PDA

View Full Version : PROJECT PHOENIX ENTRY: Ian Waters

halfworld
02-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Well, here goes, my slightly cheesy concept is this:

A series of two images....
A thin tree branch with a chrysalis attached, then the same picture repeated to the right but with a magnifying glass placed over where the chrysalis is in the first image, it is revealing a butterfly where the chrysalis was....

Or perhaps the butterfly will be below their 'used' chrysalis for a one image solution.

Now to the headache of modelling it...

Sketches to follow (probably 3 minutes before the deadline ;)
Ian

percy06
02-10-2006, 01:50 PM
cool sounds nice 33.3% chance of winning now. that jacket seem to be getting further away from my grasp

halfworld
02-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Yeaw!

http://homepage.mac.com/cake_or_death/sketch-clean2.jpg

So, no excuse, I'm just not very good at this kind of thing ;)

Short focal length, we're in the undergrowth here, misty morning, dew on the leaves, delicate pastel colours in the out of focus background, the colours of decay at the in focus top, and vibrant colour on the butterfly. I may remix the scheme depending on what gives the most drama to the two main features of the set. The emphasis in this image will be on fine detail.

Now, one question... does anyone know how to model a butterfly?

Kidding ;)
Ian

AVTPro
02-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Well, here goes, my slightly cheesy concept is this:
Ian

You need to terminate that thought. This is far from a cheesy subject.

Tho' I chose not do it, I am very happy that someone is.

This topic is SO RICH. I wish they would run the Pheonix contest again with the same theme. I would enter again and do a completely different image.

Even if I don't get the jacket, I feel like a WINNER already because this contest has made me think CREATIVELY. No it's more than that. I think creatively all the time. This contest has inspired ORIGINALITY. It's deeper, I really haven't had anything that I have been wanting to say. Nothing really worth taking the time to say with art. Creating Art, for me, is like what Treebeard in LOTR said to Pipin. "Trees don't say anything unless it's really worth taking the time to say." I'm like Treebeard in that respect. It took so much time to produce a painting, I don't want to do it, unless I really cared about it. I couldn't dedicate that much time to something that was just superficial chitter chatter. Most fantasy, seem redone and vain (LOTRs or StarWars). I couldn't care about it. Now I feel like as long as it's deeply personal and said with clear intent from my own perspective.

Having something to say, and feeling it is really important is what I believe I have been lacking. Even it's it's not a statement just but just an emotion that is really important to share. I believe that is the motivation that I lost trying to make money with that had nothing to say except my rent is paid, or I have a new .... (whatever).

This contest is ending a long run of artist larengitis. I have found my new voice. I understand now. That's what I came back to Buffalo for. To find what made me tick. I wanted to share an incredible moment with others.

halfworld
03-08-2006, 08:26 AM
I managed to spend a couple of hours working on this last night.

I've never modelled anything organic before so it's a bit rubbish, but, given some more time, and some EIAS deforms I think it's going to turn out quite well. I also did a couple of the BG props and made a start on the dead chrysalis.

I'm doing this in FormZ which isn't really the right tool for the job, but it's the only one I get on with :)

Also started thinking about a lighting solution, HDRI might be the way to go, I found a nice undergrowth map... Hopefully I'll get to spend another half hour/hour on this tonight, time enough to model some plants... Just got to work out how to do that!

Ian

http://homepage.mac.com/cake_or_death/butterfly.png

bronco
03-08-2006, 08:41 AM
go Ian!!! :bounce:

nice start, as you said, with some deformation this will look good.

richardjoly
03-08-2006, 01:01 PM
Nice butterfly Ian! The lighting effects through theses wings will be very interresting.
Your looking for a macrophotography look?

halfworld
03-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Yeah man!

Crazy focal length, lots of grain :)

I simply don't have time to model all this stuff so I'm going to do the background foliage with Tree Pro (don't boo me!)

Ian

yhloon
03-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Very nice Ian, that reminds me the butterfly i model few years ago...:)

Loon

halfworld
03-09-2006, 10:07 AM
So, you're saying it DOES look like a butterfly? Phew!!

Today's instalment:
http://homepage.mac.com/cake_or_death/butterfly_9.jpg

I've already improved the foliage somewhat and started to texture it...

I need to do eyes... and placer deposit some hairs onto this baby...

Unfortunately I'm away from my G5 now until Monday so this is it for Pheonix until then (unless I do another render in my lunch break, which I probably will ;).

Ian

Reuben5150
03-09-2006, 12:12 PM
Looking great :thumbsup:

R

kevmo
03-09-2006, 12:54 PM
Looks good Ian.

