PDA

View Full Version : Fatmonk in little sash

Doogfei
02-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Hello, this is my first post on this site. This project was my senior project, as well as my first real short in maya. Hope you enjoy.
Thanks

-Doog

www.dlitos.com/fatmonk.mov (http://www.dlitos.com/fatmonk.mov)

here's a still pic of the fatmonk

http://dlitos.com/fatmonk.jpg

wtoddk
02-10-2006, 05:58 AM
walk cycles in the beginning aren't too bad... a little rigid though. But the rest of the animation is great. I love the shake on his belly! The characters are well modeled...but the environment is a little weak. Perhaps some changes in lighting and better textures would help a lot.

Good work on the animation!

HenningK
02-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Hey Doog. Im very happy to see you on these forums.
The animations real good except in the case of the opening walks and the shove from behind and his arms settling before he sits. The whole opening part til they sit down needs some rethinking. There's that awkward cut between them walking in and them walking in again, the first two shots. In my opinion replace one with a shot from behind them walking toward the head monk. This would establish the space early... and the earlier the better. Throughout, there is trouble distinguishing the head monk from the two skinny student monks. It cuts, and you dont quite know where youre looking unless the fat monk has deliberately turned his head there in the previous shot. And sometimes not even then. I would distinguish the head monk in his face somehow or at least associate a tapestry or some other decoration with him so we know at what we are looking instantly. This would help the punch line too. It would be cool if you could paint a blast mark there and show the masters spikes from over fat monks shoulder, just to make sure we connect the dots and "get it".
Lastly the environment could really use some more details and more descript lighting.
POstlastly, your facial animation is fantastic, it really *makes* the piece. Even the lipsynch is good. COngratulations getting Tanimoto to do the voice.
I really hope you decide to give this another look... it is deserving.
love,hen

EDIT: Oh, and post an image... youll get more views.

sogun
02-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Your film was fabulous! IMHO the only longer and coherent and enjoyable film since Supermoine.. And i'm actively scanning this forum for valuable short films. Well thought out, artful clever directing.

Technically nothing stung my eye because the constant humorous feeling you communicated. The tense cuts are also effective between for example:
- the preparation for monk-magic and the explosive effect of the magic.
- presentation of the threatening heavy rock about to fall and the effect of fallen rock.

mstram
02-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Very entertaining !

Did you use blendshapes for the facial animation ?

Mike

Doogfei
02-13-2006, 07:45 PM
No not blendshapes, I used a rig I set up of bones in the face, then made controller shapes so I could just fix the mouth, eyes, and other features as quick as can be. It was a bit of a pain learning how to set it up, but once it was it definitely made the animating part a hell of a lot more fun.

Oh, and thanks guys from earlier for the helpful suggestions and critiques, I totally see those very things myself and I'm definitely gonna be learning from these misteps with my next project.

:)

-Doog

ENL
02-14-2006, 12:10 PM
it's very hard nowadays to please me as I'm more the "action" animation fan but yours was great. Great story and all well put together with a great cast and mood.

Very Well Done!,

Definitely will be added to my favs.

Grats!

Alex

CGTalk Moderation
02-14-2006, 12:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.