:47 PM
You know what, maybe you should just leave everything in place. Since the focus in on the actual lighting and conveying a specific feeling through that lighting...then I'm thinking that moving objects around would actually be considered conveying a story with the scene itself (and not specific to lighting)

I'm sure you planned on getting clarification on that before doing it anyway...but just thought I'd mention it now that I thought about it further.

jeremybirn
02-10-2006, 06:45 PM
The two biggest centers of attention (other than the window) seem to be the chair and the reflection on the table of the bright circle on the bottom of the upper cabinet. I think the chair could be toned down, the bright circle eliminated altogether, adn that you should find some way to make the bottle a center of attention.

Lining up the bottle with the edge of the window creates a false tangency that sortof camoflauges it - give it its own place in your composition before you start into lighting it.

-jeremy

ToddD
02-12-2006, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the feedback Jeremy :)

Taking into account what you have posted I adjusted the composition and removed the "hot" areas. I also added a caustic below the bottle to try to direct attention to it. Also attempting to create a stronger silhouette of the bottle against the window.

Oh stilll have to fill the bottle hehe

Thanks!

Todd

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/tbonz/vers2-01.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2006, 01:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.