I actually had a similar idea, but have been far too busy to enter.
The thing is: the EIAS logo used to have a butterfly as a part of their logo, I think it was blue...?

good luck

halfworld
03-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Hellooooo!

this is the current state of the project as of now....
I'll give you all a render after the weekend, so little time! Also, I have to say I'm surprised at how amazingly fiddley SSS is in EI....

http://homepage.mac.com/cake_or_death/cam.png

Ian

odwalla
03-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Nice Composition :thumbsup: It`s a small world but I feel like I`m in the vast world.

AVTPro
03-12-2006, 01:03 AM
I managed to spend a couple of hours working on this last night.

I've never modelled anything organic before so it's a bit rubbish, but, given some more time, and some EIAS deforms I think it's going to turn out quite well. I also did a couple of the BG props and made a start on the dead chrysalis.

I'm doing this in FormZ which isn't really the right tool for the job, but it's the only one I get on with :)

Ian

Nice job with the organics in formZ, It actually is a very versatile modeler.

halfworld
03-13-2006, 10:09 AM
So I spent some time reworking it yesterday afternoon and rendered it while I was at the cinema, time time time. :)

I'm using Raytracing AND DoF inside EI (something the manual tells you is a capital offence, but sod the rules eh!)

http://homepage.mac.com/cake_or_death/butterfly_9.jpg

The background is an uberrock and there is some LoonGrass™ in there as well. Tree pro did the red bush, render time is 1hr 18mins for 8 blur frames (c. 10 mins each).

The butterfly still needs surgery, it's next on my list. Thanks to all that are chiming in :thumbsup:
Ian

bronco
03-13-2006, 10:21 AM
woooh, very nice!!!
the background with the rock and grass looks a little uniform, maybe another light to push some contrast, but other than that: :thumbsup:

halfworld
03-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Yes, I agree, you can't really see where the rock stops and the grass starts.... I'll be sure to put some more light (and perhaps another bush) in there during my next bout with this project :)

Ian

tjs61822
03-15-2006, 05:26 PM
Nice colors! Only suggestion is to add some curve to the antennas. Looks great! :applause:

Tim

richardjoly
03-16-2006, 01:20 AM
I like it. I would use an even smaller DOF. In macrophotography, it is not uncommon to have a very blurred background, even the end of the top leave could be out of focus.

halfworld
03-22-2006, 08:51 AM
Hi all,

Here is my final, post was kept to an absolute minimum, this is essentially the render straight out of EI - there are two passes, one for the bg one for the fg.

It was a close one! I'm rendering 16 blur layers so the render time is looooong, hence I set it going yesterday morning, only to come home after work to find that the electrician had tripped the fuse and rebooted my G5, so I had to do it again overnight, and, it finished about 10 mins before I had to leave for work, phew!!!

Ian

DickM
03-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Great work Ian
Looks really good. When I first saw your render time I thought, what is this guy doing ;)

Once I read about your blur layers I understood. I guess a blur in photoshop would have disqualified you?

Good job! :applause: :applause:

richardjoly
03-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Very nice! The antennas are looking much better now. You scared me with the white ones... I did not comment on it for I knew it was not final at the time. Good job Yan!

tjs61822
03-22-2006, 01:55 PM
Great job Ian!

Tim

halfworld
03-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Heh, thanks! Glad you had faith in me hehehehe. Well, the FoV didn't work out the way I wanted it to, but I'm happy with this image and most importantly, I learned a truck load about both it and SSS.

The chrysalis is Mr. Revolver in case anyone was wondering where I used the plug...

When the contest is over and the mighty judges have received my bribe and deliberated upon it I'll post some other images regarding the blur.

Ian

yhloon
03-23-2006, 06:05 AM
Ian!

Very nice, I like it a lot, another great work...:thumbsup:
8+ hours, Surely I don't have the patient for it...
:)

regards,
Loon

bronco
03-23-2006, 06:58 AM
great work, Ian!
and i can feel the pain of a 8hr+ render.
for the next contest we need more freedom (compositing-wise)!

Vizfizz
03-23-2006, 07:00 AM
I will keep that in mind. :)

The next one I'm planning is rather unique.. but it will probably be a couple of months before it happens.

tbenesch
03-23-2006, 07:08 AM
Very nice job! Very tranquil feel with you color and composition choice. Lots of warm and fuzzies. 8+ hour renders.....reminds me of Strata Studio Pro and Infini-D.....cold shiver down spine.

Good job.

Troy

odwalla
03-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Nice work,Ian.8hours rendering time gave you excellent effect,I think.Congratulations
I have not rendered 16 blur layers,but tried GI render at sample 1 bounce 4times 3300*2340pix image.It took 3days...:twisted:

AVTPro
03-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Love this stuff. SWEET! nice blur and textures.

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2006, 05:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.