PDA

View Full Version : Warming Up

Ahmattu
02-10-2006, 12:22 AM
I'm in the beginning of the journey, I have question for Animation experts,
-------- my passion is doing character animation

will it be a useful or useless idea if I start my trials (initial projects) on CAT @ max, since I'm very familliar with the software?
or learn Maya from the beginning then start my character animation, since its that industry standard.

if we assume that I did good work on CAT, and if I found a studio that's looking for character animator or rigger, and they use maya (this is mosltythe case), can I tell them strongly that I can take this job, will take me long to be able to produce??, should I practice on maya b4 going there, how hard will it be to animate good on Maya??

I'm now on burning to start animating,

so please advice me, any hints will be helpful,

PS u can notice that I am
- super expert in 2d CG, inculding excellent flash animation, great familiarity with 3d on max.
13 years in cg

oops looks like stupid resume :banghead:

stewartjones
02-10-2006, 07:03 AM
Just work in what you're comfortable with.

Animation is the same in every program I've come across so far. If you have the principles (which no doubt you have) then you're set already! Learning the software is secondary. Having an overview of different software is not a bad thing, but concerntrate on making your animation reel awesome, and I don't think it really matters which software you use.

As for being a rigger, I think knowing the software is more of an issue. The principles are package-transferable in my experience, but knowing one great is a real bonus.
Depending on how big the studio they will probably only hire you to do either animation or rigging, and as you love animation just work on that! :) Having a knowledge of rigging doesn't do you any wrong tho!

Overall, the software shouldn't be an issue. If your animations rock then you have done the hard bit, learning the software is the easy part!

Ahmattu
02-10-2006, 06:35 PM
thanks for the valuable advice.

Abhimation
02-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Even if ur gettin the job to animate in XSI or Character Studio or Hash Animation Master...or blah blah... grab it !! For animating, software doesnt seems to be n issues.....

Ahmattu
02-12-2006, 02:26 AM
thanks Abhimation, i feel more confident now to start some stuff.

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2006, 02:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.