PDA

View Full Version : Getting DVD onto your PC??

BlissDD
12-10-2002, 08:16 AM
Hi All,

I am starting to get into digital compositing and would like to suck images from DVD to my PC in the highest definition possible....Whats the best way to go about doing this??

Cheers for your thoughts!! :)

Splice
12-10-2002, 08:34 AM
Hi,

The best way to do this would be to use a utility that changes the VOB files (DVD) back to mpeg 2 files. Then the MPEG 2 files need to be converted to quicktime or avi files to work in combustion...

As for best quality... you're barking up the wrong tree... The images are heavily compressed when placed onto DVD so it might not be great....

There is a saying I use... Shit in, Shit out .... It applies to this here... sorry....

Splice...

BlissDD
12-10-2002, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Splice
Hi,

The best way to do this would be to use a utility that changes the VOB files (DVD) back to mpeg 2 files. Then the MPEG 2 files need to be converted to quicktime or avi files to work in combustion...

As for best quality... you're barking up the wrong tree... The images are heavily compressed when placed onto DVD so it might not be great....

There is a saying I use... Shit in, Shit out .... It applies to this here... sorry....

Splice...

hey dude..

what type of programs can i use to do the conversion you mentioned??? As for shitin-shitout.....heard that before...its funny how many things it applies too :thumbsup:

Cheers mate

dmeyer
12-10-2002, 03:28 PM
hit www.download.com and lood for shareware. Don't know names of any particular ones though.

Be sure to not use the ripped video in anything other than messing around though, or you'll get your ass in a sling (copyrighted).

BlissDD
12-10-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by dmeyer
hit www.download.com and lood for shareware. Don't know names of any particular ones though.

Be sure to not use the ripped video in anything other than messing around though, or you'll get your ass in a sling (copyrighted).

hey dmeyer, (you are just all over these boards :p )

i was thinking about using ripped stuff to make up a comping reel??? will that go down well, or is it best to try and produce something original???

CHeers mate

beaker
12-10-2002, 10:11 PM
also:
www.vcdhelp.com
www.doom9.org

bunch of dvd ripping software on those sites and tutorials on how to use them.

BlissDD
12-10-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by beaker
also:
www.vcdhelp.com
www.doom9.org

bunch of dvd ripping software on those sites and tutorials on how to use them.

sweet...thanks again guys!!

moovieboy
12-11-2002, 02:24 AM
i was thinking about using ripped stuff to make up a comping reel??? will that go down well, or is it best to try and produce something original???

Well, besides the sticky issues of copyrights...

If this is for a comping reel, I assume you'd want to show it around... So, it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

If you want to show off your skills and seamlessly composite your cousin into a shot from Jurassic Park, then I guess it would be accepted without hassle...

But I recently saw someone who had comped in some "War of the Worlds" robots he built into a shot of buldings being bombed. It looked incredible, until I realized the background plate and explosions were from "Enemy at the Gates."

Now, the actual comp this guy did was impressive, but the moment you have to tell yourself "Okay, this guy DIDN'T do this and DIDN'T do that part of the shot," all of a sudden the whole work, IMHO, is lessened...

Personally, for anything beyond testing your skills, I'd go with original material, or stuff in conjunction with, say, a minature or 3D artist...

-Tom :D

BlissDD
12-11-2002, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by moovieboy
Well, besides the sticky issues of copyrights...

If this is for a comping reel, I assume you'd want to show it around... So, it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

If you want to show off your skills and seamlessly composite your cousin into a shot from Jurassic Park, then I guess it would be accepted without hassle...

But I recently saw someone who had comped in some "War of the Worlds" robots he built into a shot of buldings being bombed. It looked incredible, until I realized the background plate and explosions were from "Enemy at the Gates."

Now, the actual comp this guy did was impressive, but the moment you have to tell yourself "Okay, this guy DIDN'T do this and DIDN'T do that part of the shot," all of a sudden the whole work, IMHO, is lessened...

Personally, for anything beyond testing your skills, I'd go with original material, or stuff in conjunction with, say, a minature or 3D artist...

-Tom :D

yeah...some very good pointd there, however, if im just trying to put together a strictly 'comp' orientated reel....if i could comp some really funny short of a whole collage of material...i think it might go a long way....just a thought i had...

CHeers mate :bounce:

derelict
12-11-2002, 04:18 AM
better yet, ripped the whole starwars DVD and pass it as yours. Not many people will notice it ;)

Edit: i had too much tea this morning. Please ignore the above.

jason-slab
12-11-2002, 05:45 AM
lol dere
:applause:

BlissDD
12-11-2002, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by derelict
better yet, ripped the whole starwars DVD and pass it as yours. Not many people will notice it ;)

Edit: i had too much tea this morning. Please ignore the above.

yeah...not too many people watch that garbage <--- Sarcasim :D

nice one :bounce: :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.