PDA

View Full Version : C&C: Machinegun Test

ACFred
12-10-2002, 09:04 AM
OK, one more with Simon...last one...really!

I spent this morning making a machine gun that's easy to animate (rate of fire & recoil scale). I had to put it into the hands of little round-boy, and here's the test. C&C are welcome....and requested.....

This is a playblast done in Maya....

QuickTime Playblast (http://www.community3d.com/wip/machinegun_simon.mov)

DivX Playblast (http://www.community3d.com/wip/machinegun_simon.avi)

Again, critiques welcome.

Thanks,

Alec

lricho
12-10-2002, 11:36 PM
Your recoil probably needs more upward movement but you have a good rate of fire.
At the start, i would give a bit more time or anticipation before he fires. The first time i saw the animation, i thought there was something wrong with your lights flickering. It was only on about the 2nd or 3rd time i saw it that i realised he was firing right at the start.

ACFred
12-11-2002, 04:07 AM
Thanks for the input! I like your idea of more up-and-down motion in the gun. I'm adjusting the recoil formula to give more rotation in that axis (don't remember which at the moment -- I think X) when the recoil attribute is increased.

In the mean time, here's a rendered update with a camera cut and, to break up my day, I added simple sound effects.

Oh, also let me know if the fade-in takes care of any issues you had with starting the piece off with gunfire.

Here's the latest (QuickTime ~1.4MB):
Rendered Machine Gun Test w/Sound (http://www.community3d.com/wip/video/machinegun_sound.mov)

Thanks again!

Alec

bentllama
12-11-2002, 06:04 AM
Nice effort.

I take it you have never fired a gun, am I correct?

that gun would be way more out of control and random if fired with one hand. Especially if fired without the stock butted up against the character's shoulder...watch untouchables or something to get some good "tommy gun" reference, cause those guns were not that accurate...

the muzzle flash needs re-tooling and spent shells would be cool...

my 2.5 cents

thanks for sharing your aniamtion! :beer:

ACFred
12-11-2002, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I do need more kick on that gun. Already worked up a spent shell system for the gun -- needs a tweak or two but it spits out shells.

By retooling the flash, what did you have in mind?

Thanks again!

Alec

SlipKorn
12-11-2002, 08:46 AM
Also, watch his feet at the end...they're skating. Make sure they're locked down.

ACFred
12-11-2002, 08:55 AM
I'll look at the feet. I'm pretty sure there's no slippage. I don't think I'd make that mistake at this point in my practice. I need to work on other things, but I think I have the foot sliding aspect down :) .
He does do a lot of foot shuffling near the end when he's backing up that could be perceived as sliding.
Like I said, I'll take a look.

Thanks!

Alec

ACFred
12-11-2002, 07:09 PM
OK, I set off another render last night before I went to bed. This one has a less cartoony gun fire and also has shell casing emitters timed to the firing of the gun. For some reason the particles are doing something a little wonky. The casings are instanced onto the particles and the particles seem to have very little mass, consequently, the shells seem kinda light and moving in slow-motion.

Oh, I also added a little more kick to the gun recoil. I know it's not realistic still. When I attach it to a character with longer arms I'll have him do the traditional two-handed, wrestling a hungry bear technique.

This one's without sound:

(QuickTime 483KB)
Machine Gun with Shell Casings (http://www.community3d.com/wip/video/machinegun_render2.mov)

Lemme know what you think of these changes.

Thanks!

Alec

lricho
12-11-2002, 11:17 PM
Starting to look pretty good. The different camera angle at the start took care of the firing at the start problem. Sorta makes that more of the focus.

Like you said, your shells are a bit "floaty". I noticed that they dont exactly behave well when they hit the ground. A few are intersecting the ground and are spinning around crazily. They also seem to be a bit poppy, or jerky at some frames.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.