PDA

View Full Version : Atatching a low poly mesh to a high one

Chris Bacon
02-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Are there any tutorials showing how to atatch a low poly mesh onto a high one...so I can animate in the low poly mesh switch to the high poly mesh and it will follow the low mesh so I can render in detail..

Cheers
Chris

JohnPark
02-09-2006, 05:47 PM
I'd recommend skinning the low-res character to the skeleton and then using a polygon smooth command to derive the high-res model at render time. You can add the smooth node and then flip the divisions attribute to 0 when animating and 2 or 3 when rendering.

-JP

Winner
02-09-2006, 06:41 PM
agreed with John.

or ...even duplicate your smoothed mesh, cut it into sections and parent them to each bone .. even faster !! ... but a bit of extra time to setup

yolao
02-09-2006, 08:58 PM
yeah..this is something that i wanted to know also...

but let say that i smooth bind the joints to a high res mesh...and i work all the paint weights, corrective shapes, blendshapes, etc..and then i duplicate that one an i turn subdivisions back to 0 on the duplicated mesh...
Am i still goin to have the smooth bind, blendshapes, etc...in the low poly version?..

flumpa
02-09-2006, 11:24 PM
I think that you can find a nice tutorial in the book THE ART OF RIGGING VOLUME 2.

http://www.cgtoolkit.com/

ashishdantu
02-10-2006, 06:26 AM
hi Vivec,

agree with JohnPark.

but u could also do what Winner says... u skin ur high res directly to ur bones. then u make a duplicate of ur high-res and delete history on it, cut it into pieces using separate option n u can parent each of this guy to the respective joint.

u can use this script as a shelf button: select bone and then the low-geo obj and hit the button.....

// PARENTs the low_geo to the bone and rename them
// USAGE: select bone and then the low-geo obj

string $boneNmesh[]=`ls -sl`;
for ($e=1; $e<size($boneNmesh);$e++)
{
parent $boneNmesh[$e] $boneNmesh[0];
select $boneNmesh[$e];
rename ($boneNmesh[0]+"_LowGeo");
}

and organise ur low-res objects into a layer and all high res mesh into another. so animator can easily switch between high - low res ..... so if u used the above code, u can select all the low-geo meshs quickly using : select "*_LowGeo";

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2006, 06:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.