PDA

View Full Version : light vs photon intensity

royter
02-09-2006, 06:00 PM
when using GI, is it a good idea to turn off the light intensity and let the photons do the job?

CaptainObvious
02-10-2006, 03:12 PM
What software are you talking about?

royter
02-10-2006, 05:15 PM
mental ray in maya 6

JDex
02-10-2006, 05:23 PM
I find that direct illumination is still necessary... gi and fg are secondary illumination methods and therefore are supplimental to direct lighting.

royter
02-10-2006, 06:40 PM
thanks for the tip!

now i get it

burtward
02-22-2006, 05:48 PM
yes thatīs right!
I just learned that yesterday during experimenting. I turned down light intensity and suddenly the directly light surfaces where darker than the surrounding surfaces which got illuminated by the GI bounced light.

...however a new question arose from there: how to find the "right/realistic" balance between photon intensity and light intensity? whatīs the connection (formula) within virtual lighting?

or is it just the good old "if it looks good...." thing? :)

floze
02-25-2006, 02:41 PM
yes thatīs right!
I just learned that yesterday during experimenting. I turned down light intensity and suddenly the directly light surfaces where darker than the surrounding surfaces which got illuminated by the GI bounced light.

...however a new question arose from there: how to find the "right/realistic" balance between photon intensity and light intensity? whatīs the connection (formula) within virtual lighting?

or is it just the good old "if it looks good...." thing? :)
Despite these are not the final versions of my 'thoughts' regarding this issue, it might help you understanding the crux:

Concerning lights: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=293775

Concerning shaders: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=228118
(there's a more finalized version available as pdf document at: http://individual.floze.de/fileadmin/files/cgtalk/florian_wild_DGS_exploited.zip)

I hope it helps. ;)

JDex
02-25-2006, 10:10 PM
Two tremendous posts Floze... thank you very much.

francescaluce
02-26-2006, 12:46 AM
Despite these are not the final versions of my 'thoughts' regarding this issueif I can ask sir.. what are your final thoughts ?
so I will say you really what I think about them.
:)

ciao
francesca

floze
02-26-2006, 01:48 AM
if I can ask sir.. what are your final thoughts ?
so I will say you really what I think about them.
:)

ciao
francesca
Mr./Mrs. Neo.
I neither have a math/physics degree nor I'm a programmer. The stuff I was deriving in the posts above and anywhere else is exclusively deductive brain-farts. I'm still in the process of getting the grasp. Go ahead and bash it.

burtward
03-01-2006, 07:21 AM
thanks, thatīs some invaluable infromation!

jeremybirn
03-01-2006, 02:54 PM
thanks, thatīs some invaluable infromation!

That's so funny, someone else using Burt Ward's name on cgtalk! Did you know that Burt does CG too? He runs a visual effects company in Culver City last I heard.

-jeremy

burtward
03-01-2006, 03:32 PM
thatīs really funny - I had no idea! ...but although I am from Europe, Culver City rings a bell for me: "JackFM broadcasting live from a dumpy little building in beautiful downtown Culver City".....
I spent 5 month in LA/Hollywood as an intern for a local special effects/broadcast company. Oh and Iīve been to Berkeley for 3 days - do you still live there? Seemed like a very nice place to live.

what else is funny? ...2 days ago I was reading through your book at the Vienna Public Library.

-stefan

jeremybirn
03-05-2006, 04:41 AM
It's a small world (not the planet - the CG community...)

Yes I live in Berkeley, it's right next to Emeryville where Pixar is. It's no Vienna, but it's nice. :)

-jeremy

CGTalk Moderation
03-05-2006, 04:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.